Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,862 times

Advertisements

An aside is that when I was in high school, we read The Jungle by Urban Sinclair, and other such things. I assumed that when those readings stated that the "40 hour work week" became law, that it truly had become law for everyone. And that was a long time ago. It was really kind of a shock when I found out it wasn't.

Some interesting articles about work hours:
The 40-hour work week—dead or alive?
Eight-hour day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Working time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are we done with the 40-hour week? - HOW WE WORK: Punching the clock in the new economy- msnbc.com
The State of the 40-Hour Workweek |
How one person reclaimed his 40-hour workweek
35-hour Workweek (France law)
LA Times Opinion - Bring back the 40-hour workweek -- and let us take a long vacation

Last edited by summer22; 05-11-2010 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Most weeks I probably work about 50-55 hours. One week a month about 65 hours. And two weeks a quarter 70+. But I feel I am properly compensated for those hours and I knew exactly what the expectations were before I took the job.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM

That sounds fair to you because you're being properly compensated and it was stated up front what would be needed.

This isn't meant to be a personal affront so please don't take it that way -- but do you ever think that maybe another qualified person might "need" the opportunity to work the additional 25 or 30 hours a week during the busy times -- just to make ends meet, such as a single mom, or a recent college grad, or someone's who's experienced hard luck? I've never had the opportunity to ask that question, so if you feel okay about answering it I'd value your perspective.

I have worked for a couple people who make over $100K who don't seem to feel guilty about it at all. They've worked hard, but, well, all of us do. Personally I don't think I could feel good about taking home that much money -- unless I was employing others or otherwise contributing a good portion of it to the betterment of other people. I know I can live well on under $50K and probably live well under $35K depending on where I was living.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
That sounds fair to you because you're being properly compensated and it was stated up front what would be needed.

This isn't meant to be a personal affront so please don't take it that way -- but do you ever think that maybe someone else might "need" the opportunity to work the additional 25 or 30 hours a week during the busy times -- just to make ends meet, such as a mom, or a recent college grad? I've never had the opportunity to ask that question, so if you feel okay about answering it I'd value your perspective.

I have worked for a couple people who make over $100K who don't seem to feel guilty about it at all. They've worked hard, but, well, all of us do. Personally I don't think I could feel good about taking home that much money -- unless I was employing others or otherwise contributing a good portion of it to the welfare of other people. I know I can live well on under $50K and probably live well under $35K depending on where I was living.
I'll answer the easy part first. I have never in my life felt guilty about how much I make. I can't fathom I ever will. To be perfectly honest I can't even get my head around that line of thinking. I think I am probably "average" in giving to charities, volunteering, etc.

To your first point, I have no control over that. I am not taking a job away from someone who may want to work 25 or 30 hours. That job doesn't exist.

I also don't actually think that would work very well with what I do. It's not the kind of thing where someone can just come in part time and pick up where someone else left off.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I'm listening.

I understand that you're not in control of how the job is set up. I guess none of us are in charge, really.

I hear what you're saying about your particular job possibly not working well in a cooperative atmosphere. Interestingly, most jobs I've held, no matter how unworkable it may have been, were done in a cooperative atmosphere (i.e. one person picks up where another left off.) I guess that gives me a unique perspective.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:09 PM

The other problem is that it can fluctuate when I work extra hours. Something might come up at 3 PM and I end up working until 9 PM. Or I may go home at 5:30 PM.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The other problem is that it can fluctuate when I work extra hours. Something might come up at 3 PM and I end up working until 9 PM. Or I may go home at 5:30 PM.
Sounds like my job.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:45 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Quote:
In retail, and in service industries, there is a pool of workers who work 10-20 hours per week (and don't expect anything more). Then why can't that same concept be applied to other industries?
I don't about the US, and it is a vast country for sure. But around here your average wages in retail and service, you'd hardly get your rent covered with 10-20 hours/week. And i'm not talking about anything too fancy, a studio or a room on the dumpiest edge of town. Then you'd need to find a second job in case you want to eat, or have any luxury in your life, such as electricity and water in your apartment. Do clerks, greeters, baggers, waiters, janitors and so on really get paid that much better in your area, or do they all have wealthy, generous, understanding, and patient parents?

Quote:
I think having reasonable work hours (under 45) is kind of a social consciousness that good employers would stand by. I don't think it benefits families or society as a whole if we have a system that abuses employees time (by requiring them to be at work more than 1/3 of their waking hours) or keeps many people from having even basic opportunities to work.
What about those that simply want to work more. And i mean work for an employer, not as an entrepreneur. Should they be punished more for doing exactly what they want to do, as long as there are unemployed in this world?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
I don't about the US, and it is a vast country for sure. But around here your average wages in retail and service, you'd hardly get your rent covered with 10-20 hours/week. And i'm not talking about anything too fancy, a studio or a room on the dumpiest edge of town. Then you'd need to find a second job in case you want to eat, or have any luxury in your life, such as electricity and water in your apartment. Do clerks, greeters, baggers, waiters, janitors and so on really get paid that much better in your area, or do they all have wealthy, generous, understanding, and patient parents?
Not sure you're getting the point. My point was that if there are people working 50-60 hours per week, they are working 20 hours more than the standard 40 hour work week. Which means theoretically, an additional part-time position could be created for the 20 hours.

And if these are professional positions, the rate for that part-time job would be higher than the clerks, waiters, greeters, etc. who make somewhere between minimum wage and $10 per hour generally speaking.

It would create new options and opportunities for those who enjoy working part-time, need to work part-time, or prefer to work two different types of jobs to have some variety (instead of one 40-hour per week job.)

People who at some point in their life may either enjoy or need part-time work include students (of any age), parents, caregivers to a family member, artists or creatives, people heavily involved with personal projects, people who are also beginning their own business, the semi-retired, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
What about those that simply want to work more. And i mean work for an employer, not as an entrepreneur. Should they be punished more for doing exactly what they want to do, as long as there are unemployed in this world?
Well -- you tell me. Is it fair for people to "hoard" or "hog" the available work, while others who are looking for decent work and are qualified, are going hungry?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM

France apparently had this motivation when they passed their 35-hour per workweek law.

35-hour workweek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment