Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times

Advertisements

I know alot of people here are unemployed and are looking for work so I may get alot of heat for this thread but I can't stand my job. I feel like I am stuck here. I have been working here for 3 years now. I have been looking for a different job for 18 months, only 2 interviews.

I had an interview with different part of the company I work for on 4/30. They said they would call me by the end of the following week 5/7...no call yet. I called the manager yesterday at 3pm, left a message. I've pretty much accepted I didn't get the position. That was really the only way out of my position without leaving the company. I work for a very well known strong company but the department I work in causes alot of stress and I'm over it.

I seriously wish I'd get laid off but there is no way they are going to lay off people. With the economy so bad, I know there are so many people who would want my job but that really isn't helping my damn near depression when I wake up during the week. It doesn't help my hour + long commute each way. I know alot of people are doing worse than me but I feel so damn stuck here. I've thought about quitting but that is not a smart option at all so...I'm stuck working a job I hate.

Sigh. Anyone else in the same position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Just keep in mind that it's easier to find a job while you still have a job.

Is there any way to "fix" the job rather than replace it, or is the stress unavoidably part of it?

I had an oilfield job that involved 24 hour call, and frequently working 20 to 40 hours straight when I first got out of college - money was way better than anything else I could have got, but I hated the job, I worked it about a year, one month at a time. In hindsight, I probably could have got a transfer to offshore (better conditions actually, but home less) but was too dumb to ask for it.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,707 times
my husband is in your same predicament--it's gotten to the point that I think he has depression over it. He constantly makes comments about how he wishes he would fall asleep at the wheel on the way home or something rather than be stuck working there forever. The hard thing is that he makes really good money and cannot find something else (he's willing to work for $10 shoveling manure all day if he could get out of this job)--but it seems impossible.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Yeah i hear ya , i worked 32 years at a job i hated but the money and benefits were so good i never left, i did take a couple of one year
"leave of absences " to try other jobs but they didnt work out. Well now its over as i'm retired and have excellent pension and residual benefits. and i find myself actually missing the social dynamics of the workplace (Not the work).

Old 05-11-2010, 01:50 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Dub D. I've been there on a couple of instances. I left the company that I'm at now for a job in inside sales at a merchant services company that my younger brother worked at. I wasn't really working, but everything that he told me really enticed me, and I told him that considering the company was up street from where I was currently working that the interview would have to be after hours. So, they agreed, and I went to the interview, and the guy that interviewed me was to be my immediate boss. I got the job, and went through training and was totally pumped. The person who trained me was also the guy that interviewed me. After that week of training that guy quit on Monday. So 2 weeks later a new manager was hired. She was an ex-quality control manager at a bank, and with her it was never what you did right but what you did wrong. She was constantly on my a** and on the a**es of the seasoned veterans. I struggled due to the lack of support from her as a sales manager that she was supposed to give, as was standard procedure. I started to get into trouble, and the more I was pushed the more miserable I became, and the less productive I became. I am hard working and I have a good work ethic, but I cannot and will not work for someone who is a complete and utter moron, where nothing is ever good enough. Needless to say, I called my old boss, and I was able to come back to where I am now. Of course I had to start over, but I'm much happier, and that is what matters. Some times the money potential isn't worth the emotional stress and the other BS! I still kick myself for leaving where I was, and when I did, I felt like something in the back of my mind kept telling me not to do it. Good luck, and keep looking. It sucks when you're miserable at your job.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:09 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
I'm in that same boat..................

Old 05-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Is there any way to "fix" the job rather than replace it, or is the stress unavoidably part of it?
Nope, its apart of it. In fact, I deal with a lower amount compared to the rest and the higher up the ladder you go...the more stress you get. I have zero desire to go up the ladder because of this and why I want to use my experience to switch departments.

I left a message on the managers line yesterday. I've been calling today blocking my # to see if hes in the office since his voicemail is still dated yesterday. Just called, he answered so he should have checked his voicemail in the last 24 hours. I just can't believe they wouldn't even dignify me a callback since we work for the same company.

I'm just really bummed out that I didn't get that position. I currently sit behind a desk all day which I hate and that position is out and about. In fact, I'm probably overqualified and it would have been a pay decrease but it came with a company car and I drive 40 miles each way to work now...pretty much break even considering the cost of the car and gas. June 1 makes the 3 years...sigh, I seriously can't believe I'm still at the same f'n desk but thanks to the economy...its stuck.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,580 times
i do tech support over the phone. staff is half of what it used to be and we've grown customer wise. im doing 3 times the work i was doing 2 years ago, customers are always rude because we are overworked, have wait times to get through now and arent always the nicest back.

i drive up the building everyday, stare at it for 15 minutes not wanting to go in and eventually force myself to. i work for one of hte largest companies in the world but anytime ive tried to move up ive always been told i was a good 2nd candidate. i bust my ass more then anyone else in my dept

pay is alright and my job is tied in with healthcare so its a secure check. id make a lateral move letting someone fling horse **** at me all day if i could at this point. nothign else out there !

Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I was listening to this job podcast and the man said (he's an employment expert) that often you will NOT get a transfer internally because your manager thinks you should stay in his or her dept.

Often you HAVE to leave to get something else.

I had a CS job (customer service) that I pretty much hated but thankfully I got pregnant with my son and I left when I was 5 months pregnant. I had to force myself to go inside sometimes. I know about how customers on the phone can be abusive because of long wait times.

Good luck to you in finding something new.

Maybe you need to find something out of work time you love and can make that into a sideline.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I was listening to this job podcast and the man said (he's an employment expert) that often you will NOT get a transfer internally because your manager thinks you should stay in his or her dept.
Yea I can see that. However, my manager called the other managers manager to give a good word about me since he knew her. He doesn't know the manager I interviewed with but his higher up.

I work in auto insurance claims. The pay is good especially for these times and my age but its such a drain. The last two weeks have been awful and today was one of the worst days I've had in the last year. I deal with alot of pain the ass people and don't get to help people as much as you'd think. I get into alot of arguments with people. It sucks because people don't understand their policies very much and the sales agents don't tell them about everything aka take advantage of them so I have to inform them we can't do xyz often times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment