U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM

41,634 posts, read 44,854,191 times
I suggest you go to a peddatrist and they can tell you what type works with your feet. Everyone is different as to where the support needs to be .They can even supply inserts that will work with many different types depending on the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM

309 posts, read 451,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Don't worry about fashion when you're trying to find comfortable shoes. Who honestly really cares about what your shoes look like?
certain employers DO care what your shoes look like regardless of how long you're standing up...you can work at a foot locker wearing sneakers, clogs, or any other regular flat unattractive shoe but you can't work at a jewelry store, high end retail store, or a hotel wearing just any shoes.....it sucks lol but that's just how it iswhether you're a man OR a woman working at these places

Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 AM

4,549 posts, read 6,020,471 times
OK so here's some tips from a nurse. First, you didn't say if you had narrow/wide or medium size feet? Second, go get FITTED for shoes to make sure you are getting the right size. Third, get really really really good support stockings they have knee-hi's too. Fourth, switch shoes at least once through your shift.

If you are just standing and not walking for the most part there are some good exercises for your legs and feet that you can do throughout the day. Finding the RIGHT shoe for you can be difficult, on the allnurses forum there are as many answers for good supportive shoes as there are nurses.

Many of my jobs over the years have been working on my feet and the shoes are sooo important to keep you from being crippled...go for comfort before style.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 AM

747 posts, read 628,567 times
It's already been mentioned but if you are on your feet all day, concrete floors, SAS's are the best, believe it or not made in the USA.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:50 AM

3,229 posts, read 3,264,106 times
What are SAS's?

I just got a retail job and will be on my feet 7 of 8 hours. I'm currently wearing my black Saucony (sp?) walking shoes with my prescription orthotics. I'm hoping to find something a little prettier, but the black shoes with black pants don't look very athletic, so they should be OK. Still, I'd like an alternate pair to switch back and forth.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 AM

18,868 posts, read 14,942,728 times
It depends on what you do, and how you have to look. But one thing is, if you have to be on your feet all day, spend the money for good shoes. I like Cole Hann for heels, SAS for flats, and Dansko's for sandals. I also used to wear tennis shoes to work, Nike Air.

Also, check out this website https://www.zcoilshoes.com/index1.cfm

Last edited by jasper12; 10-30-2010 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM

4,549 posts, read 6,020,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
It's already been mentioned but if you are on your feet all day, concrete floors, SAS's are the best, believe it or not made in the USA.
Not for me, they don't carry my size - narrow and many have way to high of a heel and creates back problems.

As I said earlier, no one shoe works for everyone and it's best if they go get fitted and do lots of research.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 AM

747 posts, read 628,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Not for me, they don't carry my size - narrow and many have way to high of a heel and creates back problems.

As I said earlier, no one shoe works for everyone and it's best if they go get fitted and do lots of research.
not sure what size you wear but I think you are thinking of another brand, Most of their shoes are flats, they carry in Ladies S 6-12, N 6-12, M 4-12, W 5-12, WW 5-12, in mens S 8-15, N 7-15, M 6-15, W 6-15, WW 6-14, *WWW 6-13, they are not particularly stylish but............
San Antonio Shoes - Handcrafted Women's Shoes, Women's Sandals, Handbags, and Men's Shoes

Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 AM

780 posts, read 1,594,022 times
This has been a big issue for me since I shattered my ankle. The orthopedist told me that I have to wear sneakers that comfortably fit a AFO brace Clinical Situations -- Spinal Cord Medicine -- NCBI Bookshelf Hard to find a dress shoe that it will fit in. I've tried so many I've lost count. Plus I was told to find footwear that has a good tread for gripping-how many women's dress shoes have that? It was a part of the problem for me when job hunting-it's my disability and yet I still have to conform to society's rules-which is difficult to do when you have to have ankle support.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 PM

24,773 posts, read 27,759,250 times
This is a super old thread, and the OP isn't even a member anymore... LOL. But for the sake of others looking for comfortable shoes, I'll say that I LIVE in my Dansko clogs! It's true they take a little time (maybe a week or two?) to break in, but once that's done you won't want to take them off.

I have arthritis, and have fractured & sprained both feet/ankles multiple times - ah, the joys of being a former figure skater & dancer. So I really really need comfortable shoes, even though my profession doesn't require that much standing. I also have incredibly narrow feet & heels, so anything without an open back rubs like crazy and causes blisters. Here are the Danskos I wear: Dansko Sonja Hickory Cabrio - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

Sure, they're not cheap, but they last a LONG time... and I only replace them when they get stinky (tough to clean), not because they've fallen apart. They're also not the most "stylish" of shoes, but luckily that's not an issue around here - San Franciscans are known for our ugly shoes, probably due to the hills we have to climb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment