Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,421,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Umm, we were talking about tampons dick. Tampons don't have wings. Don't you know anything?

If guys don't want to deal with it, then they shouldn't become building engineers. And of course, if more women were design engineers, those plumbing stacks would be designed properly to accommodate tampons, paper towels, toy cars, condoms, and everything else that gets flushed!
OK, you build a pipe large enough to handle all those items. Then you get to go to the sewage treatment plant to repair the pumps and motors your items break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 AM

That reminds me of another problem we use to have. Paper shredders. Offices had standard size paper shredders which handled 3 to 5 sheets of paper at the time. We were regularly called because the lazy women tried to put a book of papers in the shredder and it seized. I explained they put too much paper in the shredder at the same time and the nurse held up a book 4 inches thick and said they needed a shredder that could handle that much paper at one time. Finally fed up with her BS I told her, "a shredder that big could also take your hand, if you had one that took that much paper you'd tried to put in double that amount and break it as well, and it would cost a small fortune for the hospital to replace everytime you decide to break it." Eventually the hospital got tired of buying new shredders (minimum one a week) and figured it was cheaper to get a contract with a document destruction company.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,084,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh thank you for telling me this. I guess I only imagined pulling tampons from the toilet on the end of the toilet snake. Oh thank you thank you thank you. Our in house plumber calls them sewer rats because of the little tail (string).
or "Red Mice"

Don't ask me how I know that......

Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,854,652 times
Quote:
Then you get to go to the sewage treatment plant to repair the pumps and motors your items brea
A woman would be smart enough not to stop at merely enlarging the pipe. Women would build better motors and bigger pumps if they were in charge of it. And women don't need to explain that they are capable of envisioning and solving the entire process, they just know it.

It's men that need every step spelled out for them.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,268,224 times
Quote:
A woman would be smart enough not to stop at merely enlarging the pipe. Women would build better motors and bigger pumps if they were in charge of it. And women don't need to explain that they are capable of envisioning and solving the entire process, they just know it.

Then why hasn't it been done? There are plenty of female engineers out there, why haven't we seen the miracles you claim would happen?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Then why hasn't it been done? There are plenty of female engineers out there, why haven't we seen the miracles you claim would happen?
There actually aren't that many female engineers, and very very few in leadership positions and of all the specialties, the lack of females is greatest in the sanitary engineering sector. Only 2% are female.

Most women engineers, about 65%, hit the glass ceiling between ten and 15 years, and move into other careers because they just don't have any advancement opportunities after that. So they never make it to the point of being the decision maker about things like water treatment plant design.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:

and a woman would be stupid enough to put even bigger junk in the pipe

Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
There actually aren't that many female engineers, and very very few in leadership positions and of all the specialties, the lack of females is greatest in the sanitary engineering sector. Only 2% are female.

Most women engineers, about 65%, hit the glass ceiling between ten and 15 years, and move into other careers because they just don't have any advancement opportunities after that. So they never make it to the point of being the decision maker about things like water treatment plant design.
Let me clue you in on a little secret, those massively huge pipes you're talking about cost a great deal more money to buy and install. They also take up much more building space. A sewage pipe is made to handle "HUMAN" waste which does not include manufactored items like maxipads, tampons, toys, etc. It's made large enough for only human waste in order to save space and money. The manufactored items you speak of belong in the trashcan, not the toilet.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:16 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,812,674 times
Any decent employer provides special "sanitary disposal units" for such items. I must say they don't seem to be much in use in this country (USA)

Old 03-09-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Let me clue you in on a little secret, those massively huge pipes you're talking about cost a great deal more money to buy and install. They also take up much more building space. A sewage pipe is made to handle "HUMAN" waste which does not include manufactored items like maxipads, tampons, toys, etc. It's made large enough for only human waste in order to save space and money. The manufactored items you speak of belong in the trashcan, not the toilet.
Actually I happen to have a bit of experience sizing plumbing stacks. Along with designing many other parts of buildings. So I don't really need your 'clues'. I wasn't just posting for the sake of posting. I know exactly how plumbing systems are designed. Yes, of course larger pipes come at a cost. And using smaller pipes also comes at a cost too. Instead of paying for larger pipes and more NSF, the cost comes in maintenance. It is a choice that is made, but there is a choice. When smaller pipes are chosen, the design team is well aware that they will not accommodate all of the biosolids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment