Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 AM

15 posts, read 24,581 times

Advertisements

I live in Mich, and I am moving to Kentucky.
I do Construction now but I want to be a cop, should I find work in Kuntucky using the internet and Emailing them? or should i just find work after I move?
It sounds better if I find work first. but i'm 18, soo that means that I'm not smart.

This might belong in the Kentucky section, but it also deals with Work and Employment so i'm not sure where this gose.

What Part of Kentucky is best for getting work for Contruction?
What Part of Kentucky is best for getting work for Cop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
You might not be able to enter the police academy until you are 21. Around here most jurisdictions require an AA or prior military experience, preferably as an MP, before they will accept you into the academy, so you might want to consider going to college or joining the armed forces.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You might not be able to enter the police academy until you are 21. Around here most jurisdictions require an AA or prior military experience, preferably as an MP, before they will accept you into the academy, so you might want to consider going to college or joining the armed forces.
yes i know i have to be 21, and all people need to do to become a cop it to take one test, (and have to be fit and all that...) and its not hard.
prior military experience is not required just recommended.
College degree is not required just recommended.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraupp10 View Post
yes i know i have to be 21, and all people need to do to become a cop it to take one test, (and have to be fit and all that...) and its not hard.
prior military experience is not required just recommended.
College degree is not required just recommended.

You can't just "take a test" and become a police officer, you need to go through the academy and pass everywhere I've ever lived.

In Louisville, KY:

LMPD has an open and continuous application process. We are currently seeking people who are willing to accept the challenge to become one of Louisville's finest. We welcome new applicants as well as laterals.

Requirements for application:
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • No felony convictions
  • Be U.S. citizen
  • High school graduate/GED and at least one of the following:
    • Must have 60 college semester hours, or
    • Must have completed active duty military service, or
    • Must have spent 4 years in National Guard or Reserve, or
    • Employment as a full-time sworn police officer in the United States within the last 12 months with at least one year of experience
  • Pass the physical exam and strength/agility testing
This is about standard for every PD that I've ever been aware of.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
So I'm guessing you don't want to or can't afford college. If that is the case, here's what I would most likely do. I would join the military and go into something medical that could translate into a civilian job and THEN after being discharged, I would look into law enforcement. I would end up with 2 possible employment scenarios.

Another option would be looking for a job in a smaller town with less stringent requirements. BUT I would start going to school as soon as I got that job. Mainly because I would know if I wanted to move up to a place with more opportunities for advancement, I would need the schooling.

Or third, I would get a job with TSA. Government. Steady work, great bennies. And same thing, I would start going to school asap so I could advance.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:51 PM

202 posts, read 484,308 times
[quote=zraupp10;12821048]It sounds better if I find work first. but i'm 18, soo that means that I'm not smart.
quote]

Just what we are looking for on the Police Dept.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You can't just "take a test" and become a police officer, you need to go through the academy and pass everywhere I've ever lived.

In Louisville, KY:

LMPD has an open and continuous application process. We are currently seeking people who are willing to accept the challenge to become one of Louisville's finest. We welcome new applicants as well as laterals.

Requirements for application:
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • No felony convictions
  • Be U.S. citizen
  • High school graduate/GED and at least one of the following:
    • Must have 60 college semester hours, or
    • Must have completed active duty military service, or
    • Must have spent 4 years in National Guard or Reserve, or
    • Employment as a full-time sworn police officer in the United States within the last 12 months with at least one year of experience
  • Pass the physical exam and strength/agility testing
This is about standard for every PD that I've ever been aware of.
QUOTE from Officer EL Forestal.
"Fact, if you have common sense, clean record, 21 years or older, and possess good moral character than you can be a cop. Some people are just built mentally to be a cop, and some are not. It's really that simple. Some people no matter how many degrees they might have don't do well when the pressure is on. You see the oral board interview is designed to measure the reasoning and judgment capabilities of a potential recruit while under pressure. If they fold during the scenario questions, they won't move on to the final stage of the hiring process. But if they completely ace the oral exam, and get high marks on the scenario questions, they'll likely be offered the position.
In conclusion, if you want to become a police officer as quickly as possible the only thing you need to worry about is getting a top score on the Oral Board Interview. Luckily getting a top score on the oral exam is not as difficult as you think if you discover exactly what the board members are going to ask you. You see, all you have to do to prepare is to get a comprehensive list of the most commonly asked police interview questions"

Old 02-10-2010, 05:23 AM

I'll tell you what. When you turn 21, try getting a LEO job using that web site, then come back and tell us how it went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search