U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2011, 12:03 PM

27,430 posts, read 20,815,324 times
Sometimes life seems to be nothing more than an extension of high school.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 PM

21,723 posts, read 25,367,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had a coworker who flat out lied about me. She worked at trying to get me fired. Get away, you can't win with that kind of ongoing drama. If someone lies enough, people will believe the lies. It becomes a cycle, where you are trying to defned yourself against vicious ongoing allehations that are not even true. She said I was having sex with patients, true, she "forgot" to mention on was my boyfriend for over five years, and not even "my" patient. Crazy stuff, that is woven with partial truths. Who can win against that? When you work with crazy people the best defense is offense, steer clear, and try to get away before they destroy your career, just out of petty spite, and meanness.
This scenario is quite different from yours as it appears that the complainants in this case are several and unrelated ...

Old 10-29-2011, 12:23 PM

19,787 posts, read 16,438,236 times
I wouldnt know what its like to be unliked to that extent at work. Every place Ive ever worked has always been interesting, and my co-workers actually tell me they enjoy working with me....despite that Im not exactly the brightest cookie around and screw up.
But if I read correctly, you might fare better in looking for something else. Get out of that rut youre in...

Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 PM

17,210 posts, read 21,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sometimes life seems to be nothing more than an extension of high school.
Some years ago my elderly mother moved into one of the (rather nice) seniors buildings.
Her biggest complaint was how catty and cliquey the other old ladies were: "it's worse than junior high".

Something to look forward to.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:51 PM

496 posts, read 394,695 times
Default ..Annonymous Complainers usually the real trouble

I have seen this tactic used over and over again in workplace.

Someone is confronted about some unspecified no. of annonymous complainers with no specific feedback being given.

In my experience, the real troublemakers in the workplace, the people who are really difficult to work with are seldom targeted by management.

What I find is that very often, management actively seeks out negative feedback about a person who is the the target of management's opposition. In other words, mgt. goes out looking for complaints about you. That type of activity in and of itself puts everyone on alert that you are a vulnerable subject - and once they know that, the "complaints" will be free flowing. You can sneeze the wrong way under those conditions, and find your behavior classified as "disruptive".

Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,501,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
The only proper way to handle a complaint between employees is to 1) discuss it one on one; then if that doesn't help, 2) file a formal written complaint with a signature. Then the supervisor brings in the people to discuss the complaint one-on-one with the supervisor's supervision, and all parties get to discuss solutions.

As I told my employees and employers numerous times over the years, if you don't have guts to stand behind your complaint, and substantiate it, then it does not exist and is just whining. NO. WHINING. Sadly, too many so-called "professionals" like to torment and bully others, use their workplaces as emotional gratification resources, and encourage their co-workers and employees to do the same, instead of behaving professionally.
+1

I know this thread is old, but I had add reputation to this post.

I am the type that generally thinks coworkers should speak directly with the person they have an issue with, and only involve a boss/manager unless said person doesn't listen to the coworker(s), are very confrontational, if the problem escalates, or the problem is severe. When coworkers smile, greet, act as friendly as usual, without saying anything about their issue(s) personally, only to complain when the person isn't there, it's passive aggressive, and I can't stand that.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,414 times
Thanks very much. You were right on the mark. No matter what I did or how I did it, these 2 other teachers found fault with something. I ended up using my 150 sick days that I'd compiled and left. I've asked to be transferred. This also happened to 2 other teachers who came from my previous school. They are also leaving. One of the Board members had twins in the complaining teacher's class. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but he pulled both kids out, left the Board and put his kids in another school district. People are figuring things out about that school.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 AM

984 posts, read 842,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I have seen this tactic used over and over again in workplace.

Someone is confronted about some unspecified no. of annonymous complainers with no specific feedback being given.

In my experience, the real troublemakers in the workplace, the people who are really difficult to work with are seldom targeted by management.

What I find is that very often, management actively seeks out negative feedback about a person who is the the target of management's opposition. In other words, mgt. goes out looking for complaints about you. That type of activity in and of itself puts everyone on alert that you are a vulnerable subject - and once they know that, the "complaints" will be free flowing. You can sneeze the wrong way under those conditions, and find your behavior classified as "disruptive".
The best way to approach it is to be on the defensive, give your co-workers no options, no information, trust no one, and always be looking for opportunity to nail at *******s work, and point their failings, compile information on them, have more information and be one step head of them all the time. Try to do a better job at all times

If they think your weak, or an easy target they will try this- this type of behaviour is driven by job insecurity - and the name of the game is to keep themselves in a job by making their colleagues look bad - its everywhere.

Below the fascade of an average office is economic warfare. The sooner you learn that everything in work comes down to competition the better off you will be.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 AM

5,517 posts, read 5,397,275 times
Crybaby coworkers.

When I was laid off, on my exit interview, I learned that I had "upset" two people, by correcting their wrong and half assed work, well over half a year prior.

I believe that many inefficiencies in the modern work place are made because nobody wants to "step on any toes", so theyll just let shoddy work exist, so as to not make the originator of the work cry.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,414 times
Thank you for your posts. Most of them were supportive and helpful. I decided to involve my Teacher's Union, but by that time the issues were affecting my physical as well as mental health. I used my 150 sick days to improve my health with my doctor's approval. Since then, the teachers and principal involved have treated 2 other coworkers the same way. The first one took early retirement and the second one involved the union lawyer and the supt. The supt. gave her a choice of open positions in the district for next year and promised she would not have to return to that school. In the meantime, a school board member who had twins in the classroom of one of the complaining teachers, removed his children from not only her class, but from the district and resigned his board position. I've asked for a transfer and I'm currently waiting to hear where I'll be placed for next year. At this time I've had to contact the local police to help me retrieve my personal items from this school. That leaves only one young teacher with the 3 people whose behavior is clearly unprofessional. We've all advised her to get out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment