Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:14 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,905,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Ok, learn something new every day.
Yeah I know, right?! I thought the same thing as you in the beginning, then I realized that California apparently also counts over 8 hour days as OT. I know that wasn't the case in Florida...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,470,334 times
This might be why so many companies are leaving California and coming to Texas. It's great for Texas and people here who want to work.

To me I can't see why anyone would gripe about working a little extra when it's busy and making up the time off the next day if it's slower. We do it all the time, most people have no problem with it.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,852,419 times
Working the overtime reminded me of some yrs back where a Grocery store had a Fri afternoon Hot Dog on a bun special for a low price. They hired a couple of high school girls for the advertised time period of the sale. Sales were brisk and the mgr asked the girls if they would stay over since things were so busy (sales).

Oh no...we can't as there is a football game at the school. The girls stopped at the original time agreed upon and some customers were left without. Being a union store the regular clerks working there could not take over the stand.

I was in the grocery trade at the time and the store in question was 1/2 block from my house and I knew the mgr.

Steve

Old 03-19-2010, 02:10 AM

11 posts, read 23,834 times
30 minute extra time is not illegal! I think...

Old 03-19-2010, 08:28 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,841,582 times
Are you an employee or are you a contractor? You may want to check the CA laws that has been linked here to see if that applies to actual employees AND contractors alike. If your contract (assuming you are a contractor) specifically says you will be paid straight time at 40 hours a week, then that is what you need to go by. I am a contractor and get paid straight time, not to exceed 40 hours a week. So if in any one day I work in excess of 8 hours, I was asked to short another day by an equivalent amount. Also, do you get holiday pay, and if you do, do you get double time?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:57 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,711,990 times
I don't get double pay ever....get 11 paid holidays...anything else, the co. does not see as a gov./state holiday and I work straight pay.

I am not a contractor...I believe this has been stated here before.

They are reconsidering this and other things I have brought up to figure out what's legal and not.

It is NOT a company policy I am being held under. EVERYONE else (100+ employees) get OT pay, but my manager "cooks the books" because once upon a time, someone in the dept. would literally play on the internet for hours after 5pm.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,199,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I don't get double pay ever....get 11 paid holidays...anything else, the co. does not see as a gov./state holiday and I work straight pay.

I am not a contractor...I believe this has been stated here before.

They are reconsidering this and other things I have brought up to figure out what's legal and not.

It is NOT a company policy I am being held under. EVERYONE else (100+ employees) get OT pay, but my manager "cooks the books" because once upon a time, someone in the dept. would literally play on the internet for hours after 5pm.
If this is the case, take it to HR. (Believe me, they would want to know sooner rather than later when they are faced with legal action.) My firm has been involved in plenty of cases where the company got sued for big money (and lost badly to the tune of tens of millions when the lawyers drum up a class action suit to include other employees, past or present, who were also wronged) because of managers just like yours. Especially in CA, which is a very labor-friendly state. It may start out like a small wage dispute, but once the lawyers get involved, it costs big money for their fees (the company has to pay that for the employee suing them if they lose, plus pay for their own attorneys) and then, usually due to manager retaliation, things become really ugly legally and more costly for the company who is faced with punitive damages on top of the wage issue.

If you don't feel comfortable making waves, then you need to keep track of your hours, refuse to mess with the timekeeping system, look for a new job and then once you get a new job, take your complaint to the proper authorities in CA (Div. of Wages and Hours) and they will make your employer pay you the back money.

If you don't want to be forced to change your hours and routine at the whim of your manager and earning the OT is not the issue, you really need to get HR involved and aware because if you leave it up to your manager or refuse to do what he wants you to, he will find a way to fire you "for cause" and he may soup it up so that you have no recourse, not even UI benefits. You need to have this documented and get HR involved.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,199,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
This might be why so many companies are leaving California and coming to Texas. It's great for Texas and people here who want to work.

To me I can't see why anyone would gripe about working a little extra when it's busy and making up the time off the next day if it's slower. We do it all the time, most people have no problem with it.
If it happened only once in awhile (and in a state that does not count OT daily), I would agree with you and say be flexible, pitch in, etc. However, it looks like his boss is really taking too much advantage of him (not the other employees who should also be expected to pitch in once in awhile too but are not) in this way and needs to address the staffing situation and scheduled hours worked in that department to take care of the last minute needs that constantly come up.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:02 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,546,470 times
Why not just google wage and hours for the federal and stae. look at exempt and non-exempt first. You might be surprised what you will find and how they calulate overtime. For example under federal law if you call in sick then youy have not gone over 40 hours.There is a thing called schedueld overtime and non -scheduled overtime. Its best to read it directly.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
I'm working 25 hours a week,used to be a 40 hours week,they ask me to work 3 hours a day for two days,It's that legal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment