U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 829,883 times
Default Conducting a long distance job search

What would be the best way to go about a long distance job search? I'm a recent master's graduate and employed (thankfully) at something that might be a little related to my field, but I'd like to find something more related. However, I wouldn't want to leave my current job while searching. But I'm probably not going to find the jobs I'm looking for here, and I'd also like to experience something else for a while. So what recommendations are there for conducting a long distance job search? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM

3,936 posts, read 2,806,846 times
The problem with a long distance job search is it usually requires employers to invest money in you even before they decide if you are who they are looking for. Since you are a recent grad you do not have experience to offer. So you will probably need to come up with something else to get employers willing to spend the money to interview you. Were there any college projects you worked on? Did you graduate at or near the top of your class? If you are close to where you went to school you might see if there are any recruiters scheduling interviews there.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 PM

6,714 posts, read 7,979,002 times
What if you are willing to pay for your own relocation? I am graduating in May from a top tier university in the Boston area and while it by far better than many places in terms of jobs, I want to keep my options open for moving elsewhere. As a recent grad, I assumed that most employers understood that relocation was a given (I have to move out anyway and am not about to invest in furniture, etc without a job here) but I don't know how to handle it otherwise.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM

3,936 posts, read 2,806,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What if you are willing to pay for your own relocation? I am graduating in May from a top tier university in the Boston area and while it by far better than many places in terms of jobs, I want to keep my options open for moving elsewhere. As a recent grad, I assumed that most employers understood that relocation was a given (I have to move out anyway and am not about to invest in furniture, etc without a job here) but I don't know how to handle it otherwise.
Being willing to pay for your relocation is always a plus. However the point I was trying to make is the money employers spend flying applicants to their headquarters for interviews. In your case you are still in school so chances are you will have at least an initial interview with a recruiter that came to your school. The recruiter will be interviewing many students. Chances are the recruiter will interview at least one person that has something to offer that the employer wants. Once you leave school you need something to make the employer want to spend the same amout of money just to interview one person.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM

6,714 posts, read 7,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Being willing to pay for your relocation is always a plus. However the point I was trying to make is the money employers spend flying applicants to their headquarters for interviews. In your case you are still in school so chances are you will have at least an initial interview with a recruiter that came to your school. The recruiter will be interviewing many students. Chances are the recruiter will interview at least one person that has something to offer that the employer wants. Once you leave school you need something to make the employer want to spend the same amout of money just to interview one person.
That's part of the problem- recruiters *aren't* coming to my school. Our spring job fair was 3/4 of the size it was 2 years ago and out of 50 employers, there were a total of 10 job openings for a senior class of 700. Most people who came were hiring for unpaid internships. That is part of the problem of going to a small liberal arts college with no business program- it wasn't a hiring problem before the crash when I started school but now it's devastating. This is coming from a research university ranked 31st in the country.

While I am applying to jobs advertised through my school, rarely do they actually interview on campus. I'd had to pay my way all around New England on public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment