U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:09 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,592,072 times
Default Short term disability due to stress?

Hi all,

I hate asking this.. but I really need advice.
Ok, so I hate my job (as I'm sure most people do). I dread the night before work. On my days off, all I can think about is "OMGG, I do not want to go back to work"..and I find it hard to enjoy time off AWAY from it.. lol

I get 1 day off one week, then the following week is a 3 day weekend. I can never fully enjoy those 3 days because..I think "OH GOD, WORK in __ days".

I do not want to quit because I do get paid WELL (for me, at least). At the same time, I also wouldn't mind being laid off/collecting unemployment. Our company seems to be kind of shaky at the moment. We've had a lot of layoffs (and im upset I wasn't one, lol) and there's a rumor that the company is for sale. But who knows what is truly going on, we'll just find that out if it ever happens.

Regardless, my instinct is to just "QUIT and find something else ASAP". But that's being irrational and not thinking about anything else (bills, rent, FOOD, etc).

I'm curious if these are signs of being overly stressed out. Would this be something I could go on short-term disability for? Something just to get away from work for like 6-8 weeks..and hopefully.. come back feeling refreshed? Deep down inside I really don't WANT to quit--that's just my irrational thoughts--but I really believe something like time off like that would REALLY help me out.. A LOT. I could not go for some kind of "unpaid leave" due to bills, rent, and food.

If so, what would the process? Do I talk to my doctor and take it from there?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 04:21 PM

23,224 posts, read 30,341,134 times
I highly doubt you would qualify for disability based on what you are saying. Disability normally has a one week waiting period anyhow, and only pays a percentage of your salary.

Do you get vacation time? It seems that scheduling a week off would be a good idea--and use it to begin looking for a new job.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,592,072 times
I do get vacation time. Unfortunately it has to be acrued and not just given at the beginning of the year. One week off to look for a job just wouldn't seem like enough. I just don't know what to do anymore. I know I'm not alone on this, but still. Having knots in my stomach at just the THOUGHT of going just doesn't seem to be OK.

Grrr, I hate money.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM

225 posts, read 607,831 times
You must work for the same people I do! Here is my experience with this exact same thing. In my case, like you, couldn't sleep at night (went five nights once) dreaded going in every morning, thought about work all weekend, etc etc....all the same things I know you are experiencing. I used to "flip out" as my colleagues put it, cursing fits and the sort. One day when I got up for work, I just couldn't bring myself to go in. I called in sick for a week and finally the boss called and wanted to know what was up. I told him I was stressed and wanted short term disability. He told me "not happening" but take as much time as you need WITHOUT PAY! So I did. I just didn't care at that point. I went to a couple weeks of therapy, developed an "I don't care" attitude about work, and went back with a new attitude and immediately started looking for another job. Sadly, I have yet to find one suitable. BUT...it's amazing how much better I feel now that I have joined "the rest of them" that were adding to my stress because they didn't do their jobs or care about their work. I found out that I can just show up like them, not care like them, still do a good job but accept no responsibility like them, and work 8 hrs a day instead of 12-16 like I used to and guess what?? No stress, check still comes every other Friday (just smaller but who cares...it's worth it) and nobody noticed that counts (management) that I don't care anymore.
I know it is hard to develop this attitude, but a MUST for your sanity. Your not alone. Consider counseling...most large companies pay for the first three sessions. GOOD LUCK.
I doubt you qualify for short term disability.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 3,848,609 times
scapegoata, I am in the same boat as you. I could have written your paragraph, word for word.

I, too, used to care, and one day I said "I don't care anymore", and then going to work became noticably less miserable.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
JS1

At my job, you have to be admitted to a mental hospital in order to qualify for short-term disability. I will quit before I get THAT stressed out!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,693,045 times
OMG.... H0tmess, it sounds exactly like the company I work for, right down to having to 'accrue' your time off!!!!

I feel the same way about my job and have the same issues --- on Saturday, I'm stressing about having to go back on Monday. On Sunday, my first thought upon waking is being stressed about going back the next day. When I'm there, I literally count down the time until the day is over.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM

225 posts, read 607,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
scapegoata, I am in the same boat as you. I could have written your paragraph, word for word.

I, too, used to care, and one day I said "I don't care anymore", and then going to work became noticably less miserable.
I am "old school" and was taught by my father to give 110 percent and do the best job always. I have always followed that philosophy until the job cost me my marriage (always working and in a bad mood on the rare time off) and then went the blood pressure and stress related health problems and then on to serious drinking/nerve pills to try to make it go away.

Yes, I know......if it's that bad quit. Not an option as the bastards pay me too well and too near retirement. So....it took several tries to develop and sucessfully carry out the new "I don't care attitude" but I finally did it, and it works for me. No more booze, nerve pills, stress etc. I actually laugh at stuff that used to light me up. I have had customers comment that they miss the "old me" because I was way more fun when I cursed and swore and carried on like a madman. Geez.

I timed my change with a change in supervision so that the when the new supervisor came to my department, she had no clue what I was like before, so she has no idea that I used to be the number one producer so the rest could slack off and not have to work. Now, I am "one of them" and the only change other than my health is that the rest of them now have to sort of do their job. It's actually funny because it kills the coworkers that I won't do their work for them or help them look good anymore.

In the old days, a customers network was out of service, I would just go fix it while the others tried to decide where to go for breakfast or lunch, or argue who was going to go, or just flat ask me to go for them. Now, I just sit back with my feet on the desk like them and yawn and act lazy and worthless like them and join in on meal discussions and argue about going out to work. I basically do what I want, when I want, and work overtime if I feel like it. What is really sad is the new boss lady thinks I am great and praises me for a "good job" frequently. Sad.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 PM
JS1

wow... it is bizarre isn't it

Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 AM

19,127 posts, read 14,092,448 times
I was put on short term disability for stress from the workplace. Basically, I was put in the hospital because of dehydration and found out that the stress was causing my organs to go into some sort of distress mode. After being in the hospital for 9 days, my doctor put me on disability. Basically, there's a form he had to fill out once a month explaining why I was still on disability.

My workplace then, unceremoniously, let me go the day after my FMLA leave expired. I then found my current job..which is AWESOME.

You can talk to your doctor, but they're the ones who have to initiate and sign off on disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment