Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

I'm watching a Tv show right now and this guy was about to be laid off and the manager's opening line was-"THIS IS NEVER EASY"

I heard the same opening line the three times I was laid off and it just seems like it some type of layoff training managers receive.

Has anyone who been laid off heard that same opening line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
Not that particular line per se, but I do know where I worked (in a bank) we had a script sent down from the HR folks on high.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,138 times
If you have heard that line three times, you need to ask yourself why me! Sorry but the cream always rises to the top, if you know what i mean.

Dick

Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It's probably like all occasions where you have to give someone bad news or deal with someone getting bad news. It usually isn't easy firing someone -- so that's kind of a logical thing to say.

The problem is - there isn't much to be said. Being inventive and clever might make it worse.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
It's like ripping off a band-aid....it's much better to get it over with. When I was let go, the guy just went on and on about how other people had been let go and generally realized later on that they were better off elsewhere. "Just not a fit..." and so on.

Bigger companies seem to have more standardized ways of doing it, I've heard of accounting firms where the partner essentially reads a script to the person, then leaves the room so HR can handle the details. I would prefer just being taken aside and being told, "Hey, it's just not working out...."

Nine times out of ten, the person sees it coming well in advance [or at least should be able to see it], so I don't really see a need to spend a lot of time trying to cushion the blow. My last job I spent nearly three months spinning my wheels, waiting for the bureaucracy to finally get around to letting me go [under their system, your performance was only evaluated up to a certain date so after that passed there was nothing I could do to change anything.]

Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
It's like ripping off a band-aid....it's much better to get it over with. When I was let go, the guy just went on and on about how other people had been let go and generally realized later on that they were better off elsewhere. "Just not a fit..." and so on.

Bigger companies seem to have more standardized ways of doing it, I've heard of accounting firms where the partner essentially reads a script to the person, then leaves the room so HR can handle the details. I would prefer just being taken aside and being told, "Hey, it's just not working out...."

Nine times out of ten, the person sees it coming well in advance [or at least should be able to see it], so I don't really see a need to spend a lot of time trying to cushion the blow. My last job I spent nearly three months spinning my wheels, waiting for the bureaucracy to finally get around to letting me go [under their system, your performance was only evaluated up to a certain date so after that passed there was nothing I could do to change anything.]
I totally agree! You definitely know it's coming, it's just the "when" that can drive you nuts. When I got laid off from a job before, there were a few, I was low on the totem pole, knew it was coming but my co-worker (and friend) called the night before to warn me it was coming down the next day so I would be prepared. She got the layoff notice about a month later LOL

Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
If you have heard that line three times, you need to ask yourself why me! Sorry but the cream always rises to the top, if you know what i mean.

Dick
Yep, have to agree.
I've done a variety of jobs from customer service to teaching and never once been laid off because I have outperformed the others.

Some people are just unlucky these days with massive layoffs, but prior to the recession, I think if you were laid off 3 times you probably either slacked off, had an attitude or just didn't perform well enough to keep you aboard.

Sometimes we just don't fit in to a company or corporation but 3 times seems excessive. Are you anticipating #4?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 30,531 times
When i was laid off last year....the president an the HR manager came in. She just said I have to talk to you....excused my co worker...and then said 'we are going to have to lay you off'. Some choose to soften the blow before, some choose to soften after, and then some do both. The scripts just make sure the person doesn't say the wrong thing during the process vs. saying the right thing.

Everyone reacts different when they find out they are losing a job. In my case, I knew it was coming because there had been several rounds of layoff prior. One thing that also affects layoffs is how likely the person would be to file a lawsuit or complain to the ACLU. Employers will be extra careful with those over 40, females, minority groups, etc. In my cause I didn't fit any of those criteria and co workers did so I was the least risk to them. Also, they gave me a severance package and had me sign a waiver saying I wasn't going to sue them for discrimination.

There are a lot of good layoff signs...usually your gut will tell you when it is coming...but you can't worry about it or the negativity will take over and you will drive yourself crazy.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yep, have to agree.
I've done a variety of jobs from customer service to teaching and never once been laid off because I have outperformed the others.

Some people are just unlucky these days with massive layoffs, but prior to the recession, I think if you were laid off 3 times you probably either slacked off, had an attitude or just didn't perform well enough to keep you aboard.

Sometimes we just don't fit in to a company or corporation but 3 times seems excessive. Are you anticipating #4?

The first layoff was because of a restructure
The second layoff was because of a decrease in Funding

The last layoff was due to performance and I knew why my performance was low because I spent too much time on the web inside of my office

So the last layoff changed me forever and I'm no longer a leave at 4:59 type of employee. And no I'm not anticipating number 4, the TV show made me think of a layoff script.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
When the layoffs (6000) hit the company that I was with, all employees were scheduled for a 5 minute meeting or phone call with their direct manager. It always started off with something to the affect that "As you know, we're going through a restructuring and . . ." The words you waited to hear were "your position has been affected" or "your position has not been affected."

And yes, the notice was scripted to avoid potential lawsuits. Whatever came after the statement was not scripted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment