Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 PM

573 posts, read 2,058,626 times

Advertisements

What are some good reasons why you quit a job without getting another one? This means that the real reason will not get me hired to the job I am going to apply to. ( I didn't feel like working there anymore and I didn't find another job after this). Please list realistic reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 04:25 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
If the employer is being abusive or the work environment is physically unsafe, that is a good reason to quit.

If a personal emergency came up that would require my absence for an extended period and the employer wouldn't give me time off, I might quit. But it would have to be a big emergency that couldn't be handled any other way.

Otherwise I wouldn't quit until I had a new one lined up.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
What are some good reasons why you quit a job without getting another one? This means that the real reason will not get me hired to the job I am going to apply to. ( I didn't feel like working there anymore and I didn't find another job after this). Please list realistic reasons.

There is no reason to quit a job without having another

Old 03-21-2010, 04:34 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There is no reason to quit a job without having another
Not saying its a good thing to quit a job (Never have) but I highly doubt your statement.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Not saying its a good thing to quit a job (Never have) but I highly doubt your statement.
When you quit you don't get unemployment, THE END

Old 03-21-2010, 04:55 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
-IF you have enough savings
-If you're resigning to go back to school
-If you're moving
-If your safety is in danger
-If you are victim of harassment and all the steps you took to resolve it have not resulted in a solution, i.e. talked to management, HR and the state dept of labor
-If due to the horrible conditions, you are on the brink of suicide and serious mental distress, as diagnosed by a doctor.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:57 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When you quit you don't get unemployment, THE END
True and that's a big reason people stay in jobs they can't stand, just because of this important financial reason. I looked into my employment contract and after the company merged with another, was told severance in case of termination without cause (i.e. laid off for economic cutbacks) is only 2 weeks now. Before it was 14+ weeks. Bastards.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:39 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
I quit my last job without another lined up. It was an abusive environment. I cried a lot. Several of us quit. At the same time, I had some kid-related issues come up that caused me to want to be at home for awhile. Also, I was not in a state of mind to go from one job to another. I felt like a battered wife at my last job and you wouldn't tell a battered wife to go from one relationship to another without a break to decompress. Of the other 3 that quit, only one lined up another job first.

I have always saved about 50% of my income so I have savings to live of off. I am now looking for a new job.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:44 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
I have five reasons:

1) You're in a dead-end, high-turnover job, that eventually drains you physically +/o mentally due to the anxiety
2) Other workers are leaving due to worsening conditions, and you're already overwhelmed
3) Your job keeps you from getting a better job:
a) Lack of transferable skills for anything other than the same/similar job
b) Employers label you because your current job is completely unrelated to the job you apply for; even if your previous jobs were held longer and are more related to the applied job
4) Staying there will make it harder to leave, keeping you labeled, as previous skills lose significance
5) You work toward a different career, and the job interferes with your goals:
a) You find yourself doing too much between the job and your goals, and you have to make a "fork in the road" decision.
b) You concluded the job won't help but hinder you in reaching your goals

Old 03-21-2010, 05:47 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
These days?...I guess if I were dead, I'd be stupid enough to consider quitting a job in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment