Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:44 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What you have to pay more attention to in this market is people who feel like their job is at risk if they hire you. Often, someone will turn down an applicant claiming that person is unqualified. But what they're really afraid is that person will, if hired, replace them.
Ah, so you've met my boss. Except he's not so worried about how overqualified I am, because I'm not. Rather, I get the vibe that he's uneasy about how ambitious I am. Can you blame me? I'm 24 and trying to work my way up in the world so that I can live a comfortable life like him. The only problem is that his position is the only one above me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 03:46 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Most people settle into a job and stay there a few years. I have been 'overqualified' technically for EVERY JOB I have held because I have a Masters Degree but I stayed at them and did a damn good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret
If you remove your master's from your resume, aren't you selling yourself short? I only have a bachelor's degree, and my mother is worried that I am 32 and don't have a master's degree. I have an uncle in New York who told me that I need a master's degree. I don't know if I would do the master's degree at this point in my life unless I find a job that offers tuition reimbursement. I know the economy is bad, and I know there are fewer jobs. I am also aware of the possibility of being labeled "overqualified". Maybe you should consider relocation to jobs where you can use the master's degree to your advantage. But if you invested two years of graduate study and took the plunge in a significant amount of student loan debt, shouldn't you use that master's degree to your advantage
Masters are a dime a dozen. Most have coursework not much more advanced than a top undergrad. I wouldn't consider it being overqualified.

The only masters that are really worth a damn is a top 20 fulltime MBA, an MSN (nurse practitioner), and engineering masters.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
I'm so glad to see in all these reviews I've read that I'm not the only one who struggles with the "you're overqualified," line in finding a job. I'm honestly getting sick and tired of hearing that line, and frankly so are a lot of people. And I've also heard the line, "We'll, you have to understand if from the business/employer's perspective." Americans HAVE been doing that for a LONG time. When are THEY going to start understanding US ... for ONCE!?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Also all these companes are worrying their heads off about how big of a potential flight risk a candidate is if they hire them in the meantime they are not giving raises and overworking their current employees and they are walking out the door. Pretty dumb. Anyone they hire or are currently working for them can get an offer at anytime for more money and leave. Companies would really do themselves a service if they just focused on hiring well qualified candidates and leave all this HR psychobabble and "flight risk calculations" out of the equation.

This is also one of the main reasons I decided no to go for the PhD. Several of my colleagues were discussing hiding it to get a job. I figured why should I waste years of my life working my tail off for a degree that makes me less employable so I am forced to hide it. No need to hide something you don't have.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:36 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
The overqualified crap gets redundant. I'm not even surprised anymore, to be honest.

I just filled out an application for a sales position that was entry level and they asked over 100 personality questions. I stared at my screen and practically blinked.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
Who DOES NOT want an overqualified Surgeon, Attorney, Airline Pilot, or even an over-qualified Babysitter?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I disagree. Its not a money issue only. Sometimes, they want to make sure you fit the company culture and that you have a similar background to others, like belonging to the same age group.
I personally think that cultural fit is overemphasized. And "belonging to the same age group" is illegal age discrimination if someone over 40 is rejected.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
A large component of the problem is that many hiring managers do not want someone smarter than them or qualified to do their job as they see that person as a threat.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:16 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
What you have to pay more attention to in this market is people who feel like their job is at risk if they hire you. Often, someone will turn down an applicant claiming that person is unqualified. But what they're really afraid is that person will, if hired, replace them.
The competition in this country, as a whole is being held back due to 'losers.'

Remember when the best got the job? Now, it's the gatekeeper making the calls instead of the coach.

These people never lose their jobs either? They're the person with cat calendars all over their cubicle who always bring in the cake for boss' birthday. Possibly the same person that brings in the couch pillow to sit on. Lol

Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
My personal experience is that I have been rejected for being over qualified. Without being told directly is was the company feared training me on for me to quite and take a job that paid more because of my qualifications. I was denied a job for a Xerox sales company for such reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment