Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

They are there to protect the boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
I definitely can't stand snitches/tattle-tales in the workplace. Those people are the definition of lames. Your boss needs to grow balls and put these people in their place because in the end, it's going to fall on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM

That sounds pretty malevolent. I'm wondering where the code of ethics is and where the supervision is? You should never set anyone up to get fired. It's extremely unethical. I very much disliked two tattle-tell supervisors, from the distant past, who I believe to be dysfunctional and inept but I never wanted them to get fired. They've probably never had a day of fun in their life and are therefore living a miserable life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Just set "Johnny" up to get fired. That will solve the problem instantly. He doesn't sound bright so it should be easy.

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-11-2011 at 08:43 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 08:36 PM

The snitches are hired by the employer. They are loyal to the employer not you. They are there to shape the "acceptable" "big brother" workplace environment e.g. "Look we are a dysfunctional police state but it's normal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
There is absolutely ZERO "loyalty" in a snitch. If they can stab co-workers in the back, the boss can suffer the same fate as well. In actuality, I doubt a snitch can even be loyal to themselves.

I've worked with them before and now. In the past worked at one firm where an employee was "dispatched" to "discretely" follow us around while we were on the road and report back to the boss. Needless to say, this person no longer had friends at work.

Then you have the office drones who MUST know what people are up to, when they get in, leave, etc. Makes one wonder how THEY get any work done.

I have no regard for them, as you can tell.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM

That' not true. Plenty of my research points to the fact that being a tattletell is part of their job description to protect the boss from any retaliation or exposure. If they can keep a record on the employees then they can use anything against them whenever to blackmail, to exploit, or to manipulate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I hate snitches and tattletales in the workplace.

It's basically tehy can't hack it and move up on their work performance so they try to get in good by making others look bad and trying to cause trouble for others.

As for the Saturday thing in your example though, if it's causing him to work more saturdays because you wont I think it's a valid point.

At my workplace we had a lady who thinks she can pick adn choose when's convenient for her to work. I'm shocked she's gotten away with it this long, I've talked with my boss about this several times but he's terrified of confrontation so often lets people do whatever they want.

He agreed she shoudl contribute and it wasn't fair to the rest of us. Instead of him talking to her as her manager he asked me, her coworker with no authority to speak to her. She flipped out, yelled at me, cried, refused to do it and said they would have to fire her.

Boss just let things stay as they were. Now comes a time when they are needing to cut back on budget and hours. Guess who's the first one to go? That lady.

I guess I kinda went on a rant abotu my own frustrating workplace issue. Tattle tales do suck but the saturday thing you mentioned is a valid point if others have to work saturdays b/c you wont.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Are any of the nurses very persuasive, callous, and narcissistic? You might have a sociopathic nurse there. They turn every work place into a police state-like atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I work in a Long-term care/Rehab facility, and no one can really prove it, but there are patients in the facility who are elected to spy on us, and give reports to the Administrator.

I work the night shift, and there are a few patients who are up all night, in their wheelchairs, hanging around the Nurse's station. I don't trust any of them!

And, on top of that, you can have snitches as co-workers.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,306 times
Maybe if ADULTS would stop acting like we are still in 3rd grade and start acting up when the boss leaves the area!

If you go to work, show up on time, do you what you need to do, and overall nice & respectful towards people.. you have nothing to worry about. If someone is ratting people out, let them. But don't let yourself get ratted out.

Oh and using "I have kids" as an excuse is lame, but that's just IMO.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Don't let yourself get ratted out? Sounds like a hostile work environment. Reminds me of Nazi Germany. And remember what's good for the boss is good for you. So if you are "ratted out": then you have every obligation to tattle-tell on your boss. It's only equal and fair to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Maybe if ADULTS would stop acting like we are still in 3rd grade and start acting up when the boss leaves the area!

If you go to work, show up on time, do you what you need to do, and overall nice & respectful towards people.. you have nothing to worry about. If someone is ratting people out, let them. But don't let yourself get ratted out.

Oh and using "I have kids" as an excuse is lame, but that's just IMO.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,306 times
So wait.
If you start doing stuff you aren't supposed to be doing...
and someone reports that back to management.....

That's wrong of the person who told the manager???

Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 PM

I'm sure I could find something wrong with the manager and the tattle tell. All tattle tells I've known are bullies on a huge ego-trip. They have a perverse sense of moralizing others while covertly being spiteful, biased, and embittered: tattle tells view themselves as moral, honest, caring, correct, righteous, good, and the keepers of ethical standards. I don't see it that way. Eventually they will slip up and will be exposed in very unfortunate ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
So wait.
If you start doing stuff you aren't supposed to be doing...
and someone reports that back to management.....

That's wrong of the person who told the manager???

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-11-2011 at 09:20 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
First of all, my thoughts are that if everyone is doing their job then there is no reason for anyone to have to report anything to anyone. Therefore, apparently there is a NEED for someone to report.

As for "volunteering for Saturday duty". I don't think it is right or fair to use breeding (or as in your case adopting) as an excuse. Again, the childfree non-breeders are required to cover for the people who have children. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to work late, weekends, holidays, etc. because somebody played the "parent" card.

20yrsinBranson

I agree. I'm a single man w/o kids and have ALWAYS had to pick up the slack not only for parents but also for my female co-workers who seemingly have a dr. appointment once per month.

I try to make allowances b/c after all, someone had to for my mother but yes, I agree, childless people get taken advantage of, especially if the boss has kids.

I've found that the key to not getting shafted too hard is being assertive. I cover for people and give those under me a lot of leeway when a kid crisis comes up but when I want to leave early or take time off I feel no guilt whatsoever and remind those that complain all the times I finished their work so they could make it to daycare before they closed. My time is no less valuable than someone who happens to have children and some activity I like to do is no less important than your child's parent teacher conference or B-day party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment