Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,020 times

Advertisements

I have read through all of the posts I can find about the teaching job outlook for this upcoming school year. I am still trying to figure out what to do. I am a level IV endorsed math teacher in Utah. I am certified to teach any math class in a secondary setting. I recently attended a job fair and received many job offers from schools in Texas. With the new 4x4 initiative, Texas is searching for math and science teachers high and low. The only problem is that most of the schools attending the fair were inner-city schools. While I think it would be a great experience, I am hesitant to move my young family (wife and two kids) to the inner city of Houston.

We are looking to relocate, but we aren't sure where would be best. It seems like many states are offering math and science teachers stipends. The schools in Texas were even offering $5,000 signing bonuses. Does anyone have any advice for a young family, currently living in Utah, looking for a decent paying math teaching job? My wife doesn't work, so my income needs to be sufficient. We are hoping for warmer weather and to not be too far away from our families in Utah. Texas would probably be about as far east as we would be comfortable going to. Other cities in Texas? New Mexico? Arizona? California? Colorado? Southern Utah? Nevada?

Within each state, are there any districts or schools that you would recommend?

Sorry for such a long post... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:50 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findthecalls View Post
The only problem is that most of the schools attending the fair were inner-city schools. While I think it would be a great experience, I am hesitant to move my young family (wife and two kids) to the inner city of Houston.
Why do you assume you will have to live in the inner city of Houston? Why couldn't you teach at an inner city school and live somewhere else in Houston where you would feel more comfortable? Same situation is probably true for many other cities in the US.

I think there are now only 38 teachers remaining in the state of California to teach five million kids.
Behind the cuts: Why schools plan so many teacher layoffs - The Orange County Register

School districts in Santa Cruz County brace for cuts - Santa Cruz Sentinel

Coachella Valley teachers anxiously await pink slips | mydesert.com | The Desert Sun

District approves 140 layoffs

Pasadena schools receive 164 layoff notices - 3/11/10 - Los Angeles-Southern California-LA Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - abc7.com

What's the integral of d(cabin)/(cabin)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment