Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 PM

475 posts, read 1,303,071 times

Advertisements

I am a high school science teacher and I LOVE it.

Pro's: Challenging, FUN, rewarding, exciting, never wish I wasn't at work

Con's: LOW pay, BS state mandates, long hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 AM

11,185 posts, read 10,963,202 times
I ran freight trains for close to a decade. It was my childhood dream. From a certain perspective, I consider myself blessed to have had the opportunity. There's really no other feeling on this earth that I have experienced that is comparable to having 20,000+ HP at your fingertips.

I enjoyed the physical job, the pay, and the benefits immensely.

It was the constant on-call status, always travelling away from home, living out of a duffelbag, spending many Christmasses in hotels, bad politics and drama, and never seeing my family that drove me to walk away and return to school for my Bachelors and possibly Masters degree.

I plan to stay in the rail industry - just a much different area of it.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:52 AM

683 posts, read 1,147,313 times
Lawyer. I enjoy it very much, and can't think of anything I'd rather do. It is very rewarding to help people who have been injured or damaged by someone else, and try to remedy the problems, at least somewhat, even if we can't completely undo the harm. Also, leveling the playing field for people who are getting jerked around by large companies or the government. I do quite a bit ofdivirce work, and enjoy helping out a spouse (usually the wife) from being cheated out of her fair share of the marital assets by a dishonest husband. Finally, the financial rewards are quite good.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,570,473 times
I like my job -- I've had a wide variety of jobs and I liked all of them, even the ones people would say I shouldn't have liked.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,318,987 times
I am a financial accountant and corporate controller, and I truly love my job.

Part of that has to do with my employer; I am fortunate enough to work for a company that places a high value on the people, and that believes in communicating that in a number of creative ways. I work with a team of highly competent, very likable colleagues and I genuinely like my boss, both because he's very good at what he does and because he is the kind of manager who believes that if he has competent people on staff, he doesn't need to look over our shoulders all the time.

But the intrinsic rewards, the things about my work that I truly love, that's more about the thrill of the hunt and the excitement of figuring out complex problems successfully.

There are a lot of different types of accounting; just like you wouldn't go to a podiatrist for a heart attack, you wouldn't go to a cost accountant to get your taxes done or to an internal auditor for financial statement preparation. A financial accountant and corporate controller focuses on financial statements, internal controls, budgets and outside audits, and ensuring that appropriate accounting methods are utilized to attain the company's objectives.

My job combines a lot of highly complex reconciliation work, a fair amount of planning ahead and forecasting, staying one step ahead of the crooks and figuring out where there are loopholes in the system so they can be plugged, research and analysis, working with senior executives in the company to help them achieve their objectives in a GAAP-compliant manner, and training staff. And I thrive on all of those activities.

My job would drive a lot of people stark raving nuts, I know. But for an introverted geek who likes numbers, enjoys scavenger hunts and is obsessive about planning ahead for all possible eventualities, it is a great fit.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,577,418 times
Love my job! Love the people I work with and love what I do, fast paced company, lots of stress, keeps so busy I forget to look at the clock, work through lunch and run to the bathroom when I can not wait any longer! Yes I love it, really!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment