Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,805 times

Advertisements

It's none of his business where you were or what you were doing. You could also let him know why is he so concerned about what you do? As for the boss, it reflects poorly on him because if he has to have a spy to report back to him on what goes on, then maybe that boss should sit down somewhere. The next time he asks you that question, tell him "None Of Your Business." That will shut him up real quick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:59 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
I think the point is that you can't do anything about his behavior, especially if your manager has asked him to do it.

The only thing you can do is change your reaction to it.
Precisely. The example in OP of your lengthy response to the volunteer question is exactly the kind of answer you should avoid. The guy isn't asking about your family planning strategy or your wife's career. So why would you tell him all these things??

And unless you turn the questions back on him AND then use his answers to spread gossip or tattle to th boss, you aren't "doing the same thing as Johnny".

Old 04-04-2010, 02:05 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,400 times
Oh I know this subject well except I have four snitches. I am the newest member of the group of six women/or children as I think of them. We have the perfectionist that sterilizes her work station and rearranges her pens and pencils every morning that is the main rat and thinks she is the "boss" of the newer people. We have the gossip that likes to turn her back to you as she whispers to whomever is on the other side of her, we have the closet facebook,text, phone gossip except she does it in Portuguese and hates to be wrong and will disown you if you point out any error she has made and then will go to the manager will anything she can think of to bring you down with dates and times. When I came back from lunch last week ms. perfectionist said, "you had a long lunch today"? I said no, I left at such and such after I went to the restroom first, so I was not late. Got that know it all look which I gave right back and went on my way. They all go against the rules right in front of me and I haven't said a word, but as soon as I give notice the important people will finally know what kind of office they really are running.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
ms. perfectionist said, "you had a long lunch today"? I said no, I left at such and such after I went to the restroom first, so I was not late.
See even here, you are defending yourself, which just makes Ms. Perfectionist think you are guilty. And she's gotten the pleasure of "getting a rise out of you."

If you had just said 'no', and left it at that--or better yet, ignored her altogether-- you would have taken the satisfaction away from her. She may try again tomorrow or the next day, but pretty quickly she'll drop it and move on to someone else.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:55 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Precisely. The example in OP of your lengthy response to the volunteer question is exactly the kind of answer you should avoid. The guy isn't asking about your family planning strategy or your wife's career. So why would you tell him all these things??

And unless you turn the questions back on him AND then use his answers to spread gossip or tattle to th boss, you aren't "doing the same thing as Johnny".
It isn't a secret in the office that we are adopting, or that my wife works weekends. You think that I am feeding him information and gossip because I reminded him that I couldn't work Saturdays because of something he already knew?

If I don't want something told, I don't tell it. Plain and simple.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Listen you are the one who said this guy was gossiping, and that was the example you gave. Now you are arguing that that isn't true. WTF?

Old 04-04-2010, 04:02 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,400 times
Quote:
See even here, you are defending yourself, which just makes Ms. Perfectionist think you are guilty. And she's gotten the pleasure of "getting a rise out of you."

If you had just said 'no', and left it at that--or better yet, ignored her altogether-- you would have taken the satisfaction away from her. She may try again tomorrow or the next day, but pretty quickly she'll drop it and move on to someone else.
This time I agree with you. Whether she tries it again this week or not won't bother me because I am giving notice tomorrow!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Listen you are the one who said this guy was gossiping, and that was the example you gave. Now you are arguing that that isn't true. WTF?
You said in a previous post you didn't understand why I keep feeding him information and gossip. I don't feed anyone information and gossip. Any information he has about me is public knowledge, as far as what I have told him. I don't give out info on other people or "snitch". It shows a lack of character, in my opinion.
I think you may be trying to stir the pot.

WTF are you talking about? Reading comprehension, man.

Go back and reread.

Last edited by jhadorn; 04-04-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Clearly what you consider gossip and what "johnny" considers gossip are two different things. And it doesn't matter whether it is public knowledge, it matters that you respond to his goading.

You might try some reading comprehension, and notice that every single person who has contributed to this thread has said the exact same thing. Stop what you are doing and "johnny" will stop.

I think you may just be playing devil's advocate for the sake of being argumentative.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Clearly what you consider gossip and what "johnny" considers gossip are two different things. And it doesn't matter whether it is public knowledge, it matters that you respond to his goading.

You might try some reading comprehension, and notice that every single person who has contributed to this thread has said the exact same thing. Stop what you are doing and "johnny" will stop.

I think you may just be playing devil's advocate for the sake of being argumentative.
I haven't "done" anything or "fed" him anything. Go back and read it again.

I did say that he has been asking where everyone is, what they are doing, when they will be back, etc. but 99% of the time he asks one of the receptionists or another coworker. Why did you assume he always asks me? I never said he only asks me. If he does ask me I tell him I don't know. Read my posts again, it's all there.

I responded to him the way I did because he is on the same level as I am, and even though we suspect he may have been told by the boss to keep an eye on everyone, we don't know that. Until that time he is just a coworker who is putting his nose in everyone elses business.

I don't let people run over me, and if noone else is going to stop it then it's up to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment