Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 02:38 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times

Advertisements

It costs way more money to eat healthy it's very simple to prove that you can do your own research inside any store. A half a pound of salmon costs more than a half a pound of cheap beef, the salmon is healthier by leaps and bounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It costs way more money to eat healthy it's very simple to prove that you can do your own research inside any store. A half a pound of salmon costs more than a half a pound of cheap beef, the salmon is healthier by leaps and bounds.
Publix has fresh salmon filets on sale for $7.99 this week. So a four ounce serving is a very affordable $2. You can buy them frozen at BJ's for a couple dollars a pound cheaper.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchs View Post
Actually the reason why this exists isn't really that simple, but is something that is being studied. There are also less grocery stores in impoverished areas as well; and instead there are mainly convenience stores (ie 7-11s) and fast food restaurants and that is what is available and accessible for them to shop.

Yep, I've lived in two cities now in two different parts of the country where the poorer areas didn't even have a single grocery store or supermarket. Both of these cities have at least 400,000-500,000 people. I imagine it is not that unusual. People who live in the poor neighborhoods have to either drive for several miles or get their food at a convenience store or fast food place.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
UM what about Mom's of dead beat dad's who shuck responsibillity..certainly when she started her family there were two people working making above minimum wage? But low and behold he abandons the family and she is ten forced to support the family alone. And lets say to avoid child support that father leaves the state vanishing...mom get's on welfare she make's 13.00 an hour at her job but now shackled with daycare the state wont help with because she make's 13 an hr...she end's up owing money at the end of the month due to it's summer and kid's are full time daycare at 3 kid's times 90.00 a week?
I think the comment of don't start a family if you are on min wage isn't always what the mom is planning on...sure thing's happen, birth control can fail...the poorest of women may not even be able to afford birth control at whatever the cost or get to a free clinic for that matter.
This country and those in charge should look at the condition of the working poor walk a mile in their shoes and work towards a decent solution.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
I also think that many of you are not considering that some of these people made more and had great lives in the past and are now being forced to take low-paying jobs. Two years ago I made $25 a hour, plus bonus and OT - not a fortune, but a comfortable salary. I'm now waiting for an offer for a temp job that will pay $9.00. Minimum wage here is $7.25. I don't know how much longer I can put off my student loans and there is no way I can pay them on that salary. (and I don't currently have to pay rent).

Most people my age have kids, and even grandkids at this point. So many people had good careers so of course they bought houses and had kids. Who thinks they will lose 2/3 of their salary in their 40s and 50s??? I can't imagine what I'd have to do if I had children to support, like my brother does.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um, 200 dollars a week for groceries? How on earth...?

And I sure as heck would NOT start a family if all I made was minimum wage.

But two people making minimum wage can make $30k or more...I know couples making it work on that...

Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually there are plenty of opportunities to move up if they are smart enough and driven enough to do so. They can move into management, environmental consulting, etc.

Not everyone can be a manager. There are only a certain amount of manager positions available. Not everyone has the ability to manage people and handle the responsibility.

Your logic is faulty. There are many more small businesses who can't afford to pay employees a higher wage and would either lay off staff or fold than there are big companies with CEO's making millions. And for the record, in most of those big companies with well compensated CEO's, most employees are making a lot more than minimum wage.

Frankly if someone is smart enough to become CEO of a corporation, then they are entitled to whatever salary package they can negotiate. If you don't like it, become the president of the Board of Directors of a corporation and change it.

Companies pay what they need to pay in order to retain the talent they need to retain. There is no reason to pay most minimum wage workers more than they make--simply put they are disposable and can be replaced the next day with another minimum wage worker. Employees that bring value to the company are compensated for that value. The days of making a good living just for showing up and fogging a mirror are over. Anyone who wants to make more than minimum wage needs to figure out how to add value--otherwise they simply aren't worth more than they are being paid. Shareholders demand profits, and you can't make a company profitable by paying people more than the market says they are worth.
If a small business can not pay a decent wage to an employee why do you even have that position? There does not seem to be a reason to pay someone for a position that you could do and save money. People are adding value just try not having someone in these positions. No one would be in the drive-thru when you order and you have to make your own meal. Enjoy doing that. Shareholders invested in the company and it is not the employees responsibility to make a profit for people who took a risk. I am not sure why you want to defend companies greed. Do you have an agenda?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
You certainly spend more than 30% of your pay on housing...closer to 80-90%. Rest goes to food, and you hope not to have to purchase clothes, or much of anything else. I have an electric razor--I don't pay anyone for haircuts, I do my own. I'm not a professional, so it doesn't look very good, but I don't really care that much about appearances.

I also don't have a car payment...I don't have a car at all. No gas, no insurance, no upkeep.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:48 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Many years ago, we purchased an old fixer-upper on the outskirts of town, very cheap. Not a McMansion, like everyone else was going for. It's still not finished to my satisfaction, but the mortgage is very close to being paid off. When the adjoining lot came up for tax sale, we bought that as well. It has a wooded lot where we cut fire wood, and I planted a large vegetable garden. We are still eating from it, and I freeze and can produce. I have apple trees and berry bushes also. I've been advised to relocate to find a good job, but there is no way I would do that. We can live here more cheaply than we could in the city, where we'd have to pay rent, our quality of life is better here, and from what I've seen, the pay in the city is not that great.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:07 PM

229 posts, read 293,584 times
it's definitely possible. Minimum wage in my state is 8.25 and ill use that as an example:

8.25/hour * 40 hours a week = ~$1200 a month AFTER taxes.

If you're not picky about where you live, you can get a decent place for about $600-700.
Food may cost $100-150 a month.
Car insurance and gas - $200 a month

that pretty much takes care of your BASIC needs. You should still have about $200 for all the other small things I haven't included but this lifestyle is very possible.
If you want some entertainment, you better pickup some overtime.

If you have a family then that's a different story and why are you working in a minimum wage job to begin with?
Why do people start having kids BEFORE they're financially secure? It's your own fault.
Minimum wage is fine where it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment