Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,219,336 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is off topic a bit, but I honestly wish stores knew how annoying it is when they hard sell opening a credit account. When I say "no" I wish they would leave it at that. There is one store where someone actually goes around to you in the store asking you if you want to do a credit card. Maybe they do make revenue through these accounts, but when you get too hard-sell, you may be losing customers in the process. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's cranky enough to be annoyed by this. I feel sorry for employees who are pushed into actually being rude in order to do their job. And I would say the same for the banking industry of which I am a part. Thankfully, the bank I work for hasn't taken on a "sales culture" yet. Ok ...enough of kaykay's rant....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,661,192 times
I hear your pain. I work in retail and when I am working as a cashier they like us to ask people if they wish to purchase the "deal of the week". Most people find it a pain, but, I'm sure enough people do purchase them to make it worthwise, but....

Old 02-16-2010, 04:39 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,401,038 times
Again, I want to thank the OP for bringing this to everyone's attention. I closed all of my department store credit cards over 10 years ago. Anything I purchase at a department store is either paid for with a debit card or cash.

I have no problem with "deal of the week", etc. Stores are in business to make money. Also, I have no problem with credit solicitors, maintenance agreement solicitors, etc. I've done some of this myself. What I do have a problem with is the scenario the OP described. I believe I heard a similar conversation this summer at one of Macy's competitors in the south. This tactic may be legal but I wish there was a rule that would let the consumer know they are having a credit check ran. When people are in a hurry they probably don't even realize what is happening. I can also see a problem with elderly customers.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 02-16-2010 at 04:50 PM..

Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM

7,990 posts, read 10,555,362 times
The people at the top are so out of touch that I don't believe they get the we actually lose customers because of this high-pressure, hard sell approach. I stopped going to a favorite book store in the mall I work in a couple of years ago because I got SO tired of being asked if had one of their "reward" cards, or whatever it was. I just absolutely dreaded it, so I stopped going there. Do they really think this kind of stuff is good for business? Because the "head honchos" rarely actually step a foot into a real store, I guess they are just that clueless.

I went through my bank's drive in just the other day and before I could leave (just cashing a little check) the telller had to ask me whether I wanted someone to call me about my "investments". I guess if I actually had money to invest, I would have the smarts to call someone about my "investing" practices on my own accord, wouldn't I? Bless her heart, I could see she hated asking me. What happened to just asking if your kids want any lollipops?

Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,401,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
The people at the top are so out of touch that I don't believe they get the we actually lose customers because of this high-pressure, hard sell approach. I stopped going to a favorite book store in the mall I work in a couple of years ago because I got SO tired of being asked if had one of their "reward" cards, or whatever it was. I just absolutely dreaded it, so I stopped going there. Do they really think this kind of stuff is good for business? Because the "head honchos" rarely actually step a foot into a real store, I guess they are just that clueless.

I went through my bank's drive in just the other day and before I could leave (just cashing a little check) the telller had to ask me whether I wanted someone to call me about my "investments". I guess if I actually had money to invest, I would have the smarts to call someone about my "investing" practices on my own accord, wouldn't I? Bless her heart, I could see she hated asking me. What happened to just asking if your kids want any lollipops?
The lollipops have turned into opportunities to sell products.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,466,176 times
As long as nothing stops the customer from saying "No, I am paying with cash", I don't see too much problem. Some people prefer to buy now pay later -- and they should realize that means using credit.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,382,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As long as nothing stops the customer from saying "No, I am paying with cash", I don't see too much problem. Some people prefer to buy now pay later -- and they should realize that means using credit.

Please read the OP. Then you understand the problem.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:03 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
It really looks to me that the cashiers came up with this as a way to satisfy their qupta from waht the Op says. Why;because he/she says she doesn't do it/ She alos does not say that any management told them to do it. Its like amny thiongs that employeees do that are not ploicy and even employeees to the management level may approve. but the real poicy of rrewadrs is to get new accounts .But even then their are lots of soft credit check in a credit score and many can run them that have the authroity of the reporting agencies to do so. Not very credit check effect your score the same way or often in anyway.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,382,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It really looks to me that the cashiers came up with this as a way to satisfy their quota from what the Op says. Why;because he/she says she doesn't do it/ She also does not say that any management told them to do it. Its like many things that employees do that are not policy and even employees to the management level may approve. but the real policy of rewards is to get new accounts ..

Thats exactly right. There are certain associates that do this to meet their quota and receive the rewards .. Managers knows but turning a blind eye. A year ago a girl was fired for opening joint accounts under couples with only one of the parties present.
One time she did that was also the last time. This is what happened ,
a lady came in and she already had a Macy card. So this sales girl ask if she is married, and the customer said yes. Then the sales girl ask if she wants to open a joint account with her husband. It would be a brand new account with an extra 20% savings. So the customer says sure, I'm sure my husband wont mind.
Well, needless to say he did mind, very much so. He came in furious a week or so later wondered who the hell authorized a credit card to be opened in his name without him being there.
Sure, his wife authorized it you might say, but in reality, if you are opening a joint credit card, both parties have to be there and sign the dodded line.
It went so far that he threatened to sue, went all the way to corporate, and they ended up making sure that this credit application was removed from the records.
Well, this stuff was going on for a while. People ( associates ) getting an insane amount of accounts activations per day!
So did the management know about it. Lets just say that they are all under pressure to meet their quota. And I truly belive they knew, they didn't ok it, but they didn't do much to end it either.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,345,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I dont not want to mention where this take place but I need your advice on what to do.
I work at Macys. As some of you already knows we are forced to activate new credit card accounts as part of our job. Where I work we have to open 4 accounts per 40 hour work week. I am not the person to push any customers to applying for a credit card they don't really want. I tell them the benefits and how much they can save on the purchase, and if the customer says no, I leave it alone. There are those who pushes and pushes until they get a yes, and that's fine I guess. If They are still following the rules.
My issue is what some assocaites are doing to get people to applying. It is quit disturbing and I can't belive they get away with it. To me it is immoral and fraudulent. You have to understand that when we are running a credit appliaction we get rewarded for it. We get cash, store-bucks, and other attractive "prices"for each account we activate.
So what are some associates doing to get around 5-10 account activations a day!
They tell our customers that they are going to "up-date an existing account, or print out a shopping pass" Both this procedures will run the customers credit, and most people know how bad it is for your credit score to do that. And not to mention, very unnecessary. We do not update your card at the store level, that the job of the credit department, and we can't print shopping passes, unless you are applying for a new card.
This customers have no idea that this is happening. They think they are going to get a "shopping -pass " because they left their Macys-card at home, when in reality all the assocaite did was to run their credit and activate an account that was already active and a shopping pass prints out.
What are you guys thoughts on this. Am I fussing over nothing?
I would anonymously report it. Keep your own identity out of it but gather names, dates etc. for your report. Thats wrong what is bring done and if I were a customer, I would be so pizzed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment