Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:13 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
If anyone comes to me with a problem or a concern. I use active listening and expressions of empathy. I have no other agenda. I truly wish the best for all people. I don't like seeing anyone in pain and will do anything to comfort them.

And I don't care if some autistic person wants to put me down with in your face criticism. Doesn't make me look inept.
I'm sorry to say this, the biggest fear I have for my son is his having to deal with pseudo-empathetic people, who already have pre-conceived notions of what he can and cannot do and what his worth is.

I doubt that any person with Autism has ever put you down, although I bet you can't say the same of neuro-typical (non-AS) people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,934,465 times
This is a symptom of Autism. And I consider it a put down."Sarcastic, negative, emotionally numb, very criticizing."

Okay, the other issue is this whole mental illness or syndrome BS. Once people are labeled they think everyone with that label is the same. They no longer see people as individuals. It is called stigma. And it is pretty bad IMHO.

My comments are strictly related to the individuals that I had to deal with. I am not speaking against autism as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I'm sorry to say this, the biggest fear I have for my son is his having to deal with pseudo-empathetic people, who already have pre-conceived notions of what he can and cannot do and what his worth is.

I doubt that any person with Autism has ever put you down, although I bet you can't say the same of neuro-typical (non-AS) people.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Oh please. They are not victims. lol. The government hasn't blocked their rights to get married or adopt.
Gay and lesbians are not victims and don't face the type of discrimination that folks with disabilities face on a day to day basis. I forgot the exact statistics but a large percent of adults with disabilities are chronically unemployed. What are the unemployment and poverty numbers for homosexuals?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Sensitivity to being scolded by someone with autism? Are you kidding me? I am not going to be sensitive to someone causing me pain and grief. You must be out of your mind.

Sensitivity is a two-way street. Do you think a straight autistic person is going to empathize and have compassion for a colorful gay guy? I doubt it.
Maybe you could set the example. How do you expect others to accept you when you cannot accept them?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:27 PM

I don't accept people that give me grief, disability or not. Anyone that wants to be on my side is cool with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Maybe you could set the example. How do you expect others to accept you when you cannot accept them?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
This is a symptom of Autism. And I consider it a put down."Sarcastic, negative, emotionally numb, very criticizing."

Okay, the other issue is this whole mental illness or syndrome BS. Once people are labeled they think everyone with that label is the same. They no longer see people as individuals. It is called stigma. And it is pretty bad IMHO.

My comments are strictly related to the individuals that I had to deal with. I am not speaking against autism as a whole.
As you have stated, not every individual have the same characteristics. I've worked with autistic individuals and did not observe the "sarcastic, negative, emotionally numb, very criticizing" characteristics you continue to bring up. Sounds like the subject of autistic individuals in the workplace has hit a raw nerve with you. Maybe you can now see what it feels like to not have folks accept you as you are and to stereotype with negative labels.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I don't accept people that give me grief, disability or not. Anyone that wants to be on my side is cool with me
So those with autism automatically wants to give you grief? Is that what you are saying?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Nope. Remember I said it is all based on individualism. I'm curious about how the corporation will fair. It is interesting. It will also be a plus for the CEO because corporations generally foster collectivism. Homogeneous groups are easier to control and manage than diverse individuals. There is actually research that shows that diversity in the workplace can cause a lot more problems. Homogeneous groups are usually sought after in businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
So those with autism automatically wants to give you grief? Is that what you are saying?

Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
There was an evening news story a few days ago about a company in Sweden that does the same thing. The owner hired his son. The employees are particularly suited to performing tedious repetitious tasks and they enjoy the work they do. Nothing wrong with employing them to do these jobs.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,354 times
Quote:

Sarcasm is NOT TYPICAL of a person with Autism. If you would really like to enlighten yourself, you will find that people with Autism are blunt and honest, not derogatory.

Think again about whatever previous experience you are referencing; I doubt that/those person(s) actually had Autism.

Lastly, why on earth would you need to interject such vile into a topic of how people with a disability are using their strengths in a productive way? What's your beef?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment