Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:04 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I'm sorry but I think people who go out of their way to snitch should just go jump off a bridge, if what they do has NOTHING to do with you, no bearing on your job, etc, then you should stay out of it. At most if you feel something is wrong then go talk to that person, not just run to the boss like a little B****. I have no respect for people who snitch.
That goes for supervisors too. In my previous office, I had a supervisor who went out of his way to bad-mouth me to the big boss. Unsubstantiated/unfounded so-called "complaints" about me. Maybe this is why I can get heated at times, but I put a stop to the bull **** - I confronted him and the big boss face-to-face, and said "One more issue...one more b.s. allegation, and I'm bringing in my Union rep and my lawyer!" I also pointed out that I noticed a few substantial safety violations within the office, and I have pictures of such and may notify OSHA while at it. I never had another problem after.

BTW, this particular supervisor was the target of a couple of sexual harassment complaints (founded); he was demoted and reassigned to an office two hours from his home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 07:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
By definition, a snitch is someone that reports wrongdoing or questionable activity. If you don't do anything wrong/questionable/embarrassing, the snitch will have nothing truthful to report to your boss. To be safe, avoid even the appearance of questionable/embarrassing behavior.

In your example, the employee made a mistake. Instead of focusing on her work, she took part in the gossip. Just as you shouldn't send an email to someone that you wouldn't want forwarded to the entire company, you shouldn't say aloud anything that you wouldn't want your boss to hear. Assume anything you say/email will be passed along to your boss. You can't control what others say behind your back, but you can control whether what they say (about you) is true or not. Don't give others the proverbial knife to stab you in the back.

I hope you're not in management, because not everything is that cut and dry. The troublemakers pulled her into the conversation, asked her a question and ended it with a nebulous question about whether or not she ever experienced anyone who was moody and she responded. She was set up.

And if you think this kind of thing doesn't happen, you're either male or haven't much experience in the corporate world. I know many females who would back me up on this.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 PM

403 posts, read 557,138 times
About 6 or 7 years ago, we had a temp that discovered that my teamlead and I didn't get along. So this temp would go and tell on me for everything. He never lied about anything I did, but 99% of the stuff that he told on me for wasn't against the rules. He was bringing me product one day and I couldn't keep up with him because he was only travelling about 20-25 feet with the product, but I had to travel 150-200 feet and then raise up to about 45 feet in the air to put it away. After he got me loaded up pretty good and kept bringing the stuff so it would have been a safety issue so I asked him if he could find something else nearby to work on while I cleared it out and when he saw that I'd made some room, he could load me up again. He went and told the teamlead that I didn't want him bringing me the stuff and that he needed to find something else to do. The teamlead came and spoke to me about it and I explained what I said and what was going on and he actually agreed with me for once and told the temp to do exactly what I had just asked him to do.

My supervisor was off for a short time while that temp was there and was gone the night this situation happened. When he returned, I went and spoke to him and told him that I couldn't work with this particular temp if I have to worry about him running to the office every time I turn around. The supervisor called the temp into the office and spoke to him. He then finished that shift and then I didn't see him anymore until about a month later when he got called back to work in a different department. Then he ended up having an accident and walked out instead of taking the drug test.

My thing is that if I'm actually doing something and you see it and tell on me, I may be mad, but I'll get over it. I may not be friends with you, but I won't make it a big deal to try to get somebody back. If you lie about something I've done to try to get me in trouble, then you better never mess up when I can find out about it. Either way, if you tell on me, at least make sure that what you're telling on me for is actually against the rules or it's a waste of everybody's time.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
That goes for supervisors too. In my previous office, I had a supervisor who went out of his way to bad-mouth me to the big boss. Unsubstantiated/unfounded so-called "complaints" about me. Maybe this is why I can get heated at times, but I put a stop to the bull **** - I confronted him and the big boss face-to-face, and said "One more issue...one more b.s. allegation, and I'm bringing in my Union rep and my lawyer!" I also pointed out that I noticed a few substantial safety violations within the office, and I have pictures of such and may notify OSHA while at it. I never had another problem after.

BTW, this particular supervisor was the target of a couple of sexual harassment complaints (founded); he was demoted and reassigned to an office two hours from his home.

Gee, those weren't "complaints" about attitude, were they?

Old 12-22-2014, 02:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post

Good for you!

Old 12-22-2014, 07:20 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,466 times
What do people get out of doing that? Do they think they are going to get a raise or bonus for having their head up the boss's ass? I can't stand brown nosers.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:59 AM

336 posts, read 377,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
What do people get out of doing that? Do they think they are going to get a raise or bonus for having their head up the boss's ass? I can't stand brown nosers.
Some people are just nosy and/or enjoy creating drama.

Other people think it will improve their standing wih the boss.

Other people are dedicated employees that hate to see company time/money wasted by others.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:20 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
Some people are just nosy and/or enjoy creating drama.

Other people think it will improve their standing wih the boss.

Other people are dedicated employees that hate to see company time/money wasted by others.
"Dedicated employees" use their time to their advantage instead of wasting it on other nonsense.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:21 AM

384 posts, read 507,678 times
Just mentioning this for some folks new to the work force, but the best person to snitch on you is YOU!!! If you've done something wrong, or will be late, or whatever not quite 100% perfect scenario is in front of you, then YOU be the one to tell the boss.

This does two things.

#1 - It keeps the boss from being blindsided - most HATE that.
#2 - It takes the power away from the snitches. If you boss already knows, then when the "snitch" comes in, they look like the tattle tale they are and they are likely to get dismissed - and any attempt at brown nosing backfires.

Same thing applies when someone wants to escalate. If you've got your ducks in a row, you shouldn't be concerned when someone says they want to talk to your manager/VP, etc. My favorite is when someone "threatens" to go to my boss. I'm usually happy to call their bluff and I'll provide his phone number and email address.

75% of the time they won't make the call.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Ignore him. Don't answer his questions and do your job the best you can.

If you have been skirting company mandated tasks, then stop doing that. No matter what your situation is at home, it is still not fair to other employees who must do it.

If as you said, it is voluntary task, then volunteer if you want, or don't.

If there are questions about your work habits, then let your work habits speak for you. If that is not good enough for your company, then your company is not good enough for you.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 12-22-2014 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment