Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:44 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,308 times

Advertisements

Long winded chit chat... asking to get off early to have hair or nails done. An employee running out of sick days and going to work sick because they can not afford to stay home!
Employees brining their children to work for 30 minutes or so because they do not want to get a babysitter to watch the child after school.
Coming to work and shopping during lunch break, returning to work and spending precious time telling everyone about the sale you found during your lunch break.

Can you tell I work with a bunch of women?

3 inch heels and cleavage in a professional office!

Last edited by LovingSAT; 03-28-2010 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: Had to add the heels and cleavage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why does a lazy co-worker bother you? Shouldn't you be minding your own business? I'd understand if he or she was your subordinate. But otherwise do your own work and don't worry about the lazy ones. Maybe they are depressed or hate their job and have a really hard time covering up their issue.
LAZY CO-WORKERS, meaning more than one. I guess you never worked in a department where your work was a team effort. I had one job in telephone customer service. The lazy ones took fewer calls, so those of us who worked had to do more than our share and had more angry people to deal with...

The management did not deal with the issues. They just gave more work to the others.

I was 'depressed' for the 2 years I worked there, too, but managed to do my job.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
1. Fire Drills

2. Crowded Evelevators

These are the worst especially fire drills. You are in a middl of something and then all of a sudden the damm fire drill goes off and your entire is flow is messed up. Then you have to go down the stairs which takes forever and then once you get outside you have to stand around and wait for the WORD to go back up. And Then once you are able to go back up it takes forever because 2000 are waiting for the elevators.

And when on a elevator with 4 people, some else runs just before the door closes and gets on making it more crowded.

Anyone agree these are the most annoying things about working in a office?
Yes, it's a pain in the butt on a good day when fire seems to be a distant threat, but if there is ever a real fire--or if someone flies a plane into your building or sets off a bomb in the basement--I can personally tell you that you will be happy as heck that you know exactly where the stairs are and how to get out as fast as possible.

When there's a real fire, it's not like on TV where there are a few flames over here and a few flames over there, and you see the hero leaping past little isolated puffs of smoke. The space fills ENTIRELY with smoke, and you cannot see where you are going, let alone breathe, and you become disoriented very quickly.

Agree about the people who leap for the elevator at the last moment, holding everyone else up. Just wait for the next one, will ya?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
1. Lazy co-workers who get away with goofing off. We all know 'em, we hate 'em! The bosses love them because they usually rely on the 2 people who ACTUALLY do their jobs.

2. Gossip and people who want you to bad mouth others. If you try to opt out of gossip, people will try harder to get you to agree with them about so and so. It's the one thing I have learned...do not talk about ANYONE to ANYONE at work. There are people who LOVE to say 'so and so' said this about you.
1. Yes. That old saying, "if you want something done, give it to the busiest person" is absolutely true.

2. Great post. And if someone brings a story to you, remember that they are looking to take one back to the next person they talk to. I've been at my job a long time and know quite a bit of unpleasant or scandalous information about people who are now in higher places. I will not pass it on. I never want it to come back to me.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Long winded chit chat... asking to get off early to have hair or nails done. An employee running out of sick days and going to work sick because they can not afford to stay home!
Employees brining their children to work for 30 minutes or so because they do not want to get a babysitter to watch the child after school.
Coming to work and shopping during lunch break, returning to work and spending precious time telling everyone about the sale you found during your lunch break.

I always thought it was WEIRD when a woman went clothes or shoe shopping on their lunch break instead of waiting until after work or the weekend.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post

The male coworkers aren't complaining.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM

412 posts, read 939,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Why does a lazy co-worker bother you? Shouldn't you be minding your own business? I'd understand if he or she was your subordinate. But otherwise do your own work and don't worry about the lazy ones. Maybe they are depressed or hate their job and have a really hard time covering up their issue.
Lazy coworkers bother me, because, in the type of work that I do, that means more work for me and the other hard-working employees.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I always thought it was WEIRD when a woman went clothes or shoe shopping on their lunch break instead of waiting until after work or the weekend.
It happens all over the United States. And women who live close to work and have kids usually never take lunch - they're always off running errands.

The "weirdness" is everywhere. Maybe just accept the differences of the genders?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
It happens all over the United States. And women who live close to work and have kids usually never take lunch - they're always off running errands.

The "weirdness" is everywhere. Maybe just accept the differences of the genders?
Yeah I guess, just like yesterday I went shoe and clothes shopping and the whole process was 15 mins

A woman doing the same-"TWO HOURS"

LOL-difference in the genders

Old 03-28-2010, 12:30 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,825 times
How can it take a woman 2 hours to do what most men can do in 10-15 minutes I go into a stored, see what I want and check out in 10 minutes, if that provided there are no lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment