Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM

83 posts, read 176,802 times

Advertisements

Tattoos have nothing to do with how someone will/does perform in the workplace.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:39 PM

18,608 posts, read 33,176,623 times
Of course they don't. But they do appear if they are in a visible area, and many people do object to them (including hiring people, managers, and customers)
I got a small tattoo on my left forearm 30 years ago (before it was cool!) and made sure I got it where I could see it (since I love the symbol) and where I could cover it with a sleeve or bandaid for job interviews or any such.
When I see people with tons of 'em, they look like they've been beaten with a baseball bat. It's just ugly. Now, that's not my business unless that person is going to represent me or mine in some way- then it's my business.
As for hiring someone who won't be seeing clients or customers who looks like he or she has been beaten by a baseball bat, qualifications should certainly be the consideration. But I think that beaten appearance is similar to wearing a dirty shirt to an interview, and you can't take it off.
To be honest, when I see tons of tats, I largely think that the person follows trends and doesn't think for him/herself, just like someone in the 1960s who lived or died by long hair on men. Just a follower being "unique," but it's pretty indelible with tattoos.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,220,382 times
Not having a tattoo now = cool & trendy. Wow, who knew? lol

Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,130,147 times
I have 14 tattoos - 2 are somewhat visiable and 1 partially is. By that I mean I have a vine of flowers around one wrist so the top part for sure is visible. The underside of my wrist is not visible unless I turn my hands palm up so you can't see the rest of that tattoo, or the one I have on my other wrist.

I also have a tattoo on one foot. Most shoes I wear cover it. The ones that show it are my non-work shoes.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,471,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post
Neither would a giant Black Power fist in magic marker on your forehead, but it doesn't mean I have to hire that person.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,251,547 times
People can perform very well with tattoos on them, but that's not the point here. It's when they are visable to customers and not every customer likes seeing tattoos. Working at biker bar, tattoo parlor or running an amusement ride for a company is one thing, but other customer or client related jobs...
"I don't think so!!" I've been to Job Fairs and seen people wearing shorts and a t-shirt showing their tattoos all over the place.......and they really exspect to have a company call them? And, people who have tattoos on their neck at the workplace.......don't even go there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post

Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
People can perform very well with tattoos on them, but that's not the point here. It's when they are visable to customers and not every customer likes seeing tattoos. Working at biker bar, tattoo parlor or running an amusement ride for a company is one thing, but other customer or client related jobs...
"I don't think so!!" I've been to Job Fairs and seen people wearing shorts and a t-shirt showing their tattoos all over the place.......and they really exspect to have a company call them? And, people who have tattoos on their neck at the workplace.......don't even go there!
I work with multi million dollar jet planes and my clients are very well known music/moviestars and executives for many companies.

I've had nothing but compliments regarding my tattoos. Of course, they're well done and I take ridiculously good care of them. You wouldn't believe how many CEOs, VPs and other executives have tattoos

I'm usually the 'token' tattooed/crazy person in groups of suits and guess who is always remembered while my coworkers aren't?

And you shouldn't be wearing shorts and a tshirt to a job fair regardless of how many tattoos you have.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Not having a tattoo now = cool & trendy. Wow, who knew? lol
Trust me, it's not

Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,302,261 times
Tattoos = "Look at me, I need constant attention!"

YouTube - south park- Harley Cough

Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Tattoos = "Look at me, I need constant attention!"

YouTube - south park- Harley Cough
The people I know who have tattoos don't require, need or want constant attention.... Most have families, jobs, own businesses etc. just like any other normal person except they like body art.

It seems that there is this huge attitude towards people who dare to stray from what is perceived as 'normal' in society. Ya know, the only difference between tattooed and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care if you have tattoos or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.