Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times

Advertisements

Every single SO I have had has made less than me. In some cases it has been an issue....for him, not for me. IN at least a couple of cases it may have contributed to our breakup because he somehow felt threatened. Again, nothing I felt, but some how some men do take it to be an attack on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:56 AM

68 posts, read 206,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Every single SO I have had has made less than me. In some cases it has been an issue....for him, not for me. IN at least a couple of cases it may have contributed to our breakup because he somehow felt threatened. Again, nothing I felt, but some how some men do take it to be an attack on them.

That's terrible but true for too many couples. I hate the excuse that he feels emasculated if his female partner earns more. Partners should support each other without keeping a financial scorecard over each others heads.

I make more than my boyfriend, and so far no problems in over 3 years. That's how I hope and assume it will stay.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:03 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird2020 View Post
That's terrible but true for too many couples. I hate the excuse that he feels emasculated if his female partner earns more. Partners should support each other without keeping a financial scorecard over each others heads.

I make more than my boyfriend, and so far no problems in over 3 years. That's how I hope and assume it will stay.

I dont think the feeling of emasuclation is an excuse-- it is just how some guys feel.

I have a friend who has had a VERY hard time finding a new partner. Her husband was the one that had an affair on her. So since then her dating world has been pretty limited in scope. She is a very aggressive and ambitious woman. She has been in the C level suite-- and that usually sends guys running for the hills. She doesn't even bring it up and tries to avoid the conversation when dating.

The longest relationship she had was with a guy who was also an executive-- their only problem then was the travel that both did was not conducive to having a normal relationship.

As for what some others have said-- I don't want to be the breadwinner. But I am also not the type that wants him to be the breadwinner either. I would be happy if we made within the same type of salary band.

I *dont* think I could be a professional in the corporate world making almost 6 figures and live with an artist spouse or someone who makes a significant amount less than me. I don't think I would be happy with that situation. To me I want to have to be with a person that shares the same kind of goals, lifestyle desires, etc. Not to say the artist doesn't but I am also the type that I would never defer to an art career unless I was making a solid income-- so it is the difference between left brain/ right brain type of folks probably more honestly than anything financial.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:06 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
I (24 year old guy) am not married, but I have no idea why this would be a big deal.

It is 2010, not 1950. As long as the couple's collective income is enough to live on and both people are proud of what each of them does for a living, who cares?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
I wish mine did. I'd love to be out on the links all day.

But, she'd rather stay home with the kid....

Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,085 times
I wish my wife made more money than me. She does make good money however. I reguarly tease her about taking a pay cut when her salary starts creaping towards mine But I woulnd't care if she surpassed me. She certainly works harder! I do feel bad that she has to work. It does bother me that she can't be a stay at home mom. But she is too good at spending both of our salaries!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
I make more than my wife, but she does make a pretty good living. She has made more than some of her ex's did, and apparently it caused a strain.

I would be happy if she made more than me. Why would I stand in the way of her success?

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
My lady happens to make more than me but then she's been in her particular career longer than I have in my own. While I don't think I would want to be a "househusband" for the long-term, as long as I feel like I'm making a decent financial contribution to the household then I feel okay.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:49 PM

12 posts, read 26,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I dont think the feeling of emasuclation is an excuse-- it is just how some guys feel.
Sounds like maybe you rubbed it in or brought it up so much it started to bother him. Just the way you say it, and then state that it bothers you that you would make so much more than him.

My wife makes 60k+ more than me. As I have not found a job since I graduated college and the few freelance project I've done haven't netted much income.

That said, when I DO get a job it will be entry level and probably 30-35k a year, so she will still make more than me. She has been nothing but supportive and doesn't nag me about making less, or treat me or my spending as lesser than hers. I don't imagine it will change when I'm working and making less.

Last edited by Biermensch; 05-20-2010 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,663 times
Personally I wouldn't care, more money is more money regardless of who brings in the most, I would just look at the total amount, not who makes more per day, per week, per month,etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment