Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:07 PM

294 posts, read 476,580 times

Advertisements

After deciding to make a career change I attended and completed a programming bootcamp last year. After a couple month job search I found a gig with a small start-up company and worked as a software developer. Long story short, I was let go after a few months after it was determined they needed more senior engineers, and thought I hadn't progressed quickly enough to contribute significantly to their current projects. The company was going through a lot of changes so it was a pretty chaotic environment, and I didn't really have a ton of support, which I felt I needed as someone more junior. That being said, I learned some pretty valuable things.

For anyone familiar with this industry, I'm trying to determine how employers would see this kind of experience, and how I should present it going into interviews in the future. I had never been fired before so I'm trying to approach this as best I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
With that short of a duration, I would spin it as a contract position, and that the contract ended.

I'm in IT and have also worked for smaller organizations. Smaller shops want people who can do everything and wear every hat in the department, whereas it's easier to be a cog in the wheel at a larger organization or truly have a junior role and be given a chance to develop.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
With that short of a duration, I would spin it as a contract position, and that the contract ended.

I'm in IT and have also worked for smaller organizations. Smaller shops want people who can do everything and wear every hat in the department, whereas it's easier to be a cog in the wheel at a larger organization or truly have a junior role and be given a chance to develop.
Lie?

Old 03-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Lie?
The guy is fresh out of a boot camp with no other experience. Saying "I was fired for incompetence" is going to be a sure-fire way to not get the next position.

He needs to spin this as positively as he can, stay at the next position for at least a couple of years so he has come kind of track record, and then drop this short-term job off the resume.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
The guy is fresh out of a boot camp with no other experience. Saying "I was fired for incompetence" is going to be a sure-fire way to not get the next position.

He needs to spin this as positively as he can, stay at the next position for at least a couple of years so he has come kind of track record, and then drop this short-term job off the resume.
I agree he needs to spin it. He has to find a way that doesn't involve lying.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I agree he needs to spin it. He has to find a way that doesn't involve lying.
He's not going to use these people as a reference. An employment gap is better than being honest about the termination.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:11 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:

I like this spinning. Yes it is lying but the OP was set up for failure. They should have never hired him.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:40 PM

801 posts, read 547,591 times
Quote:
Lie?
A friend was mine was fired from a job some years ago. He asked a recruiter for a well known agency about what to say if the question come up. The recruiter replied:

"Never tell anyone you got fired. Tell him you left and make up a plausible reason that sounds like a one-time thing."

The week after I graduated college, I went to a staffing agency who came to my alma mater. She sent me a assessment test to check my technical skills on a popular software people use in office settings (Quickbooks, Excel, Access, etc..). When I went to meet her, she asked me how come my score wasn't higher and I told her I did my honest best. As I was leaving her office, she sighed and said:

"Look... You seem like a nice kid. But if you want to get a job you gotta know how to play the game. I have a lot of contractors who consider those scores to hire for entry level work even though the tests aren't being monitored. You understand what I am saying... right?"

It took me like 2 years to finally understand she was implying it would have been alright if I cheated to get a good score.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:58 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
For anyone familiar with this industry, I'm trying to determine how employers would see this kind of experience, and how I should present it going into interviews in the future. I had never been fired before so I'm trying to approach this as best I can.
Startups work their people to death and have bad management.

How would I present this? "I was let go because of issues in the company. Due to a confidentiality agreement, I cannot go into details."

Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 PM

294 posts, read 476,580 times
Quote:
He's not going to use these people as a reference. An employment gap is better than being honest about the termination.
I was thinking about leaving them off the resume, but as a first job I feel like it would be better to show that I gained some experience (rather than sitting around doing nothing) and spin my exit from the company as has been mentioned so far. They also did mention they liked me and I could use them as a reference if needed, though not sure if that would be a good idea or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I like this spinning. Yes it is lying but the OP was set up for failure. They should have never hired him.
The job was definitely a bit over my head and there was virtually no job description when I applied (it now asks for a senior developer). They didn't know what they were looking for and essentially took a gamble in the hopes of training me up and building a team in the local office, only to realize they don't have the resources or time to devote to junior developers. Also, they started hiring developers in another office overseas for a fraction of what they were paying me. Maybe I could state they were low on funds and decided to move the development team over there where it's cheaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment