Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,040,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
You don't learn art in school. And certainly not in Art History.

The level of respect we give the social science majors is grotesque and harmful in my view. It perpetuates an environment in which genuine know-nothings succeed (relative term, to mean advance in a large corporate structure) with pieces of paper that require no intellectual talent or growth whatsoever. A borderline retarded 9 year old could pass upper-level psychology, sociology, philosophy, et al.
You really think so? Okay...
And I think implying 'it's foolish' to believe in God belongs in another thread.

What do you for a job 'thinkin about it?' What degree(s) do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Your post was a parody, right? I mean all those great perks you talk about are the essence of my earlier post, they mostly got sucked away into the void the same time all those jobs got sent to India, etc.
No, this is the way it has been since the 1980s when I started working. It's that way now too. I've never worked for a company that didn't have fitness facilities (sometimes it was on an Air Force or Navy base though). All provide flex time. My last company encouraged telecommuting - only for people who don't do classified work. Now, it seems the benefits are tightening up - getting a little bit more expensive. At one point my previous employer started 401(k) matching with company stock rather than what mutual funds or whatever we had chosen. The relo policy tightened up a little; my previous company doesn't have the guaranteed purchase of your home (if you can't sell it) on a relo anymore unless you are an executive.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No, this is the way it has been since the 1980s when I started working. It's that way now too. I've never worked for a company that didn't have fitness facilities (sometimes it was on an Air Force or Navy base though). All provide flex time. My last company encouraged telecommuting - only for people who don't do classified work. Now, it seems the benefits are tightening up - getting a little bit more expensive. At one point my previous employer started matching with company stock rather than what mutual funds or whatever we had chosen. The relo policy tightened up a little; my previous company doesn't have the guaranteed purchase of your home (if you can't sell it) on a relo anymore unless you are an executive.
Charles is right on a few points. Some companies do offer a gym or telecommuting.
I was on 100 best companies (Money magazine site) because someone I knows works for one of them in the NY Metro area....what they get there is SWEET. I wish I could work where they have a full cafeteria AND gym (that's just the tip of the iceberg).

Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,677,650 times
I am college educated, but, I sure don't follow the path of a normal career....praise the lord! I am glad that my parents gave me education and the ability to not have to follow that boring routine that to me is deathBlahhhh.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I am college educated, but, I sure don't follow the path of a normal career....praise the lord! I am glad that my parents gave me education and the ability to not have to follow that boring routine that to me is deathBlahhhh.
Where are the normal careers in Northern New Hampshire anyhow?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Where are the normal careers in Northern New Hampshire anyhow?

Well I have not lived my whole life in northern NH only the last ten so my life could have taken me someplace else. I worked in Nashua NH for one year in a cubicle like office building for one year and uggggg....it sucked the creative life right out of you.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I worked in Nashua NH for one year in a cubicle like office building for one year and uggggg....it sucked the creative life right out of you.
Think about all the people at Intel, Apple, Raytheon, Microsoft JPL, Johnson Space Center, Boeing, Corning, etc who work in cubes. Doesn't stop them.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Think about all the people at Intel, Apple, Raytheon, Microsoft JPL, Johnson Space Center, Boeing, Corning, etc who work in cubes. Doesn't stop them.

I ponder there life a lot and I know it isn't for me

Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,631,228 times
Quote:
Corporate life is great. Great benefits, flexible work schedules, easy to change jobs, easy to change locations (transfer), comfortable working conditions, perks such as on-site fitness facilities, pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, carpool/rideshare/vanpool systems, free education reimbursement, free training. Surrounded by other professionals with whom you can share stories or solve problems. Satisfies a good portion of the need to socialize because you are surrounded by all sorts of people. There are lots of clubs and after work activities and teams. Want more money? Just change companies every few years.
I agree-- I love my corporate job. I get incredible benefits, awesome tuition, fitness, computer, adoption, emergency daycare, etc reimbursements. Not to mention all of the other perks I get due to the purchasing power of my company. I get awesome profit sharing, 401k matches, etc. I get a retiree health care benefit fund where my employer dumps money into it each year for me. I get 4 weeks vacation, various type of leave programs, good benefits for short and long term disability, long term care, etc. I enjoy working with my coworkers even in the stressful times. I also get good bonuses, raises, and promotions-- and extra payments for being a top performer.

It is all relative to where you work-- I found that I have worked for some poor companies and I have worked for some very good ones. I like the ability to be able to jump from one company to another-- I was surprised that even in the two worst years I have financially done better each year-- based on the benefits, reimbursements, and bonuses that my employer has paid.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:24 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,261,863 times
Quote:
You're probably correct - for five percent of those students.
Five percent of all art history majors in the country? That sounds about right. But I think the number is substantially higher when talking about Ivy League graduates. And that's the point. I'm really just nit-picking with you. You should have used an Art History major from UMass as your example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment