Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 PM

163 posts, read 427,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Why would free trade agreements wreck the economy? Trade usually improves the standard of living of the market participants involved.
This is true that long term, free trade is beneficial to all countries as a whole.

Unfortunately there are casualties. American workers are those casualties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:48 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
If you have a problem with the wars, (I would like to see us out of there too) you need to talk to Obama and Pelosi; that is their department now.
I do not have a problem with unemployment insurance, you pay into it and it is there for you when you when you need it. That being said when people have been on it for 2 years it is no longer unemployment, it is welfare. I disagree that the people who have been on unemployment 2 years have done all they can to support themselves. The job market just does not reflect that. I live in California with one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, and yet you still cannot find anyone willing work for less than $20hr. If you do find someone to work for less than that, they are completely worthless. Extended unemployment such as the proposed "tier 5" is only postponing the inevitable at a huge cost to the taxpayers. This country is running up debt at a rate that will cause default in the not too distant future if we continue spending at present levels. I have sympathy for the unemployed but I am not willing to stand by and let them drag the rest of the country down with them. Some people believe the government is and endless source of free money. It is not. All the money spent by government has to be repaid by someone at sometime. That someone is the taxpayers and the sometime will be sooner than you think. Endless give away social programs and budget deficits are the blueprint for turning a 1st world country into a 3rd world country in just a few decades.
Do you really think there are 7 million long term unemployed who don't want to work??? Give me a break. Open your eyes.
Denny also made good points about after WE get cut off, Foreclosures and on and on and you don't think this is going to also affect you? I love how the employed also think we love living on half of what we use to make and we really cant make all our bills anymore and its great staying home for 2 years because we have no money.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
While I blame Obama for continuing the wars, I blame Bush for putting us there in the first place. And it doesn't help that you have people like McCain and his fellow Republicans who say that withdrawing would be tantamount to admitting defeat.
The democrats have control of government as was proven by the health care bill being shoved down our throats. If the wars are continuing the democrats are responsible.

Quote:
And your concerns about the debt are laughable. If you were really worried about the debt driving this country into the ground, you would be directing your outrage to far more ridiculous examples of government waste. I mentioned the war on terror. How about the subsidies we give to corn growers when we already have 6 times the amount of corn we need? How about the subsidies that go to the oil companies even though they're enjoying record profits and now trying to wiggle out of paying for an oil spill they created? How about all the money we give the military? Do we really need one more aircraft carrier, submarine or Harrier jet? Compared to those examples, what we spend on unemployment is pocket change.
I agree that all the examples you gave with the exception of military spending is wasted.
However the topic of this discussion is not those topics, it is continually extending unemployment welfare to the tune of $140 billion dollars (which you seem to think is pocket change) a year. That does not include the costs of another 40 million people collecting food stamps at another $70 billion.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There are winners and losers in free trade. The winners have been consumers who have access to more goods at cheaper prices and businesses who can hire cheaper workers in other countries. The losers have been the American workers.
It has more to do with public policy decisions than free trade. There is nothing preventing our elected representatives to government from solving poverty while ensuring full employment of resources in the market for labor.

The rest can be attributed to normal friction in markets reacquiring a new equilibrium.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
This is true that long term, free trade is beneficial to all countries as a whole.

Unfortunately there are casualties. American workers are those casualties
Corporate welfare has paid corporate welfare bonuses. Why is it so difficult to simply pay unemployment compensation to labor market participants who are unemployed in any at-will employment state?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I some point the maney poaid in runs out in the funding like everythong else. Its not like its invested and the government poys interest and dividends.i am in favor of it but realise that it can't go o forever and normally would have runout long ago. I had hoped that some of the stimulus would ahve been spent here really as it done nohting elsewhere.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM

It depends on how market friendly the public policy scheme is. In principle, a person should be able to have recourse to unemployment compensation on the same at-will basis as employment, in any at-will employment state.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:27 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Do you really think there are 7 million long term unemployed who don't want to work??? Give me a break. Open your eyes.
Denny also made good points about after WE get cut off, Foreclosures and on and on and you don't think this is going to also affect you? I love how the employed also think we love living on half of what we use to make and we really cant make all our bills anymore and its great staying home for 2 years because we have no money.
What I think is that many of those 7 million are not doing what it takes. If you can not make it in this economy, just wait until you see what is coming down the road. People act as if a job is an entitlement. When they do have one, most do as little as possible to keep it. I am frustrated daily by slackers who are unwilling to put any effort into their jobs. People in service related industries act as if they are doing customers a favor by doing their jobs incompetently. On one of my trips to Asia I sat next to a lady who had immigrated to the US from China. She related to me how she and her husband had arrived in the US with nothing. They both got jobs at Jack in the Box, they worked so hard they were promoted to managers in 3 months. She said they could not believe their good fortune; they could actually afford to eat a chicken every day! She said in China they could only afford to eat meat a few times a year. While they were working full time at Jack in the Box, they were going to school to get their real estate licenses and to improve their English. Within a year they were both working in real estate and after 5 years of hard work and saving they were able to become brokers and own their own real estate office. She could not understand why people who lived in the US did not take full advantage of all the opportunity the country allowed. The success she enjoyed in the US was not even imaginable in China.
The opportunities are out there for the people who are willing to get off their fat butts and go after them. Life is a competition, the winners will win, and the slackers will whine about how unfair life has been to them and demand more unemployment and entitlements.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What I think is that many of those 7 million are not doing what it takes. If you can not make it in this economy, just wait until you see what is coming down the road. People act as if a job is an entitlement. When they do have one, most do as little as possible to keep it. I am frustrated daily by slackers who are unwilling to put any effort into their jobs. People in service related industries act as if they are doing customers a favor by doing their jobs incompetently. On one of my trips to Asia I sat next to a lady who had immigrated to the US from China. She related to me how she and her husband had arrived in the US with nothing. They both got jobs at Jack in the Box, they worked so hard they were promoted to managers in 3 months. She said they could not believe their good fortune; they could actually afford to eat a chicken every day! She said in China they could only afford to eat meat a few times a year. While they were working full time at Jack in the Box, they were going to school to get their real estate licenses and to improve their English. Within a year they were both working in real estate and after 5 years of hard work and saving they were able to become brokers and own their own real estate office. She could not understand why people who lived in the US did not take full advantage of all the opportunity the country allowed. The success she enjoyed in the US was not even imaginable in China.
The opportunities are out there for the people who are willing to get off their fat butts and go after them. Life is a competition, the winners will win, and the slackers will whine about how unfair life has been to them and demand more unemployment and entitlements.
I always love the one in a million feel good stories about how easy it is to do all this. The reality of your story is most that try this fail. So no in the big picture this scenario doesn't work. You are also talking of a different time in life as well. You think right now it would be just as easy? No one is spending money, Just look at today's retail report. I'm sorry but your out of touch with reality in a big way.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
What makes you think they are different groups? The employed today will be the unemployed/under-employed tomorrow. We are all in this sinking ship together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment