Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:13 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times

Advertisements

Who cares what is in your file? If and when you ever quit, it's highly unlikely they will ever share it with any prospective employer who calls for a reference, out of fear of being sued by you. Either just accept your new position, or start applying elsewhere. Yes, it is annoying...but also meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 03:32 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,186 times
''Do I have to be a "Yes" man in order to succeed at work?''

It really does depend on what kind of person your supervisor is. If you need this job, zip thy lip. If you don't, quietly look for other employment.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
You appear to be accusing me of having a confrontational attitude. I have no such attitude. However, I have some solid opinions and I don't agree with everyone I deal with. For example, my political leanings are conservative, yet I know that both the employee I had the altercation with, and my direct supervisor are very liberal, and the culture of this corporation is liberal and its headquarters are located in one of the most liberal metropolitan areas of the USA.

Does that make me confrontational? Do I have to be a "Yes" man in order to succeed at work?

I am also planning on writing to Fortune to request that they remove this company from its listing of the "100 best companies to work for."
I am not trying to be critical of you, but why are you concerned about or focused on another employees, you supervisors or the company political affiliation? That has nothing to do with you, and sounds like the root of your problems. Apparently, you do not agree with the political climate of your company and it is causing you problems. Therefore, you should either find yourself a company to work for whose political atmosphere or philosopy is aligned with yours OR forget the entire chain of events, stay where you are and kee your politics separate from your work.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:30 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
You appear to be accusing me of having a confrontational attitude. I have no such attitude. However, I have some solid opinions and I don't agree with everyone I deal with. For example, my political leanings are conservative, yet I know that both the employee I had the altercation with, and my direct supervisor are very liberal, and the culture of this corporation is liberal and its headquarters are located in one of the most liberal metropolitan areas of the USA.

Does that make me confrontational? Do I have to be a "Yes" man in order to succeed at work?

I am also planning on writing to Fortune to request that they remove this company from its listing of the "100 best companies to work for."

You definately seem confrontational and also sound way over-qualified for the job. Solid opinions sounds like an understatement.

Do you have to be a "yes" man....ahhhh......hmmm....in an entry-level/low level part-time hourly worker type of position....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:05 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
No, you don't have to be a "yes man" but you do need to know when it's time to back away. You now know you are working in an environment that watches your every action, so play it safe. Do your job. Adhere to the rules and regulations of the establishment and that's it. This job is just one of many that you will be passing through to your "real" career.

You feel you were treated unfairly, you want the world to know that you were treated unfairly - oh, gosh, how many times have we been treated unfairly because we worked for a company or entity that was less the savory or a supervisor who didn't their you-know-what from a hole in the ground? Learn from this. Humility goes a long way. Learn from this experience and move forward.

Last edited by jhlcomp; 06-11-2007 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
This is from an employers side of view:

1. They are covering their butts as pointed out by others. Try suing them and you will find out REALLY fast how well they covered them.

2. Your job is in a RETAIL establishment. How may customers were nearby or could have been nearby when this occured? So NOT the view that the company wants their customers to see - two employees having a confrontation especially if it had nothing to do w/ work. Even if it WAS work related there is no place in the view of the public that such should ever occur.

3. They have a good record and make the Fortune list because they do not put up w/ bull crap from anyone including employees. They want their employees to work in a peaceful environment and that sometimes means leaning a little to the liberal side. So if your liberal co-worker cohabitats w/ someone of the same sex and you say something that demeans them in any way you will be written up. Those guidelines are in place to protect you too. If your extremely conservative and a Bible thumper and someone put you down and tried to get your goat at work then you would be able to do the same thing. If you have conflicts of a personal nature w/ ANY fellow coworker they are best kept out of the workplace. If they have to do w/ how the job is done or such THEN it may be a case of needing to inform a supervisor.

4. Yes, while on the job you need to be a "yes man" if that means getting the job done and done right as directed by your employer and on time. Being a "yes man" does not mean we must all have the same personal views when it comes to politics or whatever comes into play on our PERSONAL time. However when you are on MY clock and it is MY dollar and I tell you to do something then by all means it better be a yes. When someone does not do what they are expected or instructed to do by their supervisor it only creates an environment that is not conducive to a good work envirnment. Everyone expects all workers to pull their weight and that means doing what one is instructed to do.

5. I the employer am NOT here to babysit you or any other employees. I've got enough MUCH larger headaches to manage w/o having to deal w/ petty issues when it comes to personal conflicts between employees. In other words, I do NOT have the time for such and if it becomes too much both employees WILL be dismissed. End of story. Zip, nada, I don't care. Good-bye.

And yes, I have fired two grown men from their jobs because of such. I do NOT have the time for it and I REFUSE to see it and hear it much less for it to happen in front of other employees and our customers. A job is a job and there is nowhere that it is written that all employees must be of all the same personal beliefs. If that were the case........... omygosh it would be impossible to find employees.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:40 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
This sounds like it all came from the supervisor. Do you have a HR office you could go to?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
I am a believer in what goes around comes around. Be patient if you insist on staying around. And if this employee is really as you say and unfair, they will push the wrong person and it will backfire on them.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:15 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Did you raise your voice in this encounter with another employee? Did you speak harshly at the other employee? Did you get into the other employees face, in that encounter? Did you get angry, and sound angry in the encounter with another employee?

If you did one of those, then you were acting in a threatening manner to mild mannered people. If you are a man, and the one you had the encounter with is a woman, you especially are acting in a threatening manner if you did any of those.

From your attitude, it looks to me and some of the other posters, you did one or more of these, and the other party complained about you.

You don't have to threaten to throw a punch or something like that, to threaten a person. You can threaten them, by just raising your voice and speaking sharply, especially if you are a man, and the other party was a woman or a very mild mannered smaller than you are man.

If you did any of the above, a company has to protect themselves, and make sure the person that frightens some other employee does not do it again, and will always write you up in today's climate. They do it to protect the company, even if they are not sure you were any threat, but just being perceived to have done so they must write you you and have it on record.

I know this is an old thread, but feel it needs another answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment