Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Again - I don't care what someone else does. I was just giving my opinion. This IS a public board. If you don't like my opinion, just ignore it! What is difficult about that?

I don't rely on others for help. History has taught me relying on others leads to disappointment. I don't want empathy from someone else. Maybe that will come back and bite me one day, but so far it hasn't.

Again - I never asked you to agree with me, I just gave you my opinion. I know I think differently than many people, and it has actually led to a good deal of personal success. Again - it is how I do things, not how I think every single person should do everything. If you disagree with it, just don't reply to what I say.
also, always remember, NO EMPLOYEE is indispensible, you can have a job one day and not the next, for various reasons.
My days of giving a company 100% are so over.............

I am officially done here. I can see this is one of those Company oriented people, where the sun rises and sets on the job....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
also, always remember, NO EMPLOYEE is indispensible, you can have a job one day and not the next, for various reasons.
My days of giving a company 100% are so over.............

I am officially done here. I can see this is one of those Company oriented people, where the sun rises and sets on the job....
lol...My job is more than just a paycheck to me. I enjoy actually contributing to society.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
This is very true. At my last job I was perhaps the most indispensible employee, but when the company was sold, my job (as I knew it) was gone. I was kept on the take care of loose ends for several months after the sale was complete, but there were only so many loose ends to take care of and eventually I was laid off.

I was offerend my choice of two jobs by the company that bought us, but both required a relo which I wasn't willing to do, so that was the end of it.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was offerend my choice of two jobs by the company that bought us, but both required a relo which I wasn't willing to do, so that was the end of it.
That's too bad, because you ended up relocating from New York to Florida anyways, right? If we could only see what the future holds.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
That's too bad, because you ended up relocating from New York to Florida anyways, right? If we could only see what the future holds.
I was already in Florida, I would have had to move to either Atlanta or Indianapolis. I haven't lived in New York for over 15 years now.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I was already in Florida, I would have had to move to either Atlanta or Indianapolis. I haven't lived in New York for over 15 years now.
Oh, my bad. Yuck to those other locations, I don't blame you for not wanting to move.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
How about the nurse and/or doctor that takes care of you when you are sick? Does relying on them lead to disappointment? Did your mom ever make you chicken noodle soup when you had the flu? Was that disappointing?
Did relying on your parents for shelter and food as a child lead to you being disappointed? When you graduated from high school, did you gracefully decline money from your friends and relatives? How about relying on your mentors at work for insight and wisdom...did that leave you disappointed? Have you ever had someone give you a reference or write you a letter of recommendation? How'd that turn out for you?

It may...or may not. Right now, you're young and you have your health. Thus, you are very self-reliant. On occassion, you should think outside that box and imagine if you were not. Base your conclusion off that and see if it changes your attitude. You cannot predict your fate, therefore it is not wise to embrace a mentality that assumes that you have it all figured out.

You bring up a good point here. It's a very good thing that every person does not think as you do. If they did, there would be no private charity, there'd likely be an extreme shortage of doctors, nurses, vets, firemen, police men, etc. (since many people enter these professions with the intention of helping others), and we'd probably be in a state of anarchy. It would truly be a dog-eat-dog world. But since selfishness is a virtue (as defined by Ayn Rand), why not have it this way?

I'll post this again, since it seems to have been skimmed over.

Today's College Students Lack Empathy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100528/sc_livescience/todayscollegestudentslackempathy - broken link)

I am not sure you understand what I am saying. I give to charity very regularly, I enjoy helping others, I just, however do not rely on others for what I need. I am fortunate enough to be able to provide for myself, and to provide enough to give a portion of what I make back to my community. Not everyone is that fortunate.

Just because I don't want to rely on others for my daily life does not mean I don't want to contribute to society. I have the means of providing for myself, others aren't as fortunate. Again - I am saying what works for me, not a catch-all philosophy for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment