U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,009,169 times

Advertisements

What sorts of jobs involve a fair amount of traveling? Obviously being a pilot or flight attendant would, but what else? I hear sales and consulting folks do a fair bit of flying around.

So what sorts of jobs do a lot of travel? How do you get into them? If your current or former job had you travel a lot, how did you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 08:24 PM

26,346 posts, read 79,646,958 times
Requiring Travel Jobs - Browse Keywords | Juju Job Search

Travel used to be more fun it seemed, especially when the boss gives expense accounts and such. Airlines seem less flexible, security lines, off airport rental cars, and passengers that hog the armrest. Expensive drinks on planes (you can always get four or five little $1 vodka bottles at a liquor store and they can go through security, order an free orange juice on board - cheap screwdriver).

Old 03-20-2010, 08:47 PM

28,072 posts, read 66,331,354 times
Basically any higher value sales type position that is lower volume is going to be travel intensive -- clients are spread out and it does not make sense to have people near all of them.

Ditto for certain higher level roles in engineering, finance, actuarial work. Anything that have small numbers of clients demanding highly specialized skills in far apart places.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:59 PM

4,805 posts, read 19,212,667 times
I agree with the above--travel for work isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be. Long security lines, flight delays, uncomfortable seats, bad food, unpredictable schedules. And you don't usually get to enjoy the places you visit. Most companies require that you travel outside business hours, so you are spending your evening on a plane, arriving just in time to fall into bed. Then you go to a meeting the next day and head straight back to the airport. On some lucky occasion you may get in early enough to enjoy a nice meal and a quick view of town, but usually you are stuck with coworkers or clients, so you are really working, not enjoying yourself or relaxing. And you are usually flying to places like Omaha and Tuscon, not Paris and New York.

I think for most things, there is no career category that will guarantee you get to travel:

Sales, yes, some sale people do travel. Most don't though, not on a regular basis. They have a territory of perhaps the Chicagoland area and that's the extent of their travel, other than for occasional training or conventions at their employers' headquarters. Most aren't jetsetting all over the world.

Flight crews, yes some go all over the globe. Most, though, have designated routes that they go back and forth over again and again: Cleveland to Wichita and back again, maybe twice in the same day, never even leaving the airport let alone getting to enjoy those fabulous destinations.

Photographers may get to travel. Of course most photographers are self-employed so its really your own initiative that determines whether or not you get to travel. Most photographers will be wedding or portrait or local-interest photographers that don't really leave their home base very much. A few are freelance travel or world news photographers that sell their images to media outlets like Reuters or the Associated Press or Getty Images.

You could take the foreign service exam and see where it leads. There's no guarantee of an exciting post or the chance to experience more than one place. You may end up dispatched to Bishkek for the next twenty years.

Probably a better approach would launch your career based on your aptitude and other interests, and then find a position within that industry that allows you to travel. Even doctors and nurses can travel, it just depends on what kind of job within those fields interest you.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM

12,668 posts, read 23,939,887 times
Software installation on the application level (like electronic medical records). I thought of this, until I realized I'd see every Holiday Inn in exciting places like Ohio and suburban everywhere.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,498,090 times
As a corporate attorney I used to travel a lot to wrk on large deals. I did not like it. If I flew to Amsterdam, for example, I would get on a red-eye flight, change at the airport, and go straight to a meeting. I'd work all day - usually quite late - and by that time I was so tired I couldn't see straight. Then several more long days until the last day when you're rushing out of a meeting to catch your flight back. It's one of the reasons I went in-house. I was sick of long hours and traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment