Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 6,565 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

The company I work for has brought in a consultant that specializes in organizational development. They say he has been brought in to help 'grow' the company. I think this is a bunch of nonsense as the top managers have been shuffling around scared and are mostly absent. This alarms me because this consultant is supposedly working with management to map out a plan. I don't see how that is possible when he is at the office and management is not. Lower level managers are there though.

I have a sneaking suspicion that corporate hired the consultant because our division is in financial trouble.

Has anyone here had their company bring in such a consultant and not downsize the company? What about the other possible scenarios like pay cuts and demotions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Yes, I am pretty sure there is a direct relationship between "hiring a consultant" and impending layoffs. I remember when my dad first told me that in the 1980s and it's been true ever since.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:33 AM

other red flags have been there as well. Such as focus groups, continued direction to 'cut costs', vacant positions, and holding out until the last minute to pay vendors. There was talk of furloughs late last year but they were averted. I just don't see how in that short of a time we go from possible furloughs all the way to doing very well with the numbers and growing the company. Plus, there have been lots of secretive closed door meetings. The vibe that management is giving off is of big trouble and not uncontrolled growth.

On top of all this, a big contract they were trying to get didn't come through. I don't understand why all the lies. Maybe they are just trying to save morale? I have a bad feeling management may be on the chopping block.

I wish I knew how long this was going to take because everyone is acting really strange and it makes me feel really weird when I am in the office.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
I've worked for several companies that hired organizational consultants that didn't lay off. One was just brought in to improve communication, after there had been a few pretty costly snafus directly attributable to people not talking to each other. Another was brought in after the layoffs, as the company began hiring new people, to deal with a mentality that was developing between the 'we survived the layoffs' and the 'new people'.

I don't think necessarily a consultant has to mean bad things. If there are other signs, well, maybe that is bad news. Or maybe you're just interpreting them wrong. For example, not telling you what is happening behind closed doors isn't 'lying'. And bringing in a consultant to help 'grow' the company doesn't mean they have a problem with 'uncontrolled growth'.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 AM

160 posts, read 375,427 times
A few red flags I've encountered:

1. Being asked to describe your job
2. Being asked to document every task, meeting, phone-call, etc. you perform in one day.
3. Being asked to train the new guy on certain facets of your job.
4. Lots of closed door meetings and/or doors slamming
5. People staying late/arriving early that usually are clock-watchers.
6. Weird new people showing up @ 5PM (interviewees)
7. Resumes on the fax machine
8. Jobs posted on Craigslist that look eerily like yours or your co-workers.
9. Constant phone-calls to the AP department (by rude and demanding people).
10. The boss constantly experimenting with new software, procedures, etc. (and touting them as the next big thing that will save the company)
11. COD deliveries
12. Poorer quality of purchased materials arriving
13. People who once didn't care about how things got done, are now showing an interest in learning everything.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,060 times
Rent Office Space. This could be your big break into upper management.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I've worked for several companies that hired organizational consultants that didn't lay off. One was just brought in to improve communication, after there had been a few pretty costly snafus directly attributable to people not talking to each other. Another was brought in after the layoffs, as the company began hiring new people, to deal with a mentality that was developing between the 'we survived the layoffs' and the 'new people'.

I don't think necessarily a consultant has to mean bad things. If there are other signs, well, maybe that is bad news. Or maybe you're just interpreting them wrong. For example, not telling you what is happening behind closed doors isn't 'lying'. And bringing in a consultant to help 'grow' the company doesn't mean they have a problem with 'uncontrolled growth'.
Maybe uncontrolled growth was the wrong word to use. Basically what management is telling me and what I see are two different things. Plus, I was asked to do something for the consultant and when I went to his office to give him what he had requested, the HR lady came running out of her office to be right there and make sure I wasn't alone with him.

My whole point is that I want to know what is going on because I have a family to take care of including a young child. By taking time off to interview I risk disciplinary action but I think the ship is going down quick. They have only been losing business and they had some large unexpected costs due to employee accidents. I do not see any explanation for the sudden change. My manager says that we are going to grow and the consultant told another employee that he was there to help the company grow when the employee asked. All the other signs point to big trouble and I feel that when something like this happens a company should be honest with their employees as much as possible.

Their statements don't match the events occurring up to this point.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Rent Office Space. This could be your big break into upper management.
Good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment