Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times

Advertisements

I'll be graduating college soon with an engineering degree.. and I have been thinking about finding work and everything. I was wondering from everyone's experience in searching work.. what percentage of employers would you say post their jobs wanted online, being a college student i just get summer work in factories through temp agencies so I'm not really experienced in searching jobs in a specific area. On top of that I will be looking to move out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Do employers come to your college campus to recruit?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM

I would say to a point, but I'm looking to move to only specific cities.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
They are only there to advertise and promote their company. Very rarely do they actually "hire" for "real jobs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Do employers come to your college campus to recruit?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
A lot of the professional job market is 'hidden'. Meaning the employers don't advertise.

They fill these jobs through word of mouth. They'll announce at a staff meeting that they are looking to fill certain positions and ask current employees to bring in resumes of acquaintances, former classmates, etc. And they review resumes that come in unsolicited--i.e., someone really wants to work for that particular company, not just any engineering company, and sends them their resume. Some will post the jobs on their own company's website, but not on a job board. You have to go to their website to find the listing. That takes time, but its worth it.

Posting job openings on websites generally costs money. There are very few that are free for employers, and those are generally not of good quality. So usually an employer will try their hidden routes first, and then advertise if they aren't able to fill the position.

In tough economies, a lot of employers cancel college recruiting efforts. Not all but a lot. So you'll have to do more work on your own. Find out which employers have come to past recruiting events. Likely your department has data on top employers that have hired graduates of your program, and there may be a 'career and employment services' office that can help as well. You aren't the only student to have moved out of state, so don't assume that these records will only reflect the local market.

The hiring data can also be good in preparing for 'salary request' questions--it will help you determine what is a good average salary to request.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
They are only there to advertise and promote their company. Very rarely do they actually "hire" for "real jobs".
That's not accurate at all. I've gotten three offers through career fairs at my college, and a bunch of my friends did too.

Career fairs are probably your best bet. They are there to hire for entry level jobs.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM

That is good. How is work going? What type of jobs were those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
That's not accurate at all. I've gotten three offers through career fairs at my college, and a bunch of my friends did too.

Career fairs are probably your best bet. They are there to hire for entry level jobs.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:20 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That is good. How is work going? What type of jobs were those?
Good jobs really. Not what I'm looking for.

One with Wells Fargo (salary was too low), one with MassMutual (was located somewhere I don't want to live (Massachusetts), but paid very well), and one with Bank of America (I didn't like the location in town of the branch).

So, yes, you can get jobs through career fairs. I actually think they are the best source of interviews. In 1 month I've had 5 interviews, 4 from the career fair I went to.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Good jobs really. Not what I'm looking for.

One with Wells Fargo (salary was too low), one with MassMutual (was located somewhere I don't want to live (Massachusetts), but paid very well), and one with Bank of America (I didn't like the location in town of the branch).

So, yes, you can get jobs through career fairs. I actually think they are the best source of interviews. In 1 month I've had 5 interviews, 4 from the career fair I went to.
Yeah I have to agree with you on this one, I think for a person merely interested in finding a job out of college this is a great route to take, but I'm very picky with my cities so that is definitely one thing that is working against me (but i am ok with that), but I feel this puts ME in the hot seat to be looking for the employers instead of them coming to me, unless an employer from my city list just so happens to be sent to my university by god ! haha

Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM

So you've had job offers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah I have to agree with you on this one, I think for a person merely interested in finding a job out of college this is a great route to take, but I'm very picky with my cities so that is definitely one thing that is working against me (but i am ok with that), but I feel this puts ME in the hot seat to be looking for the employers instead of them coming to me, unless an employer from my city list just so happens to be sent to my university by god ! haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment