Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The snitches are hired by the employer. They are loyal to the employer not you. They are there to shape the "acceptable" "big brother" workplace environment e.g. "Look we are a dysfunctional police state but it's normal!"
Well we use the term "snitch" - There are people who spend their entire lives engaged in this behaviour, but if were honest we are always watching and studying other people's behaviour - and to say you don't is a lieing.

The only you can do is do your job well, be vigilant don't completely trust anyone at work - always assume your being watched or even recorded, be more paranoid!

Who knows what depths employers will sink to next...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
It is a delicate line for me, as I am in a position to see lots of errors. I could easily "snitch" on folks. But...people make errors. Yes, sometimes very stupid ones. I am inclined to not micro manage others. I just focus on my own work.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,991 times
Snitches get stitches...

Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
trust me if you get canned, esp 6 months from retirement, the hit will not come from the public or management it will be from a fellow worker.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I politely told a co-worker a few years ago that I did not report to her and if she had any further questions as to my whereabouts ~ she would need to check with my manager. She questioned where I was one afternoon and it really just hit me the wrong way. Maybe it was her constant superior attitude.

She backed down really quickly. She was a less-than stellar employee and my job was on the road so I wasn't in the office all the time.

I can't stand people who watch everything their co-workers are doing. Ugh. Focus on your OWN work and habits.

I was once an auditor and I can tell you that it is SO MUCH EASIER to critique the work than to actually DO the work.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:44 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I work with someone who is, on paper, highly educated and smart, but she is a bundle of real and imagined ailments, and she will dig her own grave just fine without my telling anyone about the things she does. Firstly, she comes to work looking as if she just rolled out of a dumpster. Secondly, I'm just guessing that saying, "I'm not a morning person", is not really an exceptible excuse for lateness. Thirdly, needing to go to Starbucks on company time is, I'm guessing, not really a smart idea either. There's a fourthly, and fifthly, but you get the idea.

I just mind my own business.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I work with a guy like that....and he happens to be a manager. A few weeks ago I ran into a problem with one of my orders and it was stressing me out so I decided to take a little 5 minute walk on the ramp (I work at an airport) to clear my head. He saw me from our other facility that's a few hundred feet away and told the owner of the company that I was 'wasting company time' by wandering around not doing my job. There was a tribunal about it and I calmly explained that I needed a few minutes of fresh air to tackle the problem from a new angle and that we had two 15 minute breaks during the day that I was legally able to take. My manager didn't give a rats behind what I did and totally understood why I had left. The owner told me I had to tell my boss where I was going next time which is ridiculous considering the ramp is RIGHT OUTSIDE the hangar we work in and I can see my boss' office from where I was walking.

I'm sick of the tattle tailing manager, he's just trying to get in good with the owner of the company by going to him anytime anything happens. He thinks he's being proactive but he's really wasting everyones time.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:22 PM

173 posts, read 353,724 times
People who do things they are not supposed to do deserve to be snitched on.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
People who do things they are not supposed to do deserve to be snitched on.
I sort of agree - there are too many people who think they can do as they like - and deserve to be snitched on - without the worry that their being watched they will take liberties.

But then again - there are the types who seem to spend every waking hour watching others, and hoping to get others in trouble - all in an effort to make their own job more secure.

Once tactic for dealing with these types is to feed them misinformation or set them a trap, or pretend your in some major strife with one area of work, you have made some mistake -that something has gone wrong badly - they will then run to your boss behind your back and of course not say anything to your face.

You get pulled up about it- then just say everything is fine, run through the work and show them all is fine, there no problems, ask who told you this, this is all wrong - Act innocent and just suggest you were a little stressed about getting work done on time, and had a chat with such and such, or something like, to show there was no big issues - and suggest this person has got a little confused, has got the wrong end of the stick.

Thereby you discredit the backstabber, and expose them for lieing, nasty piece of work they are, and there exposed - then just smile at them and act friendly to their face - and their wary of dealing with you from now on.

Perhaps not one to do on your boss - A better tactic for the colleague on the same level as you - the slippery, two faced pleasant to your face types - who your instincts tell you they haven't got your interests at heart- and delight in see problems with others. Of course don't overdo it so they know your playing them, just pretend your confiding in them.

Its important to pick the right target, the chronic backstabber type not some who is bit of a gossiper and annoying.

Last edited by mikeyking; 04-15-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Snitches & tattletales are definitely on my top ten list of "People the world can do without".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment