Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Geez, and we wonder why stores lose so much money to shoplifters.

Shoplifting isn't just for people who want free stuff -- people steal from stores and sell the stuff on ebay. Shoplifting is their job, and it's tax-free, too!

If I ran a store, I would allow my employees to go after shoplifters, if and only if, the stealing is obvious enough to be able to testify to that under oath (like in this case, notice that no one is defending the alleged shoplifter). Think about it -- shoplifters don't sue!

My store would quickly be known in the shoplifter circles as the place NOT to steal. Go steal from Wal-Mart where they fire the employee so you can get away with it.
The only problem with that is , what if he has a huge sharp knife in his waist pants and he stabs the employee ?

I would tell my employees to let em go and if I could afford it , hire a security guard to do the chasing out of the store...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post
WHY does she deserve to be fired? Why take it that far? She wasn't hurt badly, and nothing came out of it.

Read her the riot act, go through whatever rules you have and explain them, but there is NO REASON to go as far as firing her

She obviously has learned that she will not do something like this in the future.

Just like the person who repped me for my previous post said, You are nothing but a corporate drone.
It's not about what that particular employee has or has not learned. It's what every other Walmart employee has now learned.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Wrongful termination.
Injury at the workplace.
Stress.
Just to stick it to WalMart.
Take your pick.
I see a settlement on the horizon.
This must be your opinion because you are clearly not speaking from experience. She has no grounds, whatsoever, to sue Wal-mart. She was informed, BY COMPANY POLICY,to not interfere with shoplifters. She choose to violate policy so out the door she goes. End of story. Tsk- it's ridiculous how many people don't read their handy dandy employee manuals. And I'll also bet (in good HR form), they have her signature stating that she received, read and agreed to this policy, too.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
She violated company policy in a very serious way. She put herself at risk of being injured--in fact she was injured--doing something that was a direct violation of company policy. She deserved to be fired. This was not a minor offense. Had the thief had a gun and shot her, the workers comp bills could have been in the millions over a lousy $400 computer. I'm not a Wal-Mart fan by any means, but this time I've got to agree with them.
I can't believe I'm saying this annerk, but for once I agree with you. Following company policy is crucial in this situation, as the risk of something bad happening and them being sued is too great. That's why they appoint a loss prevention agent, i.e. a security guard or only authorized personnel to handle these matters.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zherdev View Post
No she didn't. No she didn't. No she didn't. At least according to the article, all she asked was to see his receipt.

ROFL at you agreeing with the company. Your views on employees and companies are pathetic.

Why fire her anyway? Inform her of the policy and move on.
I think annerk pretty much summed it up, no need to say more on the matter

Old 05-27-2010, 09:47 PM

83 posts, read 177,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
I think annerk pretty much summed it up, no need to say more on the matter
She can sum it up anyway she likes, she and Walmart are still wrong.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Hmm

First mistake: Working for WalMart
Second mistake: Not immediately retaining a lawyer after termination.
Third mistake: Talking to the press BEFORE you retain a lawyer

Sue them...collect a settlement...move on w/ your life.
Oh yeah,,,and get out of retail...LOL
4th mistake: giving a ****.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Geez, and we wonder why stores lose so much money to shoplifters.

Shoplifting isn't just for people who want free stuff -- people steal from stores and sell the stuff on ebay. Shoplifting is their job, and it's tax-free, too!

If I ran a store, I would allow my employees to go after shoplifters, if and only if, the stealing is obvious enough to be able to testify to that under oath (like in this case, notice that no one is defending the alleged shoplifter). Think about it -- shoplifters don't sue!

My store would quickly be known in the shoplifter circles as the place NOT to steal. Go steal from Wal-Mart where they fire the employee so you can get away with it.
By the same token, what if the person HAD bought the computer and DID have a receipt and didn't stop because they were deaf? And then all of a sudden this crazy person is in their face outside and they reacted by punching because they thought they were being robbed? Talk about a lawsuit--by the innocent customer! THAT is why retailers have VERY strict policies about apprehension of shoplifters.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
By the same token, what if the person HAD bought the computer and DID have a receipt and didn't stop because they were deaf? And then all of a sudden this crazy person is in their face outside and they reacted by punching because they thought they were being robbed? Talk about a lawsuit--by the innocent customer! THAT is why retailers have VERY strict policies about apprehension of shoplifters.
That's not what happened. Enough with the hypotheticals (getting stabbed, getting sued, blah blah blah).

Old 05-28-2010, 10:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Businesses who deal in reality and face real liability issues don't get to ignore hypotheticals. They have to prepare for every reasonably conceivable contingency and implement policies to mitigate against them -- such as a "don't intervene against shoplifters without authorization" policy. If you want to be a hero, that's fine. But if you do it in a way that exposes someone else to financial losses far greater than the object being shoplifted, then expect to get fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment