Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM

37 posts, read 76,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk 08755 View Post
I beg to differ. A veteran has not only served his/her country, they know how to function under fire, has values, and can probably budget & prioritize a hell of a lot better than a recent college grad.

I'd choose someone who has been part of a cohesive unit, working under fire in a foreign country, over a kid who's biggest dilemma in the past for years was to get to class on time the day after drinking 2 yards of beer and a bottle of Jack Daniels.
I agree with this, and I think many managers highly value veterans and are more likely to hire them, all else being equal. The issue, though, isn't whether the benefits of being a veteran are recognized, it's whether the current process for the initial screening is overly preferential to veterans.

My take? Yes, but only slightly. Everything else being equal, I'd say give the preference to the vet. But it's not uncommon to hear stories of only people getting initial evaluation scores of 102 and higher or 105 and higher making it past the initial screening - and you can't break 100 if you're not a vet. No matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment