Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
We hadn't even considered taking things off his resume! What an idea! I guess I don't fully get why an employer would rather hire someone without extra education or experience for a low paying job when they have people with college degrees and experience applying--it seems as if these people will work harder and have more to bring to the table most of the time.
Here's the deal. All the extras hurt you because they don't want or need what you have to bring to the table. They want labor who will show up on time and do what they are told to do. PERIOD.

If you are too educated, there are two(and maybe more) reasons why they don't want to hire you. Both these reasons are valid.

1) They know you will still be applying for 'real jobs' and if you get one, you will be gone in a New York Second. All the time and effort training you will be wasted and they will have to look for someone else. No one likes to be forced to start over.

2) They are worried about keeping their own jobs. Remember, they had to work HARD to get where they are and into a management position. They had to kiss a LOT of butt. Someone at Corporate may notice that you have a degree in merchandising and the next promotion may go to you.....not them. No one wants to hire someone they can't compete with. No one likes to be forced to start over.

Makes sense, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 PM

299 posts, read 903,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Here's the deal. All the extras hurt you because they don't want or need what you have to bring to the table. They want labor who will show up on time and do what they are told to do. PERIOD.

If you are too educated, there are two(and maybe more) reasons why they don't want to hire you. Both these reasons are valid.

1) They know you will still be applying for 'real jobs' and if you get one, you will be gone in a New York Second. All the time and effort training you will be wasted and they will have to look for someone else. No one likes to be forced to start over.

2) They are worried about keeping their own jobs. Remember, they had to work HARD to get where they are and into a management position. They had to kiss a LOT of butt. Someone at Corporate may notice that you have a degree in merchandising and the next promotion may go to you.....not them. No one wants to hire someone they can't compete with. No one likes to be forced to start over.

Makes sense, doesn't it?
I've been trying to get this point across to people when I tell them about how hard my job search has been, but nobody seems to be buying in.

In the town where I live there are about 100,000 people. According to the data on this site, only 15% of our residents have college degrees, which means that there are a lot of people running businesses that only have high school diplomas. Why would they want to hire someone who might take over their job within 6 months?

Your first point is dead on. I might have to take a job flipping burgers or bagging groceries, but as soon as I graduate next May and get offered a better job, I'm gone.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
I've been trying to get this point across to people when I tell them about how hard my job search has been, but nobody seems to be buying in.

In the town where I live there are about 100,000 people. According to the data on this site, only 15% of our residents have college degrees, which means that there are a lot of people running businesses that only have high school diplomas. Why would they want to hire someone who might take over their job within 6 months?

Your first point is dead on. I might have to take a job flipping burgers or bagging groceries, but as soon as I graduate next May and get offered a better job, I'm gone.
I didn't understand this either until the economy forced me to live it for myself. I think most of the people who still have the comfy workplace they call home find it impossible to understand how things have changed.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
I didn't understand this either until the economy forced me to live it for myself. I think most of the people who still have the comfy workplace they call home find it impossible to understand how things have changed.
Yellowsnow, after you dumbed down your CV how did you manage to deal with your many years of professional experience in the workplace during the job interview stage?

I think that's the real killer for most of the overqualified--how do you massage 20+ years of white-collar experience to look like something less than what it is?

How do you get past a background check that will reveal your true professional background?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 PM

115 posts, read 267,214 times
Default I feel ya..

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
At the same time, many companies ARE taking experienced workers and pushing out truly entry level workers. I have applied for over 400 jobs in the past few months preparing from my graduation from college that were truly foot in the door entry level jobs- and quite a few of them went to people with 10 years in the field. I can understand it, but true entry level people are being forced out of the market.

I totally felt that for a whole year from '08 to '09. Hears the quick breakdown version; finished my 2 year degree '08-> Layed off week before Christmas -> sending resumes and cover letters -> 2 weeks later receive umployment -> 6 months pass -> Getting desparate -> Oh I have an idea, why not, send resumes to any and every job in the paper, internet, etc -> Oh no calls -> 11 month "09 - I have done had it with this crap -> Send nothing for Nov -> Middle of Dec '09, I hear a small voice(Ha, Ha) -> Tech position for small local start-up tech company -> Voice in head:Why should I apply, haven't had any favor so far -> Forget it, I'll send my resume -> Interview 1(HR), Interview 2(Hiring Manager, Interview 3(CIO)- > Bingo: Your hired..(Can you start in January '10).

But that was my experience after finishing a 2 year Network Systems Administration degree in a nutshell and in 2 years I will be 40. So if your young and having trouble with a degree and job. Trust us older katz are too with less degree than a Bachelor's or Masters. A 2 years degree is just like a High School diploma, it means nothing. And truss it is jacked up when you want to go to school up to a Master's and you run out of money. So keep ya head up..

Old 05-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Yellowsnow, after you dumbed down your CV how did you manage to deal with your many years of professional experience in the workplace during the job interview stage?

I think that's the real killer for most of the overqualified--how do you massage 20+ years of white-collar experience to look like something less than what it is?

How do you get past a background check that will reveal your true professional background?
It's easy. And yes, I got by a background check.

I listed my high school diploma and my real jobs as well. I just chose to say sales and customer service rather than Network Engineer, Marketing, and Designer. I didn't mention professional societies, awards, technical training, or degrees. I also didn't mention things related to meeting sales quotas in the millions of dollars per year or things like President's Club, etc.

Everything on the resume is true and verifiable. And what I did CAN be called sales and customer service. I just chose how to word things and what skills to emphasize. My old employers are all very large Fortune 100 type companies and all they can say legally is my dates of employment. So that checks out too.

My resume is my marketing tool. MINE. It is not a legal deposition. I design and redesign my resume to get the job I want. Everything on the document is true and verifiable. Yes, it is dumbed down doublespeak. But where do you think I acquired those skills? It wasn't in a classroom. Corporate America taught me well.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:27 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
It's easy. And yes, I got by a background check.

I listed my high school diploma and my real jobs as well. I just chose to say sales and customer service rather than Network Engineer, Marketing, and Designer. I didn't mention professional societies, awards, technical training, or degrees. I also didn't mention things related to meeting sales quotas in the millions of dollars per year or things like President's Club, etc.

Everything on the resume is true and verifiable. And what I did CAN be called sales and customer service. I just chose how to word things and what skills to emphasize. My old employers are all very large Fortune 100 type companies and all they can say legally is my dates of employment. So that checks out too.

My resume is my marketing tool. MINE. It is not a legal deposition. I design and redesign my resume to get the job I want. Everything on the document is true and verifiable. Yes, it is dumbed down doublespeak. But where do you think I acquired those skills? It wasn't in a classroom. Corporate America taught me well.

Rep points for you!!!

Another extremely valuable post from you. This is what I call "boxing clever" and is the kind of practical information many here will benefit from.

Thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment