Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:48 PM

128 posts, read 403,360 times

Advertisements

I have a number of friends and relatives who have been unemployed for over a year. When they talk to hiring managers or recruiters they are told that the longer they are unemployed the harder it is to get a job.

Here is why: Employers want people who are in demand by others. Even in today's economy the general feeling by MOST people who are in a position to hire someone is that the best people are working or if they were thrown out of work in a mass layoff, the best individuals will get a job relatively quickly. So the longer a person is out of work the harder it will be accepted by recruiters and hiring managers. People are insecure about their own decisions and want validation by others. If a person is seen as being constantly being rejected by others then the hiring manager will assume that their is something wrong with them. It is like the High School kid who is turned down five times for a date to the prom asking the sixth girl. She will likely say no also because she does not want to accept a loser.

If you have been out of work for a long time expect continued unemployment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
I have a number of friends and relatives who have been unemployed for over a year. When they talk to hiring managers or recruiters they are told that the longer they are unemployed the harder it is to get a job.

Here is why: Employers want people who are in demand by others. Even in today's economy the general feeling by MOST people who are in a position to hire someone is that the best people are working or if they were thrown out of work in a mass layoff, the best individuals will get a job relatively quickly. So the longer a person is out of work the harder it will be accepted by recruiters and hiring managers. People are insecure about their own decisions and want validation by others. If a person is seen as being constantly being rejected by others then the hiring manager will assume that their is something wrong with them. It is like the High School kid who is turned down five times for a date to the prom asking the sixth girl. She will likely say no also because she does not want to accept a loser.

If you have been out of work for a long time expect continued unemployment!
Either the hiring managers are heartless, or they forgot that this is a numbers game: MANY folks are unemployed, and vying (spelling?) for the same positions. So, getting hired can take a while.

They are missing the obvious. The hundreds of resumes are staring them in the face daily. Wonder if they can see the forest for the trees ...

Old 05-10-2010, 04:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Don't you ever get tired of making the same posts, Weekend Traveler?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 PM

128 posts, read 403,360 times
Why is everyone always defending the long term unemployed? Why can't they just get off their XXX and start working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Either the hiring managers are heartless, or they forgot that this is a numbers game: MANY folks are unemployed, and vying (spelling?) for the same positions. So, getting hired can take a while.

They are missing the obvious. The hundreds of resumes are staring them in the face daily. Wonder if they can see the forest for the trees ...

Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM

80 posts, read 206,474 times
It is heartless and ignorant, but corporate America as a whole is very slow to change their way of thinking. And HR people, in general, seem to be insulated and out of touch with reality. The OP is right about how they perceive the long-term unemployed (even though he came back and made a heartless, ignorant comment afterwards). I'm convinced that is the reason why I've had so much trouble finding a job. The lesson learned, since we can't force them to wake up and get with it, is this: as soon as you lose your job, don't wait even a single day to start looking for a new job. And don't ever quit your job without having another one lined up first. These two are the biggest mistakes I've ever made in my life. Never again.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Quote:
Why is everyone always defending the long term unemployed? Why can't they just get off their XXX and start working?
Why not indeed - do YOU have 15 million jobs to offer ? No? Then kindly **** and crawl back under your rock

Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,927 times
Quote:
I hope you get the opportunity to look for a job during this recession. Maybe you will get laid off and get to see what it is like. Until you can put yourself in the shoes of the long term unemployed, you need to shut the he$$ up!

Some of us have been working our asses off trying to find a job. Ever filled out 1000 applications? Ever stayed up until 2:00 a.m. working on your resume? Ever had your resume reviewed only to be told that your resume is excellent? Ever spent hours practicing interviewing? Ever spent your savings looking for work in an area with lower unemployment only to find no jobs available due to the low population? Ever moved to a bad neighborhood to look for work in a larger city? Ever spent hours in Borders reading up on interviewing? Well, I have. There are just no damn jobs in my field and I can't change careers unless I go further into debt which I am forcing myself to do in the fall. I have to go into debt because $%*$ing companies won't hire someone with no experience in the field.

FYI: Minimum wage jobs aren't hiring. In many areas, these greedy companies are choosing to hire illegals over Americans. I have tried to find a minimum wage job and have had no luck. I thought my degree had something to do with it, but my 18 year old nephew can't find a minimum wage job either. He had one interview, but the store called and cancelled before he could even attend the interview.

FYI: Hundreds of thousands of people have been laid off in my field and my field is continuing to shed hundreds of thousands more jobs.

FYI: Let's do some comparisons to previous years. In 1998, I looked for a job and was hired on the spot after 1 application. I looked for a job in 2006 and was hired after 5 applications. I have been working since I was 11 and now suddenly find myself among the long-term unemployed.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM

30 posts, read 67,483 times
There are people who say they worked there Ass off and built their financial strength through blood, sweat and tears. The American Dream. Yes, I say that our country still gives that opportunity, but it usually takes Daddy and Mommy to grease the palm some...or the Uncle or whatever. They boast of pulling up their bootstraps and starting their own business.
These are the same people who are telling the Unemployed American to get off their ass and get a job. They have no idea what really pulling up your bootstraps are and really building yourself from the ground up. They are the Republicans, the hard core right wingers, the cold hearted, profit driven snobs.
Vote !!!!!! Get rid of these cold hearted, ruthless Republicans.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handd4utexas View Post
There are people who say they worked there Ass off and built their financial strength through blood, sweat and tears. The American Dream. Yes, I say that our country still gives that opportunity, but it usually takes Daddy and Mommy to grease the palm some...or the Uncle or whatever. They boast of pulling up their bootstraps and starting their own business.
These are the same people who are telling the Unemployed American to get off their ass and get a job. They have no idea what really pulling up your bootstraps are and really building yourself from the ground up. They are the Republicans, the hard core right wingers, the cold hearted, profit driven snobs.
Vote !!!!!! Get rid of these cold hearted, ruthless Republicans.
My husband and I came from lower middle income backgrounds. I paid my way through college entirely. I've been living on my own since I turned 19. My husband paid about 3/4 of his way through college through a variety of student loans and work study, his parents were able to help him out some, but the day he graduated, that financial support ended.

We have worked our butts off, there were no silver spoons, and we are now solidly upper middle/lower upper earners. It came through our own hard work and perserverence. We both work f/t as well as do freelance work on the side to maintain our income level and standard of living. In other words, we work our butts off.

We are not Republican, although we are fiscally conservative. We balance our own household budget and have to make choices, and expect the government to do so as well. We can't always get everything we want, and we can't save the world.

Call us what you will, but we feel it has become way too easy to get a handout, people have become way too entitled, and yes, a lot of people need a kick in the ass to put their brains back into their head. People who get the EIC and spend it on a vacation instead of paying their bills or heaven forbid, saving it for an emergency. People who are long term unemployed with no end in sight or are already receiving various forms of public assistance (WIC, Section 8, daycare assistance, etc.) having yet another kid and expecting the rest of us to pay for it. There are tons of people like that out there, and frankly I'm sick and tired of supporting the poor choices they've made. Poor choices should have consequences on the one that makes them, not on the rest of us.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Don't you ever get tired of making the same posts, Weekend Traveler?

Obviously not. I would imagine that whatever spare time he/she has is taken up with updating a computer database designed solely to list and categorize a plethora of questions on all sorts of subjects designed to lure in responses which in turn provide an ego feast ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment