Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your job or do you just do for the green and to pay the bills?
Yes, happy with it 27 36.49%
No, just do it for the money 47 63.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times

Advertisements

I don't like my job and do it for the money. I don't hate it, but there are other things I would rather be doing. However, those other things would involve a paycut. I like having money for the things outside of work. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make. If I was miserable, then I would switch and take a pay cut, but right now it is more of a dull ache.

It is very difficult to be happy at work and have a good paying job. I envy those who have both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:21 AM

72 posts, read 175,900 times
it is between working or lying in bed all day. at least of you hate work, you can use the money to finance things you love to do on weekends and vacation

Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
The "follow your dreams" mantra is, in my view, characteristic of a society where psychology has displaced monotheism as the new "religion" (as has happened in America).

The notion that one should "do what one loves" for a living has led, I think, to a lot of unnecessary confusion and even heartache. In most of the world today, and throughout almost all of recorded history, a "job" was a way of earning a living, nothing more. See Leisure, the Basis of Culture by Joseph Peiper for an excellent discussion on this.

I am by avocation a writer who researches and writes mainly on the weekends. My main area of research (the sociology of religion) is wholly unrelated to anything I have ever done for a living.

In response to the question -- yeah, I actually "like" my job quite a bit, insofar as it is mentally stimulating and the working conditions are very good (good money, great boss, good colleagues, interesting technology, almost unlimited autonomy). I realise I am extremely lucky in this regard.

I always advise young people to prepare for a career based on three factors: its potential for financial stability, their aptitude for it, and whether it is an honest living--NOT on whether one "loves" doing something. I tell them to "do what they love" on their free time--hobbies and passions make one a better and more interesting person. I am a pragmatist in this regard. I also advise youngsters to get a trade as a backup to a "professional career."

As regards paycuts--yes, I would take a big paycut to do something more "rewarding" (I like "helping people") and have been considering that for a good while now, but at the moment I am content where I am.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,014 times
I am okay with the job itself. I work at a hotel and I don't mind helping guests or cleaning. But the politics around here are driving me mad. Incompetant co-workers and management make me want to tear my hair out. My pay is low and I didn't get a raise until I informed them that I was going to be quitting to work at a higher paying job. Well they matched the pay and I decided to stay. Mistake. The lack of benefits is also annoying as I usually work full time hours, especially in the summer when I'm here 45+ hours per week.

I can't wait until I can quit.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
I like my actual job and I do like the people I work with. My boss can be a pain in the rear, but if she's happy, all is good. She's the only thing that gets me down from time to time. The money is pretty good and at this point, I would only leave for a higher paying position within the same field. That may or may not happen this year.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:47 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
The "follow your dreams" mantra is, in my view, characteristic of a society where psychology has displaced monotheism as the new "religion" (as has happened in America).

The notion that one should "do what one loves" for a living has led, I think, to a lot of unnecessary confusion and even heartache. In most of the world today, and throughout almost all of recorded history, a "job" was a way of earning a living, nothing more. See Leisure, the Basis of Culture by Joseph Peiper for an excellent discussion on this.

I am by avocation a writer who researches and writes mainly on the weekends. My main area of research (the sociology of religion) is wholly unrelated to anything I have ever done for a living.

In response to the question -- yeah, I actually "like" my job quite a bit, insofar as it is mentally stimulating and the working conditions are very good (good money, great boss, good colleagues, interesting technology, almost unlimited autonomy). I realise I am extremely lucky in this regard.

I always advise young people to prepare for a career based on three factors: its potential for financial stability, their aptitude for it, and whether it is an honest living--NOT on whether one "loves" doing something. I tell them to "do what they love" on their free time--hobbies and passions make one a better and more interesting person. I am a pragmatist in this regard. I also advise youngsters to get a trade as a backup to a "professional career."

As regards paycuts--yes, I would take a big paycut to do something more "rewarding" (I like "helping people") and have been considering that for a good while now, but at the moment I am content where I am.
Good post, Dreaming Spears. I've also learned that even getting the dream job doesn't mean that the dream job is what I thought it would be.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
I am fortunate because I am given almost complete autonomy in my job and have good friends that I work with. My job also entails creating jobs for other people, which is satisfying. I would very much love it if I didn't have to work for a living though.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 AM

47 posts, read 159,928 times
Mark my vote unhappy.

I've become disillusioned, cynical and downright depressed in a career helping people which I truly believe would be rewarding if it weren't for the people...

but seriously, my answer is no.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Again, its "happy in your line of work".No hidden agenda's here, just a simple question about whether people are content with their "livelihood" Understand now?
CONTENT is a better word. I think you used the wrong word which confused the poster because we don't go to work to be happy but make a difference instead. So yes I'm content at what I currently do even though it was not my preferred choice of work but I'm still content,.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Also everyone works at a job for the MONEY because you can't survive working for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment