Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:53 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times

Advertisements

Dunno about what field the company is in, but any website could "look legit." If you can't find anything about anything for the company besides a professional website, I imagine that would be a red flag. I mean, even a one-person business should show up in something besides one site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:38 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Dunno about what field the company is in, but any website could "look legit." If you can't find anything about anything for the company besides a professional website, I imagine that would be a red flag. I mean, even a one-person business should show up in something besides one site.

Yea, you are right. I went back to the email. The chick typoed the link...like you don't want people to go to the website.

www.city-data.com/fourm Just like that.

I'm not going to the interview, I have a feeling it will be sales job which I do not want especially in that field.

Another Update:

My manager said he called about the interview, the hiring managers manager was out of town and just came back today. So, I should have an answer soon! My manager doesn't know the manager who I had the interview with but spoke with his manager! Probably better...right>?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,178 times
It's rough, I was in the exact same boat a couple years ago. Hated my job, but knew it would be very, very tough to find something in this economy. I reached a point where I hated going in everyday, it was a toxic environment, and saw my personal life and health getting worse every week.

Eventually I just decided to leave, although I had nothing else lined up. Certain aunts/uncles/former friends repeatedly told me how "stupid" I was for leaving my job without another one lined up and my girlfriend at the time left me once I wasn't bringing home the big paycheck anymore.

After hitting the job search hard, I landed another job in a different industry and different state in a 2 months. Great coworkers, great compensation and overall just so much better. But the most important thing is that I am happy. Looking back, leaving my job was the best thing I ever did, I only regret not leaving my old job sooner.

Yes, the economy is rough and finding a job is not easy. But if you really hate your job to the point where you get a sick feeling going into work everyday, quitting may be the best strategy. It definitely was for me. Be prepared to catch a lot of flak for it in the process though.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I know alot of people here are unemployed and are looking for work so I may get alot of heat for this thread but I can't stand my job. I feel like I am stuck here. I have been working here for 3 years now. I have been looking for a different job for 18 months, only 2 interviews.

I had an interview with different part of the company I work for on 4/30. They said they would call me by the end of the following week 5/7...no call yet. I called the manager yesterday at 3pm, left a message. I've pretty much accepted I didn't get the position. That was really the only way out of my position without leaving the company. I work for a very well known strong company but the department I work in causes alot of stress and I'm over it.

I seriously wish I'd get laid off but there is no way they are going to lay off people. With the economy so bad, I know there are so many people who would want my job but that really isn't helping my damn near depression when I wake up during the week. It doesn't help my hour + long commute each way. I know alot of people are doing worse than me but I feel so damn stuck here. I've thought about quitting but that is not a smart option at all so...I'm stuck working a job I hate.

Sigh. Anyone else in the same position?

Wishing you were laid off explains why you cant find another job. It probably has been evident that you don't like your current job when you went on those interviews.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Update

I got that job! Woo!!!

The pay cut isn't neary as high as they stated in the interview, its only 2.5k less. Considering I get a company vehicle, that totally makes it worth the cut. I was driving 400 miles a WEEK to work. Adding up the miles on my car + gas, easily $50 a week. Also, I sold my car last month and have been driving around in a rental. Was planning on buying a new car if I didn't get this job but since I did, I don't have to buy a new car for a good while now. Just use my dads or get into a weekend rental for weekends.

5/29 marks 3 years I've been in this position and I've been hating it for the last 30 months. Best news I've had in a long long time. I'll be starting the other position probably in 3 weeks...can't wait. Get the F out of the office!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM

244 posts, read 814,652 times
Quote:
Update

I got that job! Woo!!!

The pay cut isn't neary as high as they stated in the interview, its only 2.5k less. Considering I get a company vehicle, that totally makes it worth the cut. I was driving 400 miles a WEEK to work. Adding up the miles on my car + gas, easily $50 a week. Also, I sold my car last month and have been driving around in a rental. Was planning on buying a new car if I didn't get this job but since I did, I don't have to buy a new car for a good while now. Just use my dads or get into a weekend rental for weekends.

5/29 marks 3 years I've been in this position and I've been hating it for the last 30 months. Best news I've had in a long long time. I'll be starting the other position probably in 3 weeks...can't wait. Get the F out of the office!!!

Congratulations!

Old 05-20-2010, 01:54 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
A job is a job. It isn't your life, it funds your life and lets you enjoy your time off. I've had jobs I hate and that's how I had to compartmentalize to survive.

You know times are hard but would it really be better to be delinquent on all your bills, unemployed with no prospects, and living on mac and cheese? No cable, internet, or cellphone? Would you be happy then?

Change jobs if you wish but find a new one before you leave the old one!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Quote:
Update

I got that job! Woo!!!

Congratulations. Now maybe you'll shut up about about hating work.
Be glad you have a job, dang it. But don't rub it into the faces of the under/unemployed folks you know, or even on this board.

If I sound bitter, today I am. Nothing personal.

Time to get out of this negative mindset. Apologies to all ...

Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Congratulations. Now maybe you'll shut up about about hating work.
Be glad you have a job, dang it. But don't rub it into the faces of the under/unemployed folks you know, or even on this board.

If I sound bitter, today I am. Nothing personal.

Time to get out of this negative mindset. Apologies to all ...

No worries man. My ex-gf (still trying to work things out) is underemployed and is really starting to feel it financially. Its a big reason why we can't work things out between us at the moment.

My point is, I tried for a long long time and finally found something else. I'm hoping people do not need to wait as long as I did...it was not fun.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Quote:
No worries man. My ex-gf (still trying to work things out) is underemployed and is really starting to feel it financially. Its a big reason why we can't work things out between us at the moment.

My point is, I tried for a long long time and finally found something else. I'm hoping people do not need to wait as long as I did...it was not fun.
I haven't waited as long as some, and I'm frustrated already. Can only imagine ... I don't like patience; it's almost like a cuss word.
However, apparently patience (darn it) and Definitely tenacity is required to deal with this mess, and come out of it winning.

Congratulations again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment