Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 AM

128 posts, read 403,180 times

Advertisements

When I graduated from college I thought I had all the answers and was convinced my strong technical and intellectual skills would send me to a Vice President position in a Fortune 500 Company by the time I was in my early 30s. For some reason they never told me the tips for real success in graduate school in my MBA Program. I also did not understand the importance of soft skills in career success.

Fortunately I meet a real nice boss who was 20 years older than me who pulled me aside and told me he would spend a few hours with me every week and mentor me about how to really be successful in my career. We spent a lot of time on political skills, workplace dynamics, and general soft skills that I was missing. He introduced me to other professionals in the field who also mentored me about workplace survival skills.

Have you had a mentor in your career and what have you done to gain the assistance of older more experienced people in your career to gain advice? Any stories about mentoring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
*waves at old friend* Hi Weekend Traveler!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
I never had a mentor like that. I do have a friend that inspired me, and was someone that I looked up too and tried to follow what he did. But that was mostly for deciding what career path to take.

From a success standpoint, I learned everything the hard way.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 AM

444 posts, read 1,249,901 times
Find someone who's job you want in 5-10 or more years and befriend them and learn from them. I've found some people are open to teaching and most like to talk about themselves (career-wise), LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment