Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 10:18 PM

44 posts, read 64,099 times

Advertisements

About to finish my MA in Geography and find myself wondering what place or direction to go in.

When I first started out, I thought I would go into either urban/regional planning or something in demographics.
After almost 2 years in Geography I don't want to go into planning.

My interest is in the kind of discussions we have on this board.
Specifically, the examples below demonstrate what I am most interested in demographics:
-Where do people in North East PA commute to? (economic geography?)
-Where in NJ do people root for the Eagles and where do they root for the Giants (sports/economic geography?)
-Where is the line in NJ where it shifts from Philly to NY orientated.
-What are the voting patterns in southern NJ (political geography?)
-What TV stations (NY or Philly) do people watch in central NJ?
-What are the NHL TV ratings in NY?

Now, the challenge is I am not a quantitative geographer. I love descriptive stats, and I love using them. However, my strength and expertise is NOT in doing the calculations and most certainly not in GIS.
My strength is in critical thinking and analysis using the stats, maps which already have been produced...as opposed to being the GIS guru or stat calculator.

What I'd like to know, are there any organizations out there which might fit?
What kinds of places would hire or do the kind of work which fits my passion and skillset?

The Census Bureau was suggested to me, however I'm not really interested in working for a large bureaucratic organization. Further I understand in the Census most of the work is repetitive office work, very little field work, and you will likely be stationed in DC.
I have no interest in wanting to work in DC and I really can't stand being in the same physical, indoor spot day in and day out.
I'm used to school where you get to move around between different buildings and get fresh air.

Aren't they any organizations/companies/careers that fit OUTSIDE DC, where you aren't in a "cube" all day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogger View Post

I don't want to go into planning.

I am not a quantitative geographer.

NOT in doing the calculations

not in GIS.

I'm not really interested in working for a large bureaucratic organization.

I have no interest in wanting to work in DC

I really can't stand being in the same physical, indoor spot day in and day out.

aren't in a "cube" all day?
John Wooden once said: "Flexibility is the key to stability."

I came thisclose to earning my geography degree. However, even though it was interesting (cultural geography) and easy, I realized there probably wouldn't be too many jobs available, so I switched to engineering.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
It appears that you can target companies that are heavy into market research (ESPN in Bristol, CT comes to mind), Nielsen, consumer products manufacturers (food, baby products, e.g.), TV stations...I just don't know how much field work those involve. When I worked in the market research area of a bank in CA, I ran demographic reports when new branches are opened or when an acquisition of a smaller company is on the table to make sure that the demographics around the new branches will comply with government regulations (CRRA and such).

Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Didn't you think about this before starting on a Master's program? Did you talk to any professors? Did you make any industry contacts? Do you have experience in any of the areas that you describe as interesting? Do you have excellent credentials / grades? Would you be capable of understanding the kind of things that business people spend money with consulting firms on? Have you earned any college credit in areas that would fit with an MBA?

No offense, but when I hear people complain that they've spent so much getting am advanced degree and "no one wants to hire me" I tend to think that such people have not really done much to make themselves into the kind of person that any business person (or even director of a governmental agency) would really feel good about hiring. There are lots of interesting problems but the solution to them, from both a business perspective and that of an sort of organization that has a normal budget, is not to study the thing to death, but to have a reasonable certainty that some combination of necessarily incomplete knowledge and hard work will have a good return. They way to do this is to say "I have seen similar problems and have a track record of getting good results." If you did not take this approach to your education you cannot expect business or organizations to take a chance on you.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 AM

I originally thought Geography would help me get a job in planning or demography.
As I said I am not a quant person, which is why I did not go into engineering.
I like to use descriptive stats, but being the GIS guy, not my thing.

I thought planning might be it, but for me I found it too creative and too political.
Now, if I could have a job in a large planning organization studying corridors or doing that kind of work, that would be one thing.
But attending and running the night meetings with the public or drafting policy, not much.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
You're being awfully picky for someone with no job history. The Federal government is quite flexible about degrees if you can demonstrate you have the "knowledge,skills,abilities" for the position. You need to be flexible, too. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,976 times
I am returning to school to get a geography degree, and more specifically, learn GIS. While I'm in school, I'd like to learn how to incorporate my previous work experiences (criminal justice/education) into GIS, as well as do some of the sports/economics/demographics stuff you're also interested in.

As far as what to do for you- I don't know. I'm thinking maybe there are some park ranger/forestry jobs that you could try for? They would have you outdoors all day, at least.

Oh, and I can tell you that the dividing line between the Giants and Eagles fanbases runs from about Princeton east to around Bayville. North tends to go towards the Giants, and south is Eagles country. No study needed- I had to put up with those fan bases everywhere I lived in central Jersey

Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I am returning to school to get a geography degree, and more specifically, learn GIS. While I'm in school, I'd like to learn how to incorporate my previous work experiences (criminal justice/education) into GIS, as well as do some of the sports/economics/demographics stuff you're also interested in.

As far as what to do for you- I don't know. I'm thinking maybe there are some park ranger/forestry jobs that you could try for? They would have you outdoors all day, at least.

Oh, and I can tell you that the dividing line between the Giants and Eagles fanbases runs from about Princeton east to around Bayville. North tends to go towards the Giants, and south is Eagles country. No study needed- I had to put up with those fan bases everywhere I lived in central Jersey
Forestry? HAHA...not quite.
There's got to be something in demographics which fits.
Actually besides demographics, I find transportation planning interesting.
However, I am not sure what niche fits.
I'm not into the political policy aspect, where you would be hosting angry night meetings...I find creating policy itself also more creative than me.
I'm not technical enough for CAD or quant.

Something in the middle is what I'd like best...where I could deal with the concrete aspects of transportation issues BUT given my descriptive stats/non-quant background, could fit.
Any ideas?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogger View Post
Forestry? HAHA...not quite.
There's got to be something in demographics which fits.
Actually besides demographics, I find transportation planning interesting.
However, I am not sure what niche fits.
I'm not into the political policy aspect, where you would be hosting angry night meetings...I find creating policy itself also more creative than me.
I'm not technical enough for CAD or quant.

Something in the middle is what I'd like best...where I could deal with the concrete aspects of transportation issues BUT given my descriptive stats/non-quant background, could fit.
Any ideas?
How about just trying something you think you might like despite your qualms? You might like it, or you might not, but you'll get experience, get out of your own head, and overcome inertia. If you sit around waiting for the "a-ha" idea to hit you like a thunderbolt, you'll be doing a lot of sitting and waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment