Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:04 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Nonsense. Just like the big off-shoring programmers demon, the automation fear has proven to be easily outweighed by every-increasing demand in the industry.

There will be continued demand across the industry going forward, and yes even those not willing to put in 60 hour weeks will be just fine.
Yea, your probably right. After all who ever heard of older IT workers finding themselves unemployed?
The majority of IT workers stay less than 6 years on the job.
Changing jobs in your 20's not much of a problem.
30's, still, no big deal.
40's, was easier last time, but I found something.
50's, wish I had worked on a backup plan.

Maybe it will all work out for you, but........TIC TOC TIC TOC........ You can't stop time and you will get older with every second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 AM

33 posts, read 44,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
My wife's an attorney, and although the money is pretty good she has indeed stated on more than one occasion that she wishes she'd never gone to law school. It can definitely be a grind of a career.
You might be onto something.
I know this bartender who started the job when he was going to law school. He ended up having a kid, getting married, and dropping out of law school. Now he's selling insurance and still bartending on the side. He's probably better off.

I took a law class in college and the teacher (who was a practicing attorney) was trying to talk some students out of going for a law degree.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:03 AM

33 posts, read 44,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Yea, your probably right. After all who ever heard of older IT workers finding themselves unemployed?

Maybe it will all work out for you, but........TIC TOC TIC TOC........ You can't stop time and you will get older with every second.
Yeah there's been a lot of talk about ageism as of late. I have 10 years in the field and have been considering studying something else while I'm still young enough to switch careers. Thought maybe an MBA would be a good idea but the MBA market is oversaturated also.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:

Woah you're responding to something I didn't say.

I was disputing your claim that the IT industry is fast reducing the need for support staff, I never claimed that it doesn't get more difficult to switch jobs as you get older. I'm keenly aware of it and have no plans to be in this career in my 50s.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
There will be companies that IT can be left at work, and sometimes not. Especially in support, mostly not.

You make it sound like that making big money and "having a life" are mutually exclusive. For some people it may be so. Not all, however.
There will always be such companies. I've just been smart enough to avoid working at those companies.

Making big money and having a life aren't mutually exclusive. But more often than not, if you want to make more money, you have to be willing to work longer hours and/or take work home.

Quote:
With this kind of attitude and drive, I would seriously start working on your backup plan for your next career. The IT industry is fast working on reducing the need for IT support staff.
Who says I'm in support. I work in development and even with the threat of outsourcing, I've still managed to land on my feet. And even when a job didn't work out, I didn't complain about the field. I just did what I needed to adapt to the changing industry.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 732 times
i work in software technical support - have done for 7 years. Sometimes i hate it sometimes i get a real buzz from it. I know we're seen as the bottom of the food chain but i couldnt code all day and couldnt sell and i like working in technology and i like communicating. Ive been making between $40000 and $55000 the last 7 years which has paid off a good whack of my mortgage. I cant say its a dream job but ultimately you get out what you put in - like anything. And you will work with douchebags and nice guys - like anywhere. Ive done some real crappy jobs in my time but now i dont have to take sh*t from anyone and i steal cookies meant for meetings!! Im 37 and IT has helped me through that tricky phase of being broke and flying by the seat of my pants. In a few years i hope to have a small financial buffer and reassess. If you have no real burning desire to work in a particular sector and youre reasonably bright, IT is great. Low responsibility, high pay and enough work if youre not an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment