Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,991 times

Advertisements

I have heard stories of many brokerage firms that hire young kids, young 20's or so, without college degrees and will train them on the stock market and job requirements, as well as for the series 7 exam, to become a broker. I've heard many of these kids go on to make great money (ie going to the mall during lunch breaks and coming back with bags of gucci/louis vuitton clothing, for instance). I don't know if this and these brokerage firms are a thing of the past or not, but where may I possibly find such brokerage firms or jobs/opporunities? New Jersey and New York seem to come to mind for some reason. Does it hold true to the stories I have heard? Do you need a college degree or not? The people who told me these stories were referencing to the 90's and early 2000's. However, if possible, I would love to get my foot in the door this way at least. Appreciate the advice, thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
I've heard stories about fairies and mermaids, too.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I've heard stories about fairies and mermaids, too.
Good for you. I'm talking about brokerage firms.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
At one point you could get a low level job with Merrill Lynch with a high school diploma, but it would take years to work your way up from the copy room to actually being a financial advisor. (And see how far that strategy got Lynch...)

These days I don't think any of the investment houses will hire anyone who doesn't have a bachelors in finance, accounting, or some other relevant field except for the copy center job, and internal upward mobility from those types of positions are a thing of the past.

I know a guy in NJ who started with Lynch as an assistant something or other (gopher, basically) who worked his way up. He was also one of the first to be riffed a few years back. His lack of a degree has kept him from finding work in the industry since, and he's currently working in a mall retailer.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:45 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
This thread makes me think of the movie, "The Pursuit of Happyness."

The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)

Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
The thread is like in the Pursuit of Happiness, but that films also took place not in the current time.

Perhaps there is an ability of getting into some financial company and getting someone to train you as a broker. I think at my employer they would maybe get you in the door and train you to pass the exams Series 7 and Series 63-- BUT more than likely you would be on the phone and probably find it difficult to move beyond that role.

The way my employer does it is that they will hire you without the Series 7 and 63, they will put you in a training class-- and then sponsor you to take the exams. If you fail, you lose your job. Period. The ONLY people I have ever heard who have been able to retake the exam and keep their job are those people just on the cusp... i.e. say the passing score was 70 and they made a 68. Other than that that is do not pass go, do not delay, end of your job. I have seen some very smart folks who have not been able to pass the exams.

Also now my company is not even looking at internal employees to take on roles that require a Series 7 or 63 if the internal employee does not already have the exams passed. I have known a couple who wanted to roll the dice and go for those types of roles and try to take the exams-- the internal HR folks have told them that with as many people on the outside who are unemployed and have the Series 7 and 63 they do not need to try to hire people who do not have the exams and licenses already passed. I.e. they can hire someone who is qualified, already trained, and do not have to invest in huge training that may or may not allow them to keep the employee.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
The thread is like in the Pursuit of Happiness, but that films also took place not in the current time.
It's still reminiscent of the movie, which is less than four years old.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
The film and book came out in 2006, but Chris Gardner passed the brokerage exams back in 1982.

A VERY different time and mindset than the expectations in 2010.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:43 AM

372 posts, read 1,116,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Good for you. I'm talking about brokerage firms.
Haha...stupid.

You can't. It's bogus. Move along with your life. I'm being serious.

...And in case you haven't heard, and have been oblivious to this whole financial crisis thing, wallstreet is dead. There are no jobs.

Where the hell are you getting your information from? Late night info commercials? Pyramid scheme salesmen? MTV Jersey Shore TV Show?

I suggest you do your own research and you might find some more legitimate answers.

"OMG I heard this, OMG I heard that.." It's like gossip in middle school, don't always believe what you hear. Don't be a sucker.

To get into that line of business you need a bachelors degree, followed by an MBA and/or CFA.

But but but but but but in the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" he...... IT'S A MOVIE. NOT EVERYTHING IN A MOVIE IS REAL.

Last edited by blu_monk; 02-12-2010 at 06:55 AM..

Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Fire up the time machine and set it for 1950. That's your best bet for getting a company hire and train you without a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment