U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with someone I did a phone interview with last week. This is the third time he's called me since then, despite me telling him at the conclusion of the phone interview that we were speaking with other candidates, and we would be notifying everyone of our decision whether they were the successful candidate or not.

At this point even if he had been in the running I would have circular filed him. He's become an annoying pest.

Had he sent an email thanking me for the phone interview and adding one or two additional points or even clarifying something, he would have gotten brownie points. At this point he's become a PITA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 11:53 AM

1,463 posts, read 5,664,451 times
Oh yeah...or maybe your the pest? Were in the 2nd worst economic climate in over 70 years and you posted on the forum your anger over a guy who obviously is desperate to find work and support himself? GTFOH!!!! Please post the name of your company and department so I don't waste time ever applying to a job working for you...and the term your looking for is not annoying phone calls its called "follow up".. see in sales job he would of got credit for that......

Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Oh yeah...or maybe your the pest? Were in the 2nd worst economic climate in over 70 years and you posted on the forum your anger over a guy who obviously is desperate to find work and support himself? GTFOH!!!! Please post the name of your company and department so I don't waste time ever applying to a job working for you...and the term your looking for is not annoying phone calls its called "follow up".. see in sales job he would of got credit for that......
You don't need to follow up THREE TIMES in one week. That's not only unprofessional but also shows that you have a lack of concern for the interviewers time.

And uh, explain how I'm "the pest."

Also it seems like you are the one with the anger problem, I'm not angry about it, my post was put out there to make sure that others don't make the same mistakes this applicant has made.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,381,625 times
Yep, following up once is okay, this is what happens when you over do it.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,246,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
At this point even if he had been in the running I would have circular filed him. He's become an annoying pest.
So he wasn't in the running to begin with? Why on Earth wouldn't you just tell him that so he can move on and stop wasting his time?

Quote:
. . . we would be notifying everyone of our decision whether they were the successful candidate or not.
Also, why not just give him a date as to when you'll be making the decision and tell him you'll let him know then or if he hasn't heard anything, he didn't get the position?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
So he wasn't in the running to begin with? Why on Earth wouldn't you just tell him that so he can move on and stop wasting his time?
He was in the running to begin with, or I wouldn't have done a phone interview with him.

Quote:
Also, why not just give him a date as to when you'll be making the decision and tell him you'll let him know then or if he hasn't heard anything, he didn't get the position?
Who said we didn't? Everyone who applied got an e-mail thanking them for applying. It stated the date that we'd be making a decision by, and said if they didn't hear from us by then, we had gone with another applicant. As a courtesy we'll be sending a second email to those we actually interviewed just so they aren't kept hanging in case they missed it on the first email.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:37 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,794,977 times
Giving dates is also not always possible. We may go through the candidates in order and see who is interested. We wouldn't tell the person who may be #3 on our list anything until we talk to #1 and #2 to see if they are interested (in either an offer or another round of interviews).

Old 05-07-2010, 03:01 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,769,376 times
I have to agree with Annerk here. I don't think calling 3 times in a week is being persistent--it's desperate and being a pest.

I don't care HOW MUCH you want that job, you come off as a jackass calling three times in a week.

Desperation doesn't impress anyone. It's not a sound byte on CNN.

You can't expect this to be some 'soap opera' ending where you think I will keep bugging them and they will give me the job because I showed 'how much I am a go getter.'

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 05-07-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,664,451 times
Quote:
You don't need to follow up THREE TIMES in one week. That's not only unprofessional but also shows that you have a lack of concern for the interviewers time.

And uh, explain how I'm "the pest."

Also it seems like you are the one with the anger problem, I'm not angry about it, my post was put out there to make sure that others don't make the same mistakes this applicant has made.

Yeah I'm a little angry because we have a fellow american citizen who needs help finding work and instead of contacting this guy and offering some tips you went on City Data to bash him and make your self look significantly more intelligent and important over something very small and trivial. You obviously have never worked in a homeless shelter like I have or a soup kitchen like I have and seen good hard working fellow americans out on their luck because they lost a job and went thru savings before finding new work. So excuse me for not finding the depth behind your op..........

Old 05-07-2010, 03:29 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,766,468 times
Quote:
I just got off the phone with someone I did a phone interview with last week. This is the third time he's called me since then, despite me telling him at the conclusion of the phone interview that we were speaking with other candidates, and we would be notifying everyone of our decision whether they were the successful candidate or not.

Had he sent an email thanking me for the phone interview and adding one or two additional points or even clarifying something, he would have gotten brownie points. At this point he's become a PITA.
what ever happened to someone really wanting the job!! This shows that the person really wants the job and is willing to take a chance. I find this a good quality. It makes me sad, maybe they really need the job and that the employee that will be loyal and do a great job!! Keep an open mind kid~ Desperate people try hard and work hard and are grateful to show their stuff. I find it not a bad quality at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or