Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya Business View Post
One of the biggest problems in America today is that we have become too soft. Many of our ancestors endured deplorable conditions in order to pursue a better life in this country. They didn't whine about the number of hours they had to work; they didn't whine about the conditions under which they worked, either. They did what they had to do to survive and provide for their families. Nobody said life would be easy. Nobody said life would be fair. The sooner people come to this realization, the sooner they will be able to improve their lot in life. Success takes years of hard work and dedication. If one job doesn't pay the bills, then suck it up and work a second job. Or start your own business, like I did. Or improve upon your skillset, which would have the effect of improving your value in the marketplace. Your level of success is completely up to you. But most people only want to do the bare minimum to get by, and then they wonder why they aren't getting ahead in life.

Americans today are too pampered. This is especially true with the younger generation (my generation). Their parents spoiled them from the time they were born, and now these "grown children" are unable to cope with the stresses of the real world. Fortunately, my parents taught me the value of hard work. As a result, I am far more successful than most of my peers. At age 27, I run a successful business, own my own home, and have over $100,000 in other assets (cash, investments, precious metals, etc.) It wasn't easy. It took a lot of risk and sacrifice. But my efforts paid off. I have no sympathy for those who cry about the conditions that they brought upon themselves. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps instead of making excuses all the time. Opportunity is there for those who want it.
Yeah another I did great and so everyone else should and if they don't they must be pampered and lazy. Ignorance and arrogance is amazing on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Matt1984, I know folks who have worked 60 hours for years. As a white collar professional, the typical average I have seen amongst the exempt is 45-50, and I'd averaged close to 55 some years. There is nothing magic about 40.

What people should do is figure out how much money they need including savings, divide by their Fair Market Value wage that the market decides they are worth, and volla, they know, quite simply, how many hours of work will be needed.
So people should just kill working because they are being paid slave wages yeah I am sure it will work here as it works in third world countries.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
People love to scream about farmers and subsidies, but the government pours a lot of subsidies for people to have children. I don’t know when people will figure out that having a family these days is a luxury.

All the more reason to just get a dog.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Yes, people, when one is not making enough to cover their expenses, they should work MORE or CUT more. Free choice; I am delighted they get to decide individually.

Americans are soft now, and refuse to live the simple lives their ancestors never complained about. Deluxe cable packages, big screen tvs, multiple phone lines/types..those are luxuries..so the reality is if one feels overworked, cut those, save money, and volla.one needs fewer hours to pay their bills.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, people, when one is not making enough to cover their expenses, they should work MORE or CUT more. Free choice; I am delighted they get to decide individually.

Americans are soft now, and refuse to live the simple lives their ancestors never complained about. Deluxe cable packages, big screen tvs, multiple phone lines/types..those are luxuries..so the reality is if one feels overworked, cut those, save money, and volla.one needs fewer hours to pay their bills.
We are not trying to live the life our ancestors lived. I can think of very few people who want to go back to living in one room wooden houses. Society is trying to make life more easier not harder which is a good thing. Not every poor people have those luxuries. I guess instead of paying a better wage you should just tell the poor to work harder and get more skills while hoarding lots of money, Any excuse for greed it seems.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Really? We spend $200 per week just on groceries for our family of 3. That would take up the whole paycheck of somebody on minimum wage. Should the mnimum wage be raised up to like $10 hr? That would help I think?

Dont get me wrong, I am a small business owner and I know that would increase overhead for business, but something needs to be done when public assistance (welfare or unemployment) is more desirable than working.

I think if the minimum wage was raised up then that would reduce the number of people on public assistance.

Then again that would probably open up a whole new can of worms and make our business here in the states even less able to compete with the junk coming from overseas where they pay there workers pennies per hour? WTF ? Obama needs to put bigger tariffs or taxes or whatever it would be called on imports to be able for us to compete, its just not fair for what they pay there employees to be able to compete with us.

I dont know crap about how this country runs, I just know what we are doing now is NOT working!!!
The welfare system makes it too easy to get assistance. Every person who gets a government check should be required to put in at least 30 hours per week working for their check. Whether it is picking up garbage on the side of the road, or repairing and updating homes for the elderly, there is plenty of work that could be accomplished by them, even the stupidest and most inept of the bunch.

Two people working minimum wage can "make it" if they live a frugal lifestyle. In large, expensive cities like Boston, New York City, etc., they may have to pick up a second job. I am all for subsidized EDUCATIONAL programs to help people learn a trade to make more money. (provided, of course that they actually GO TO SCHOOL AND LEARN SOMETHING).

The problem in this country is that, for too long, people have been taught to "feel sorry" for the economically disadvantaged. When in fact, every day of the week, economically disadvantaged people are pulling themselves out of poverty through hard work and sheer determination. My philosophy is that if ONE person can do it, then anyone can.

Children in school need to be taught that they can achieve anything they put their minds to.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:

Yes, but is it also a luxury to expect to retire someday? Can't put much money away on minimum wage jobs, or even those ever so common $10-$12/hr jobs. Everything gets more expensive.... Except your time

Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Really? We spend $200 per week just on groceries for our family of 3. That would take up the whole paycheck of somebody on minimum wage. Should the mnimum wage be raised up to like $10 hr? That would help I think?

Dont get me wrong, I am a small business owner and I know that would increase overhead for business, but something needs to be done when public assistance (welfare or unemployment) is more desirable than working.

I think if the minimum wage was raised up then that would reduce the number of people on public assistance.

Then again that would probably open up a whole new can of worms and make our business here in the states even less able to compete with the junk coming from overseas where they pay there workers pennies per hour? WTF ? Obama needs to put bigger tariffs or taxes or whatever it would be called on imports to be able for us to compete, its just not fair for what they pay there employees to be able to compete with us.

I dont know crap about how this country runs, I just know what we are doing now is NOT working!!!
Why not just pay YOUR employees based on their "need"?

A single person living with mom and dad "need" minimum wage.

You should pay someone who is married with rent payments according to their "need".

But wait....that would be unfair to the person doing the same job for less money.

Are you starting to see the wrongness of unions?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
andywire, If one wishes to retire as most do, that becomes part of the equation for how much money they need. Again divide by their Fair Maret rate, and volla, they know how much they must work to meet their requirements.

Matt1984, I'm not talking 1 room 1700s, houses today could fit 3 of the typical families 1965 house. We do not need McMansions; if fewer tried to keep up with the Joneses, they would have less debt, and they would SEE their family..instead of needing intercoms in their huge homes to find their kids.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya Business View Post
One of the biggest problems in America today is that we have become too soft. Many of our ancestors endured deplorable conditions in order to pursue a better life in this country. They didn't whine about the number of hours they had to work; they didn't whine about the conditions under which they worked, either. They did what they had to do to survive and provide for their families. Nobody said life would be easy. Nobody said life would be fair. The sooner people come to this realization, the sooner they will be able to improve their lot in life. Success takes years of hard work and dedication. If one job doesn't pay the bills, then suck it up and work a second job. Or start your own business, like I did. Or improve upon your skillset, which would have the effect of improving your value in the marketplace. Your level of success is completely up to you. But most people only want to do the bare minimum to get by, and then they wonder why they aren't getting ahead in life.

Americans today are too pampered. This is especially true with the younger generation (my generation). Their parents spoiled them from the time they were born, and now these "grown children" are unable to cope with the stresses of the real world. Fortunately, my parents taught me the value of hard work. As a result, I am far more successful than most of my peers. At age 27, I run a successful business, own my own home, and have over $100,000 in other assets (cash, investments, precious metals, etc.) It wasn't easy. It took a lot of risk and sacrifice. But my efforts paid off. I have no sympathy for those who cry about the conditions that they brought upon themselves. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps instead of making excuses all the time. Opportunity is there for those who want it.
Somehow I don't believe your post. There is another poster on here whose always on here "bragging" about their six figure a year job and their big house.

I learned a long time ago that most sucessful people don't brag, and people who have money don't talk about it.

From living in the LA area for 20 yrs and having the opportunity to meet a couple of adult children of old time movie stars who are very wealthy, I can tell you they don't discuss what they have.

In fact one guy whose mother was a well known actress in the 50s who also invested heavily in LA real estate in the 60s prefers people don't know who his late mother was. I only know him through a friend and he is about a down to earth a guy you could ever meet.

And they don't just not brag because it is tacky, it's just not too smart to discuss what you have for safety reasons.(your precious metals comments). These days you never know who might be thinking to rob you or worse.

If you had stopped at owning my own business and buying a home that would have been OK, but IDK anyone who is well off who ever discusses what they have in investments. Or the amount.

Whether it is online or in person.

The only people who should know what you have are you, your family(and not is some cases), and the guy at Morgan Stanley.

If it it true what you say(which I again is doubtful) I hope you don't go around bragging in real life like you do here. You never know who is paying attention.

Somehow I picture you at a bar telling a girl about how sucessful you are and all your investments, meanwhile someone else is taking this all in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment