Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:43 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,038,125 times

Advertisements

I was watching my local town meeting on tv and they were discussing the budget and apparently they are going to raise taxes AND have to get rid of some teachers.

In the open forum one person stood up and said, "Well, this is just unfair. We need to know when and where this is happening because it will devastate those of us laid off and trickle down into the community."

On one hand, I feel sorry for these people. No one wants to see anyone lose a job. As someone out of work since 8/08 I know it's rough out here.

No one has a guaranteed job and now the teachers are learning this, too. (I know there are various teachers on this forum who are being pink slipped.) I'm sorry about you losing your jobs.

I wish there was a solution. This recession is hurting everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,367,945 times
Yeah, here in Baltimore they closed 12 Catholic schools and they are now closing a few public schools due to lack of enrollment forcing hundreds of teachers out. Sucks. We also had a huge round of layoffs of teachers a few years back. Hundreds were let go due to cut backs.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,555,636 times
You can see the writing on the wall. As they bring in many millions of cheap third world workers, and Americans are more and more unemployed, who can pay the high teacher salaries? English speaking teachers are not needed by the new arrivals, they want their own teachers who teach in their own language.

With wages falling or stagnating for so many others, teachers are not going to spared.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,555,636 times
Next will be the health care industry. Poor Americans cannot afford high dollar doctors and nurses and others and there will be plenty of people from other countries more than willing to come and work for far less than Americans are accustomed to having.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,417,693 times
Yeah, the "teacher shortage" is a myth here in Texas except for those who can speak Spanish and some math and science.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:05 PM

750 posts, read 1,444,258 times
They are already bringing Math and science teachers from the Phillippines their going to inner city schools in LA and Baltimore Hartford ect. There numbers are small a few 1000's. and they are starting to come from India as well. Catholic schools are shutting down fewer people have money to send their kids. They are bringing nurses over from the Phillippines and have been for years.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,870,851 times
Did anyone read about what happened to Professor Janice Harper?

Maiz Centeotl Chicomecoatl: Janice Harper, the Nuclear Option, Silence and New Threats to Academic Freedom

Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 AM

11,263 posts, read 18,798,239 times
A good point here that nobody really talks about.

In many cases, the schools themselves have declining enrollments. This is no different than a company losing half its business. In the extreme case where the news talks about the coming drastic school closings in Kansas City, if you read the fine print, they note that exodus to private schools and charter schools is so extreme there that district enrollment is 2/3 what it was 10 years ago, and 1/2 what it was 20 years ago, but with no drop in schools/teachers. As an aspiring teacher, I hate to see all the layoffs, but in this case fair is fair.

One thing I'm noticing if you find enough details is that a lot of teachers being laid off are either elementary (where there certainly was never a shortage and even in good times you had dozens of applications/opening) and in "soft" subjects like art, music and gym. While (despite the supposed "shortage") there are some secondary math and science teachers being let go, it seems the majority are above. I do think that's a shame though, I think it is important to at least be aware of art and music and with our increasingly obese society, we need MORE exercise, not less.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,345,123 times
It's happining in GA too, tons of layoffs across the state and tuition hikes for all the state colleges.

I wanted to comment on this misleading statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Next will be the health care industry. Poor Americans cannot afford high dollar doctors and nurses and others and there will be plenty of people from other countries more than willing to come and work for far less than Americans are accustomed to having.
Poor Americans can't afford HEALTH INSURANCE. First Doctors go to school for years, college 4 years, med school 4 years, residencey 4-6 years. They hold life in their hands. Much of what they have to charge is due to INSURANCE COMPANIES - their malpractice rates have sky rocketed even if they've never had a problem, they must pay a small army of personel to wade thru insurance just to get reimbursed. At my doc's office he has 3 front office workers JUST for insurance and only 1 back office person. My ENT doc quit to go teach because he got tired of working the first 6 months of each year just to pay for Malpractice INSURANCE and that was over 10 years ago. I have many friends that are rural Family Practice docs and they've had to quit doing OB because they can't afford the Malpractice INSURANCE, and now their patients must travel 50-100 miles to have a baby. Some rural communities, in order to attract docs are footing part or all of their Malpractice INSURANCE just so they can have a doc. Much of what your doc is charging you is directly related to INSURANCE issues. Should docs make a good living - yes, they've earned it by they nature of the years of schooling and the stress of the job.

Nurses are now required to carry their own malpractice INSURANCE, in most states they are required to have so many continuing education credits each year paid for out of their own pockets, they go to school for 1-4 years and must pass a national exam. LPN's make anywhere from 12.00-25.00 per hour, depending on experience and what shift they work and area of the country. RN's start at about 18.00 -25.00 and it goes up with experience. Again depending on experience and what shift they work. I know there are some nurses that make more at the high end, but they have advanced degrees and years of experience. They work really crappy shifts, put up with more and more crap from patients etc. so yes, they should be making a good wage. When you see that a nurse is making $80,000+ a year, they are either working crap shifts to get the shift dif, have advanced degrees, experience, working tons of overtime, or live in a high cost of living area.

Doctors and nurses are not the one's to blame for the high cost of health care they are also the victims of the INSURANCE COMPANIES.

The health care industry is already in the tank, nurses are expected to take on too many patients, cost cutting is constant and it all goes back to INSURANCE.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:55 AM

750 posts, read 1,444,258 times
The issue with me the media still sell the idea there is a big shortage of teachers. And hey if you guys are not buying that one those teachers are retiring soon. The colleges use this one. The kid thinks hey I am PE or Art somebody will retire somewhere. Well no they will not it is a con that college has your cash they care less. Declining enrollments are killing the Catholic schools people are not having as many kids or are moving from areas they grew up in. On top of this most people do not have the money to pay for it anyway. Charter schools are killing off inner city schools. What funny to me is in most of them do just as bad as the schools they replace. They pay 23-25k rotten medical benefits no retirement it is the way of the future in teaching. State budget will be bad for years. But hey the colleges will pump out a ton of new teachers. It is a joke my buddy who is a math teacher is worried about a layoff. And it took him awhile to find a job in 2004 and math is a shortage area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment