U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 PM

735 posts, read 1,839,793 times

Advertisements

I had a really short interview this week, but it seemed to go well. They had a list of questions that they asked, and it was over in less than 15 minutes.

Any opinions or experiences with short interviews? Do you think they mean something good, bad, or could go either way?

I think they still have a few more interviews to go, if that factors in at all. They are also probably very busy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 PM

4,806 posts, read 12,058,471 times
Well in my experience, short interview = bad.

But who knows. Every interview is different, there's no benefit to analyzing them too much, I don't think.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 AM

551 posts, read 767,711 times
Were you able to ask questions? Asking questions can show that you are interested in the company and that you have done some research prior to the interview.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 AM

2,176 posts, read 4,601,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Well in my experience, short interview = bad.

But who knows. Every interview is different, there's no benefit to analyzing them too much, I don't think.
I agree.

While it's overall low odds, there's a chance the HR has determined they're going to interview 40 people in one day and in order to do so they have to do short interviews...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 AM

3,278 posts, read 3,437,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeme View Post
I had a really short interview this week, but it seemed to go well. They had a list of questions that they asked, and it was over in less than 15 minutes.

Any opinions or experiences with short interviews? Do you think they mean something good, bad, or could go either way?

I think they still have a few more interviews to go, if that factors in at all. They are also probably very busy.

Thanks!
I had an interview at Goldman Saks years ago that was like this. Your first interview was with HR and a series of questions, that lasted about 15-20 minutes. I don't remember being able to ask questions myself. They would then determine if they would call you back based on your answers.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM

16,623 posts, read 14,353,196 times
in my experience it is a crapshoot. i don't think it matters one bit.

i think the more complicated the job is, the longer the interview process will be for everyone, whether they get the job or not.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:42 AM

47,586 posts, read 35,883,543 times
I think it completely depends on the interviewer. Some people make up their minds quickly, sometimes they are squeezing in many, other times they have a lot to do besides interview.

There is also a reason to keep all interviews to the same length of time, ask all the applicants the same set of questions, if you give this person more time than that person it might seem like some kind of prejudice. Also if they scheduled 4 interviews in one hour, they may have to keep them all on schedule -- so if they extend your time by ten minutes, the others will be delayed.

It's not necessarily a bad sign, it depends on other factors.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
Were you able to ask questions? Asking questions can show that you are interested in the company and that you have done some research prior to the interview.
I was given the chance to ask questions, and I asked a few, and then they took the lead and wrapped it up, so I followed their lead and did not ask anymore questions.

They did give me their email addresses though, and they said if I had anymore questions, I could email (one of them).

Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

I think you are all correct in that it could be a bad sign, but it might not mean anything at all. I made up my mind that I am interested in the job, and that the boss would be great, based on the short time I was there, so who knows?

Time to write some thank you letters .....

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 PM

23,990 posts, read 32,322,325 times
I've found that often they will do a short interview the first time around to immediately weed out those that seem better on paper than in "real life." Then they bring back the ones that they are interested in after that first interview for a more indepth interview.

So I'd say you still ahve a decent chance. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment