Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 02:14 PM

88 posts, read 334,193 times

Advertisements

I have a supervisor who has no back bone at all. She plays ignorant and everyone is losing so much respect for her. She lets certain people do what they want. HELP!! Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,032,538 times
Sorry to say, welcome to the world of work.
I am sure her boss knows but unless the overall department flounders nothing will be done.

There are always pets and always people given more than their share of work.

I had one supervisor with a major personality disorder. She was up one minute, angry the next, and hostile the following. I am sure she hated her job. Eventually they moved her out of the department, offered me her job (I was pregnant and did not want it), and they got someone else who 'took' the company for maternity leave despite only working at our company 2 months.

Supervising is not easy, however. You may need to adjust your own attitude and focus more on your job and less on hers.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:56 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,038,935 times
I have found that many supervisors/managers are deathly afraid of conflict. The last thing in the world they want is to have to deal with issues. They will do their best to maintain the status quo.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,863,763 times
The first thing I would do is not get too wrapped up in what 'everyone' thinks about your boss. Your career won't be based on what 'everyone' thinks or does, only what you do and what your boss thinks of you as an individual.

And then I would put myself in my boss' shoes and try to understand what their thought process is. Whether I agree with the boss or not, understanding where they are coming from makes working for them a lot easier.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:27 PM

88 posts, read 334,193 times
Our supervisor avoids any conflict and being in the work force many years I can attest to the fact this is true. Its sad and I would have been gone long ago if jobs were more plentiful. Been with this company 9 years. I think though like my state Minnesota i believe their are still lots of jobs in Direct support care and non profits. Thanks for all your comments.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:11 AM

924 posts, read 2,226,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taw1955 View Post
I have a supervisor who has no back bone at all. She plays ignorant and everyone is losing so much respect for her. She lets certain people do what they want. HELP!! Any advice?
Sounds exactly like my supervisor. Complaints were lodged and she just swept them under the rug. She doesn't lead our team, instead she leaves us to our own devices, much to the chagrin of her manager. Then the manager gets pissed at her subordinates for stepping up to the plate and taking on "unauthorized" leadership roles. Due to popular demand, we got to evaluate our supervisor via an "upward review" and the manager finally cracked the whip. Super. got moving in 2010 Q1, but in Q2, is back to her old under performing self. Says she'll do stuff, but never does. Pretty frustrating, especially when her subordinates offer to help her and she doesn't even reply to that either.

If I were you, I'd try to confront her face to face, illustrating the negative impact her inactions have on the company and the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment