U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 PM

9,910 posts, read 13,383,363 times
That unfortunate trait in human behavior- inability to to put oneself in others' shoes, because that would involve the employed or snarky person having to consciously know that I COULD BE NEXT, therefore it must be YOUR fault you don't have a job.
I've seen this in my psych RN job, on the occasions where someone is assaulted, rare, but an occupational hazard. You get about five minutes of "Are you OK?" and then the snarking begins- "He just has such an abrasive way with patients," "She doesn't approach that guy right," "That wouldn't have happened with me because..."

Another thing I noticed, at my job, if a patient suicides (in or out of hospital) there are meetings, processing, blah blah. If someone is assaulted, too bad. Once someone actually said, "Your job is to duck." To be honest, if I've done my job as best I can and according to policy and law, and someone suicides anyway, it happens. If I get suckerpunched or have my head smashed into a wall, I must admit that bothers me a lot more. If I come in for my night shift and evenings says, "I'm really really afraid about so-and-so," I wince, wondering if I'm being handed an unsafe situation. "He's really suicidal." 'whew' There are things we can do to try and keep him safe. I don't wanna get hurt or see my assistants in danger (who are more likely to be on the floor with the patient anyway).

Regarding my $50K admin. asst. sister, most jobs in her area are asking for a couple of years experience and are paying way less than $50K. She doesn't have any unusual skills- just a long time at one company that had good raises and great benefits (and then a consolidation of departments). My sister also is a magnificent cook. For a while, she was starting a side business of catering small house parties, celebrations, house events. She was terrific at it but now says she only wants "word of mouth." She had thought of it as a retirement job. If I had her skill, I'd go into overdrive now and rev up that business while I look for an admin. asst. job, and if I got the AA job, do both. But "positive thinking" seems to hold her back from acknowledging those downsides that actually exist (in many areas, not just jobs). I think a positive outlook helps people carry on with their heads up ("fake it until you make it") but I don't think we have that much power over the results. People with that mindset cannot tolerate any information that doesn't suit them, and often have an attitude that negative results must be the doing of the unfortunate recipient.

Oh. "Everything happens for a reason." I hate that, related to anything. Yes, if you get lemons, you can make the effort to make lemonade, but that's not why you got lemons. You just got them, especially in this employment environment. More blaming the victim so as not to share that "fate."

I said, "If everything happens for a reason, then what was the sh*t in Rwanda all about?"
My sister's spiritual answer? "F- you, b---." Ah, inner peace.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 02:06 PM

2,482 posts, read 1,599,649 times
"Go to temp agencies"

Gee, why didn't I think of that?

Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM

3,767 posts, read 3,800,315 times
"Go back to school"

For what??!!! I already have an associate's, a bachelor's and a master's and a lot of frigging good they're getting me! So I should get another degree so I can be even more overqualified?

My GED-holding hubby hasn't had half the problems I've had getting jobs.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM

90 posts, read 401,013 times
The Big Three of phrases

"You need to network"
"You need to take"anything"
"You need to move out of state where the jobs are"

I swear I will take a swing at the next person who says any of those to me

Old 02-23-2010, 03:51 PM

475 posts, read 935,534 times
How about: "I can't even get a job at Walmart" "500 applicants for one job" "there are NO jobs" " there are no good paying jobs" " I have given up, I'am so depressed" "why should I take a job that pays less than UE" "I bought 4 mx bikes with my SSDI money" "why don't you shut up Dick" "how can I live on 12/hour"

The list can go on forever! Yes, I know, I have forgot a few.

Dick

Last edited by dick1973; 02-23-2010 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: grammar and speling

Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 AM

2,482 posts, read 1,599,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
The Big Three of phrases

"You need to network"

I hear you!

Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,788,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
The Big Three of phrases

"You need to network"

I hear you. I have voiced my opinion on "need to network earlier" and do not want to enter into another discussion regarding the topic.

We have a wide range of ages, experience and education on the forum. Many of us will not be hired for "just anything". Believe me . . . I have tried and so have many, many others.

Moving out of state . . . an option for some and not for others. It's not an option for me because I have a home with no mortgage.

All I know to do at this point is grit my teeth and keep being super stingy. I have cut back on my volunteer work and am taking some refresher type courses on line.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 PM

2,033 posts, read 2,355,242 times
Wow, I can relate to just about every post on this thread! I am so sick of hearing all of these phrases over and over again! "Just take anything" is one that really gets me....I am overqualified for a "just anything" job and would take one if given the opportunity!! The 'just anything' jobs know that if they hired me, when/if the job market rebounds, I will be gone!

I am not relocating either....I don't know if people are aware, it takes money to move!

I started volunteering last October to try and network that way.

I tweak my resume and have others look at it and critique it.

I am truly doing the best I can to find something. I am not above working for a lower salary than before....that iritates the he@@ out of me when people assume that I would not!

Pheww.. sorry about the rant.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:29 PM

155 posts, read 237,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Right...like don't you think if we could all predict the future, that we'd have avoided this mess completely?

I'm not calling out anyone in particular, but some of the engineers who post on this forum are the worst at this. Because some of them have stayed lucky during this recession, they seem to extrapolate that as them having some god-like ability to avoid failure. I'd go as far as saying that many of them probably do suffer from a god-complex.

Really? I haven't noticed this.

-A laid off chemical engineer

Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,004,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Regardless, it's disconcerting and unproductive.
It's not necessarily unproductive. Perhaps future college students will read these threads and it will help them decide what major to pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment