Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times

Advertisements

Here's the message from our manager sent to herself and Bcc'ed (blind carbon copy) to either everyone in the department or a select few, I dunno..me included. (I am out of the office now but check in to work email and tickets periodically during the day, to stay on top of matters since they don't offer current employees refresher training, despite our requests. As such, we pretty much have to self-train and when I'm on duty, there's little/no time for that).

the directive:
--During today’s customer service meeting, you were not logged off from (our CRM ticketing application). The supervisors, myself and the CS management have all stressed the importance of this in the past. It goes without saying that you should all log off from the CRM when you are away from your workstation.
------------

Hmm, panties in a bunch, much? Apparently they have this thing where when you're away from your desk you are asked to log off. Why? After 15 minutes of inactivity, the session expires anyway, logging you off automatically. I don't see what the big deal is if you lock Windows and walk away for a few minutes. Are they afraid someone will answer tickets on someone else's behalf? Would you ask the manager why she's making a big deal of this or just ignore the directive. It's such a hassle to log in and out each time you go to the bathroom and walk around. I see this logging off requirement as a way to spy on us and see how often we do step away from our computers, just like a call center. I thought our office management was a little more lax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
Just do it. It's a directive.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM

39 posts, read 272,277 times
Would you ask the manager why she's making a big deal of this or just ignore the directive.

Neither. Just do it the way managment tells you to do it.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I wouldn't challenge the rules that are that small. Management hate that.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
This is the very same management you rail against for NOT enforcing their own policies (liked FIFO for tickets) right? So it's only the policies YOU care about that you are willing to go along with?

Just do it ffs.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Are you just trying to get fired?

Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
You have to play the game and work life will be a lot easier for you if you do the apparently meaningless little things the manager asks. Management has a reason and it could be that your manager’s boss said something to her about an open session he saw, was told about, or caused a problem somewhere and this annoyed him (or her).

Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Would you ask the manager why she's making a big deal of this or just ignore the directive.
Neither. I would follow the directive.

SHE isn't the one making a big deal of it. YOU are.

Quote:
It's such a hassle to log in and out each time you go to the bathroom and walk around.
Good grief its a few keystrokes. If you are good enough at your job it shouldn't even take one second. Hardly a hassle. And how often are you 'walking around' and going to the bathroom anyway? Especially when you are only there part-time.

Quote:
I see this logging off requirement as a way to spy on us and see how often we do step away from our computers, just like a call center. I thought our office management was a little more lax.
You're just now figuring out that your job is based on speed and the only way the employer can measure this is to monitor your computer usage??

Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
It's their rule. Just follow it.

This is one of the oldest ways in the book to spoof their productivity tracking efforts. Works well and that's why they hate it. You stay logged in all the time and it looks like you are working even if you aren't at your desk.

If a call comes in on your ACD and you miss it, no big deal as long as you are taking enough total calls to offset the one you missed. Some ACD systems count outgoing as calls too so you just call your co-workers to jack up the numbers.

Oh, and don't forget to stay in edit mode on old closed tickets. That really jacks up your numbers too.

If you get caught doing these things, it drives them nuts because they realize you know how to get around their electronic babysitting devices. The safest course of action is to just do what you are supposed to be doing. Save the tricks for some time when you really NEED them.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Here's the message from our manager sent to herself and Bcc'ed (blind carbon copy) to either everyone in the department or a select few, I dunno..me included. (I am out of the office now but check in to work email and tickets periodically during the day, to stay on top of matters since they don't offer current employees refresher training, despite our requests. As such, we pretty much have to self-train and when I'm on duty, there's little/no time for that).

the directive:
--During today’s customer service meeting, you were not logged off from (our CRM ticketing application). The supervisors, myself and the CS management have all stressed the importance of this in the past. It goes without saying that you should all log off from the CRM when you are away from your workstation.
------------

Hmm, panties in a bunch, much? Apparently they have this thing where when you're away from your desk you are asked to log off. Why? After 15 minutes of inactivity, the session expires anyway, logging you off automatically. I don't see what the big deal is if you lock Windows and walk away for a few minutes. Are they afraid someone will answer tickets on someone else's behalf? Would you ask the manager why she's making a big deal of this or just ignore the directive. It's such a hassle to log in and out each time you go to the bathroom and walk around. I see this logging off requirement as a way to spy on us and see how often we do step away from our computers, just like a call center. I thought our office management was a little more lax.
If you fail to follow the directive, you could be fired for insubordination. It's the employer's dime and they have the right to request that employees log in and out of the system while away from their desk. If I were your employer, I'd like to keep tabs on whether my employees are actually working versus goofing off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment