Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 PM

311 posts, read 843,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

What on earth are you talking about? I hardly had a "decent life" in the 80's. I was absolutely broke at one point living in an apartment that was condemned a month after I moved out, and forget filling my tank, I couldn't afford a car for a few years and took the bus.

I've been broke at the point of poverty, homeless sleeping on a friends floor, and unemployed. Instead of pitying myself it MADE ME STRONGER. It made me more determined to make something of myself, and I worked a MANUAL LABOR JOB to get there! Frankly I'm proud of the fact that instead of sitting on my ass waiting for the perfect job to come along that I was oh so qualified for, I took a manual labor job at minimum wage working in the dead of winter in a building without heat. Can you say that you took a minimum wage manual labor job? Can you? Better yet would you? I tend to doubt it.

And no, I don't feel sorry for someone that kills themself. They are a coward. I feel sorry for the family they leave behind. Big difference.

well basically you didn't read any of my posts, i was a housekeeper for years, i also helped my mom with tasks such as caring for my two dying grandparents who both died my senior year of highschool, etc......and your supposed "poverty" is nothing compared to the poverty of some of these kids who have come from China, India and yes even parts of the United States where I come from..........imagine living as a child with no heat for 18 YEARS, the house leaking water when it rains, it getting moldy and your mom can't afford repairs, imagine no AC in the summer time and your toilets barely working and you can smell the stench all through the house while your trying to study...while you're trying to sleep....imagine wondering if you're going to eat tonight for 18 YEARS...wearing the same shoes even though you've outgrown them and it hurts because you don't want to burden your gracious and lovely mother with another expense...you're that ashamed you don't want to burden someone you deeply love about SHOES to walk in...sometimes it felt like a LONG prison sentence and even during my young years I didn't kill myself because of the hope of a college education....but i STILL felt blessed living like that because honestly at least we had running water that was sanitary at least we had shelter above our heads....and all these kids, all any of us want is the chance to ESCAPE that type of existence....to make ourselves better......and i don't blame the kid from middle class on down just wanting a chance at a decent living right now after all our struggles...we don't want a dream job we just want a job we can LIVE on...like seriously,even people on minimum wage CAN'T live on minimum wage in this country.............However, Alot of us went to college through hard work and we didn't have mommy or daddy OR FRIENDS to help us through our journey...I didn't have anyone to call if i was homeless (which I was for the first 4 weeks in NYC during an unpaid internship one time and BOY was it scary being in a shelter by myself as a 19 year old until i found a place i could do housekeeping in exchange for housing)........some of them came to a different part of the country or even another country entirely alone as freshman with no friends or support and they still made it...

honestly was your lil tirade about your "struggles" supposed to make me feel like you understand anything about the human condition and that you can relate to the entire world???......Because honestly you seem like a very bitter person who is taking your anger and angst out on the wrong thing....I think YOU'RE the weak one for thinking that a few years of struggle makes you the expert on anything regarding someone else's life....I think instead of using your well functioning mind for good or to impact change you'd rather sit on a website and belittle people who have committed suicide and call them weak

However if you can sleep at night with your animosity, then I wish you well in your lovely journey....and I'm just going to agree to disagree with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,438 times
[quote=annerk;13887002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

No more than I am responsible for the criminal acts of CEO's and Wall Street, something which you imply repeatedly that anyone who enjoys a comfortable life in the US is.

So now you are saying that there are no homeless in Europe? You get more ridiculous with your claims with each post.
Are you joking?

Annerk, your inferences about how the homeless in Europe live are as ridiculous as your inferences about my posts. There are homeless people in Europe, but they largely do not live in cardboard boxes except by choice, because there is a strong social fabric here. They are not tossed out on the street or living under bridges or in their cars as is the case in most places in the U.S.

There are plenty of individuals in the U.S. who enjoy a comfortable life who live responsible lives of compassion toward others. From what you write at this forum (unless you are actually taking the mickey--which I do sometimes wonder when I read some of your posts) you are not one of them.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM

[quote=annerk;13887021]
Quote:

Then you need to think again. Another meaning for it is "to slow down" or simply "slow." Don't try to put words in my mouth.
Annerk, you did not say, "Moral development was found to be retarded by three key factors." What you SAID was:

the home of the socially repressed and morally retarded.

You are an intelligent woman. Surely you understand the difference.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Ironically there are still companies hiring for I/T jobs in India. I wonder if she expanded her search to any of them? It's unfortunate that she killed herself, but please, a sense of entitlement? "all he was looking for were sales and promotion staff, which isn't suitable for me at all." Why? Because those jobs are below her? She didn't even TRY them. That in itself makes me not feel at all sorry for her.
Please tell me you are taking the mickey.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
...wow...so a Chinese girl has to go to India now....so should I expand my search as well and go to India??Because I mean, honestly, there's nothing here either...maybe the whole entire world just needs to go to India aka the IT Promised Land and all our troubles would disappear since our own governments don't seem to give a d**N about job creation right now

BTW PLEASE READ THese ARTICLEs ABOUT HOW THE RECESSION IS AFFECTING PEOPLE IN INDIA--AND OH LOOK ANOTHER YOUNG PERSON COMMITTED SUICIDE...aka the "Promised Land"
An Electrical Engineer
Failing to get job, IIT student commits suicide - Express India

an Accounting student-
The Hindu : News / National : Indian student commits suicide in Australia

An MBA Graduate who had been looking for 2 YEARS
Frustrated over Being Jobless, MBA Graduate Commits Suicide in Indore

A 38 year old MBA grad who could not find work and killed his wife and child
Unable to Find Job | Man Kills Family | Suicide Note | Bihar MBA Graduate | Recession - Oneindia News

Do you want more?? Here is a video

YouTube - India fears recession as unemployment soars - 14 Apr 09
or would you suggest that anymore people need to try India???

and you call HER entitled? every death and suicide should be mourned...and honestly I'm not too entitled to NOT feel sorry over the death of a human life

BTW-When she says "not suitable" it could mean alot of things and not just "oh im a spoiled brat" did you evem read about her background? Where she came from? The life she grew up with? ........ While you're complaining about not being able to fill up your gas tank in the 1980s her parents were farming in the country faced with poverty and all this girl wanted to do was make a decent life just like the one you had in the 1980s??? I WOULD never wish my situation upon even my WORST enemy...but I'm so tempted to wish my situation, and both of these girl's situations upon you so that you can humble yourself.....until you have walked in our shoes in this economy i don't think you have a clue...I've been humbled and even though I curse being broke all the time I do find it a blessing that it has opened up my mind to the human condition and I feel like a part of the community, the world right now...that we are all suffering through this economy and when it gets better we will be all the more better for it because of our experiences.....I can't wait until my generation grows up to middle age because we will be a more caring and compassionate lot and that counts for alot more than whose employed vs. unemployed and why they're inferior...and honestly that thought is what keeps me going and gives me hope, how me and my generation will turn out in the future......but people like you don't feel that sense of community, you're so closed off that you honestly stated that you don't feel sorry for a person who killed herself, everyone is just a commodity...it's everyone fault that they are unemployed

BTW-GRANDVIEW GLORIA-thankyou for your post...it actually made my day because honestly for hard-working people NOT finding a decent job to take care of yourself is a horrible nightmare day-in and day-out esp just starting out in the world and after all of that sacrifice in college...and some people take it way too lightly...LMAO and I had to say i had the exact same feelings about college as you did, I thought my dorm was a palace and I for one thought the food was excellent
As PurpleLove would say, too bad I can't rep you again right now.

Great post. You give me hope for the future of America.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandviewgloria View Post
people try to empathize with me over the fact that i grew up in a shack without running water, killing water moccasins for food...pulling up wild onions from the schoolyard, to have something to take home for us to eat. But that was nothing. I didn't have to worry about money for bills. Hell! I had it good!

So, when i sidled up to old people and offered to pull their weeds...and they gave me little bits of money...i was rich! We did have electricity (a bare bulb on a cord hanging from the ceiling), and i could sit and read ragged ten-year-old copies of town & country and the new yorker, and memorize everything i was going to need to know, for when i got even richer. And when i was nine, and got a job riding around with an old bootlegger, counting the money people gave him, bundling it and stashing beneath me, it in the back console compartment of his crushed-velvet-lined black fleetwood talisman....i had arrived.

and when i got to college (scholarship/work study/offcampus jobs) and got fabulous, gourmet food, every day (the cafeteria!...roast beef! Blueberry pie!...simply ambrosial!), access to a gym, free interpretive dance lessons, free biofeedback training, theatre workshops....i couldn't grab it all, fast enough. And it's been an exciting zoom, upward, on the escalator of life, ever since.

But the point is there were jobs back then. The economy was expanding. america's elites were not, at that point, doing everything humanly possible to destroy the american people. jobs were not being outsourced. Foreign workers were not being brought in on 'special' visas, to undercut educated americans. America's blacks and poor whites still could get decent jobs at living wages, because there were not twenty or thirty million illegal aliens in the country competing for those jobs. Tens of millions of immigrants were not sending billions upon billions of dollars, each year, back to their families in foreign countries (money gone, forever, from our economy...anybody remember multiplier effect from economics?). Actual americans could open small businesses, back then, and give a girl like me a little job.

Buses were safe. College campuses were still for high-iq people, and thus still safe. I could walk, and go, and do...and not have to worry that some creature who had no business on campus, or even in this country, was going to jump me. Things have gone down that far, since just the eighties!

In the grownup world, people do have bills. They have to worry about paying the dentist, and car insurance, and car tags.... It's one bill after another, or you go live in a cardboard box, under a bridge, and pray that 'underserved youth' won't murder you in some gruesome way, just for fun.

Dh & kids wake me up from nightmares about missing class for a course i'd forgotten i was enrolled in, or missing some job i forgot i had, or missing an acquisition formality, or a board meeting. And they stop a sleepwalking me from trying to wake my long-dead grandmother from her recurring nightmares, or trying to save my long-dead mother from some long-dead man beating on her. I'm high-maintenance when asleep. but i've never had a nightmare about job-hunting.

i say prayers of thanks for being able to occasionally take poor working guys with mouths full of rotten teeth, like my old mechanic, to my dentist, throw a big check at the lady who does the books, and say "anything he needs. Call me if you need more" (they never do...they take up the slack, themselves). I give thanks for a husband i can depend on, and kids who solve problems, instead of causing them. I spend a lot of time giving thanks. So this is something new for my list: thanks that i've never had trouble finding a job.

it would be horrible. The terror i would feel would be like the terror of being trapped by a psychokiller, with no way out. I know why that poor girl killed herself. Joblessness would be a terror that i could not cope with, for long. finding a job should not be so hard that you have to be perfect, incredibly motivated, or fabulously-talented, or connected, or the right color (anything but white) to get one. That girl was the victim of conditions deliberately created by the elites of 'great' britain and the eu.
BRAVO!!!! BRAVO!!!!! BRAVO!!!!

Wonderful post.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
[quote=DreamingSpires;13889960]
Quote:

Are you joking?

Annerk, your inferences about how the homeless in Europe live are as ridiculous as your inferences about my posts. There are homeless people in Europe, but they largely do not live in cardboard boxes except by choice, because there is a strong social fabric here. They are not tossed out on the street or living under bridges or in their cars as is the case in most places in the U.S.

There are plenty of individuals in the U.S. who enjoy a comfortable life who live responsible lives of compassion toward others. From what you write at this forum (unless you are actually taking the mickey--which I do sometimes wonder when I read some of your posts) you are not one of them.
My husband and I donated a full 10% of our GROSS incomes to charity last year. Between us we put in close to 1500 volunteer hours last year. What did you do to make the world a better place?

The difference is that we acknowledge that we can't save the world, and handouts don't work, if you want to truly help people, you give them a hand up. Big difference. We also believe that with a very narrow exception of people with severe mental and physical challenges completely beyond ones control (stuffing food into your gob until you weigh so much that you can't move isn't one of them), it is not the role of the government to provide for it's citizens. That should be the sole responsibility of private charities.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
As PurpleLove would say, too bad I can't rep you again right now.

Great post. You give me hope for the future of America.
Why do you care so much? Maybe your attention should be turned to solving the problems in your own country. And they claim Americans interfere too much.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:21 AM

[quote=annerk;13892636]
Quote:

My husband and I donated a full 10% of our GROSS incomes to charity last year. Between us we put in close to 1500 volunteer hours last year. What did you do to make the world a better place?

The difference is that we acknowledge that we can't save the world, and handouts don't work, if you want to truly help people, you give them a hand up. Big difference. We also believe that with a very narrow exception of people with severe mental and physical challenges completely beyond ones control (stuffing food into your gob until you weigh so much that you can't move isn't one of them), it is not the role of the government to provide for it's citizens. That should be the sole responsibility of private charities.
Good morning Annerk. You have a strange idea of what it means to "help." Acts of charity are good per se, but they do not compensate for sins in other areas, unless done with a contrite heart. Perhaps subconsciously, you donate so much to charity in order to soothe a troubled conscience.

Since I don't believe in reinveinting the wheel, I will simply repost what I wrote to you a while back, the first time we were stuck in this particular tape loop:

Quote:
ANNERK said: And I do for many. I've given many people advice, helped them network, the list goes on. I've paid the electric bill (anonymously) for people facing shut off and sent grocery gift cards to people. Really, what more am I supposed to do?

DREAMING SPIRES said: I can think of one. You could start by treating unemployed people on this very forum with respect, instead of dishing out the canned, cliched, often condescending answers you are usually peddling here--which I have no doubt have caused immense hurt, discouragement, and pain to some of the many very vulnerable jobseekers who read and post here.

Sorry if that offends you Annerk, but it's the truth.
As regards what I do to help others--there is someone to whom I answer for that, and I assure you, His name is NOT Annerk.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Why do you care so much? Maybe your attention should be turned to solving the problems in your own country. And they claim Americans interfere too much.
Hmmmm... I do wonder why my posts get under your skin so much.

As I mentioned to you before, I have a vested interest in what happens in America, because:

(1) members of my own immediate family are American citizens
(2) because whatever happens there has a knock-on effect on the entire world and
(3) all men and women are my brothers and sisters, including all the unemployed and underemployed Americans who are suffering at the moment. Someone has to speak up for them here, because you clearly will not.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment